Good News/Bad News
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Good News/Bad News

Good News/Bad News

The bad news: Somebody broke into my truck (F150) yesterday while my HK P2000SK was in the center console.

The good news: The scumbag never got to lay his dirty hands on my pistol.

My HK was locked in an Autosafe made by Sentry Safe. This lockbox was screwed into the bottom of my center console and I also had the steel security cable that it comes with wrapped around the base of the front seat (I had drilled a hole through the side of the console and fed the cable out and around the seat base. The hole is below the level of the seat cushion so it can't be seen unless you're looking for it.) The perp had tried prying the safe open but failed, with only cosmetic damage being done to it.

I usually don't leave my pistol in my truck but I was at a bar with some friends and Florida law (as with most states) does not permit carrying in bars. In the end the lowlife managed to steal $6 or $7 from my truck and nothing else. I hope he uses it to buy some bad crack.

Anyway, the Autosafe performed flawlessly. It's not Fort Knox but the way I have it set up would require a theif to have a prybar, bolt cutters, and and more time than they probably would like to spend inside a vehicle they were robbing. Highly reccommended.

3. Pics?

Here ya go. Note the cable at the bottom of the pics.

Let's try that again.....

I just purchased one of these for my Blazer. Glad to know it works. My console is to small to mount it inside like you did so I use the steel cable to wrap around the seat frame. Glad they didn't get your baby.
    Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress;
    but I repeat myself.
    Mark Twain

7. How do you feel about the enclosure stating that it is a safe? I think I would prefer a safe that didn't advertise what it was.
    They're not illegal immigrants, just undocumented democrats.

I'm not sure it'd make a difference.
    I suspect a locked box in a car is probably where the most valuable items will be and will be the focus of attention regardless of label.

Being in my center console, the box isn't visible to anyone looking through the window. The fact that it has the word "safe" on it isn't going to make a difference one way or the other. Most people have it tucked under their seat (with the cable securing it) so it's not something that's going to be readily visible to a potential thief.

One thing I'd like to point out - the autosafe won't hold a pistol larger than a sub-compact. My G36 and HK SK fit fine but there's very little space left over.

Yup I just bought an autosafe and my Sig P220 carry model won't fit.

Wink

That's a great looking rig but I drive a passenger car, full size 4-door. It has a center console but it's small in comparison to yours.
    Life Member: USMC_DAV_VVA_MOPH_NRA

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast