Are gun belts really worth it? - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are gun belts really worth it?

Rafters has really nice looking stuff. I started to order a shark skin belt from them, but decided to go with an Acker. I then wanted a shark skin holster, but figured I would never use it anyway. I have heard nothing but good about them.
    David

The only person available to protect you 24 hours a day is you.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Muzz View Post
    I've never carried without a 'gun belt'. I figured from all my pre-permit forum browsing that there must really be something to a dedicated carry belt and I ordered one at the same time I ordered my holster, and received them within a few days of each other.
    I know my everyday belt won't do this:

So, yes, I definitely think they're worth it.
    Now that's just cool! :D

I've been using a Wilderness 5 Stitch Instructor's Belt for about a month or so and thought it was as good as my leather gunbelt.

Last Sunday I needed to dress up a little so grabbed my Galco gunbelt, tucked in my VM-II and holstered my P-220. WOW! (I actually said that too!) It was a B - I - G difference! The Wilderness belt is very good but my leather gunbelt is much better. ;) Oh yeah... worth every penny!

ALWAYS carry! ~ NEVER tell!

4. Yes, got mine from The Beltman. Easily one of the best purchases I have made.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Theres a place in Oklahoma City, called Looper leather and law enforcement supply, They make a really good leather belt with a kydex liner in it for $28.00bucks, $32.00 shipped to your door, Just google looper and you will find the site...............
    You can run, But you only get caught tired

6. I often wonder why people have an uber exspensive handgun and holster and then "scrimp" on the belt.

The belt is the foundation, much like the foundation of a house. I carry a 4" N-Frame Revolver daily when I'm not at work. I couldn't do this with a cheap flimsy belt, and get the level of concealment that I do.

So, in answer to your question, yes, gun belts are worth the extra money. When I order a custom holster I also order a custom belt.

Biker

I'm going to go slightly against the consensus here--It depends on the gun and holster. For a standard OWB holster, yes it makes a difference. For an XD subcompact in a Crossbreed IWB, not so much--I've carried it with a flimsy leather belt, a Wilderness 5 stitch, and a Galco. The Wilderness and Galco are a bit easier in the john, but I don't notice any difference any other time.

8. Since it may now be proven that a gunbelt is better...

Is the internal stiffener (Kydex or plastic) really necesary for the gunbelt to function as intended, or is the leather enough for the job?
    No freeman shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    ---Thomas Jefferson: Draft Virginia Constitution, 1776.

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    ---Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759.

I think it depends on the belt. Mine is not a whole lot thicker than a regular belt. Therefore, I think if it did not have the insert it would not be much better than a regular belt. Some are double thick leather horsehide. I think they would be plenty stiff without an insert.
    David

The only person available to protect you 24 hours a day is you.

10. I think the size/weight of weapon and other gear plays a big part too in deciding to get a thick leather belt. I carry a Stainless Steel P-220 most of the time with a spare magazine, a SureFire and a cellular all on my belt.

It reminds me of back when I was a LEO... my duty belt sure wasn't nylon I can tell ya! :D

ALWAYS carry! ~ NEVER tell!

11. Worth it. They hold up better under the weight of what you are carrying on your belt. I can really notice a difference when I am not wearing one. I have two Galco belts one Black, and the other Tan.
    Reputation is what people think you are. Character is who you really are.
    Take care of your character and your reputation will take care of itself.
    ------------------------------------------------
    Also known as "Hunter" on www.utahconcealedcarry.com

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast