Hollow Point V Full Metal Jacket ? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hollow Point V Full Metal Jacket ?

Quote Originally Posted by G50AE View Post
    And should you carry one in the chamber or not? I carry one in the chamber and it's either a Remington Golden Saber or a CCI Gold Dot. Both of these are high quality hollowpoints and will serve you well.
    And should you inform should you meet a cop while carrying one in the chamber
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    "Should".. This word as usual depends on external factors..

Does the state you live (are presently) in require it? Some do..
    What are the circumstances under which you are meeting the cop?

Did you just see the cop being a jerk to someone else just before meeting up with you... (different cops have different personalities!)

This question is too vague to answer to any satisfaction..

I have only had ONE LEO encounter since I started carrying.
    I did NOT inform, but they asked and I said YES (You should NOT lie to a cop!, Say nothing if you wish, change the subject, but don't lie)
    He then said, it would have been nice if I had told him.. Well.. His asking was the 1st thing he asked after saying Hi.. So there wasn't really a chance to say anything.. Later in the encounter.. I asked him (I already knew the answer, but wanted to see what he would say) IF there was a requirement in Florida to inform.. He said NO.. So his point was a point of courtesy and NOT law.. I had just finished bow hunting and in full camouflage at the time, so it would seem to be a logical question/assumption for the cop.

It is funny, because the friend I was with and I had just been discussing this subject earlier in the morning about whether to "inform" or not..

Learn as much as you can (partly by reading through this forum), understand YOUR RIGHTS in your state, and with your education, make a logical decision at the time of the encounter..

Gulf Coast, Floriduh
    Sccy is the limit

Quote Originally Posted by bwg1920 View Post
    Hollow points are better. They expand and penetrate. FMJ's just penetrate. The concern there is going through the intended target and possibly into someone/something else.
    True. I read on one site for a personal security firm that they prefer FMJ - it leaves two holes to bleed from. They aren't that interested in collateral damage, just protecting the one that signs their paychecks.

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    If you wear a CCW Badge it's a moot point.

Thank you for helping me decide what to use!

Quote Originally Posted by rock919 View Post
    Thank you for helping me decide what to use!
    So, what did you decide?
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Quote Originally Posted by vettefreak View Post
    also, the only way that a FMJ round will transfer enough energy to be effective is if it is moving at a very high speed, ie rifle

I spent a few weekends researching ballistic data about the various personal defense rounds available, and from what I have been able to find, the Hornaday Critical Defense has had the most reliable expansion, even thru 4 layers of denim....whereas the Hydra Shock has been found to have a very unreliable and very low expansion rate thru 4 layers of denim.
    I use Hornaday CD and Corbon Pow'rball exclusively in my self-defense weapons.

Shooting somebody with FMJ is like stabbing them with a long screwdriver. A bullet transfers all of it's kinetic energy into the target only when it stops inside that target. With FMJ not only is there no expansion but level of hydrostatic shock it delivers the target is minimal as well. The only time FMJ might be an advantage is if you were shooting through a car door or something like that.
    (Insert random tough-guy quote here)
    "See my gun?? Aren't you impressed?" - Anonymous sheepdog
    The hardware is the same, but the software is vastly different.

Quote Originally Posted by billv View Post
    True. I read on one site for a personal security firm that they prefer FMJ - it leaves two holes to bleed from. They aren't that interested in collateral damage, just protecting the one that signs their paychecks.
    An idiotic theory at best.

Any internal damage will bleed out whether there is an exit wound or not.

That firm must be run by a mall ninja! An incredibly stupid mall-ninja!

-Doc

Quote Originally Posted by B2Tall View Post
    .....The only time FMJ might be an advantage is if you were shooting through a car door or something like that.
    Gold-Dots, HST, Hydra-shock, all penetrate auto material and whole lot of tissue as well!

CCW are not the military, they have no Geneva/Hague convention issues, and they aren't trying to wound multiple enemies with one projectile.

There is no reason for FMJ in CCW!

-Doc

handgonnetoter Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Bighouse Doc View Post
    How many times has this debate come up?

-Doc
    A lot, but all of us are at diffent levels of gun and ammo knowledge.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast