Pistol Safes. - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pistol Safes.

Quote Originally Posted by marcparis View Post
    ... One thing to be aware is that these kinds of Gun lock boxes won't stop a determined thief from taking it and later prying the box open or something...
    Agreed, but I've thought of bolting one to the long arm of my bedframe close to the headboard and wall (with security bolts that cannot be unscrewed) and also using a high-strength security cable looped through it, the bedframe, and attached to a very long and large lag bolt screwed into the wall framing 2x4's behind the sheetrock. Removing the safe would require destroying a wall stud, then toting out the safe connected to a metal bedframe rail.

That should make the safe one that I can easily get to immediately, but be a royal pain the butt to be stolen. This is the best idea I can come up with that will provide immeditate emergency access, protect the pistol from curious youngun's, while offering the best hope of preventing theft. I do have a gunsafe, but it is in another room and would take way to long to access in an emergency. I am trying to come up with a solution that will keep the pistol safe from kids, while also as hard to steal as possible. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I spoke to a guy the other day. We were talking about the cheap wood floors (that recycled sawdust junk called OSB). He suggested two ideas.
    Idea #1: Have a machine shop widen the holes at the bottom of the safe, and use toggle bolts. He suggested to carefully cut out a section of the carpet directly under the lock-box in a way that when you move, you can just glue the piece right back where it was.
    Idea #2: Carefully cut out a section of carpet and place a piece of steel diamond-plate under the carpet, screwed into the floor joists with one-way security screws. Then attach the lock-box to the piece of steel. When you move, just take out the safe and glue the piece of carpet back.
    The little sewer rats have been busy lately in my neighborhood...I'm going to get that done, too, very soon.

Lots of options here: Pistol and Handgun Safes Chat or call Josh at 800-540-1695 x401. He'll give you the lowdown on features and prices, and he'll be honest about what works and what doesn't.

5. Do yourself a favor and don't get anything with electronics; there's the potential for failure and that's the last thing you need when your life depends on it. I personally prefer (and have) this one
    Amazon.com: GunVault NV200 NanoVault with Key Lock, Fits Full Size 1911 Style Pistols: Sports & Outdoors
    It's simple, secure, and reliable.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12