Ankle Holster advice - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ankle Holster advice

Sounds like you are decidedly getting an ankle holster. I've used this DeSantis ankle holster and its the best one I've found.
    A man's life, liberty, and property are only safe when the legislature is NOT in session. Will Rogers

I appreciate all the input from everyone.

The reason IWB won't work is that in front I have too much belly. Also, if the grip should protrude and is seen by anyone, I could lose my job. I could concieveable carry IWB in the small of my back, but sweat is an issue and all the bending and reaching might expose the weapon.

I guess I am contrary to everyone else, but I carried off duty in an ankle holster for years. I am right handed and carry on the outside of my right ankle, since that is where my right hand falls when I draw. Never understood carrying on the inside of my ankle so the gun butt hits my other ankle and I have to draw between my legs.

I have used a Bianchi and a Galco holster, both lined with sheepskin and each had a thumb break for retention. After wearing it for a while, you forget it is there. The Galco has a strap which goes around your upper calf to help keep the gun concealed.

Since most of us sit down all day, either driving or at a desk, the ankle holster is easy to access from that position. Admittedly, it is harder to draw from a standing position, but it is better than not having anything to draw at all.

I have carried both a Smith model 60 and a Walther PPK/S in the ankle holster without any problems.

I still carry that way sometimes, but now I usually carry in a pocket or on my belt.

Just remember that the gun you leave at home will not help you the least in a gunfight.

JMHO

Quote Originally Posted by Lakeland Man View Post
    I appreciate all the input from everyone.

The reason IWB won't work is that in front I have too much belly. Also, if the grip should protrude and is seen by anyone, I could lose my job. I could concieveable carry IWB in the small of my back, but sweat is an issue and all the bending and reaching might expose the weapon.
    Get dress pants with good sized pockets and use a pocket holster mentioned above. Try it. A lot less chance of the firearm showing or "printing" than having your pant leg creep up. No bulge at the bottom of the pant leg either.
    A man's life, liberty, and property are only safe when the legislature is NOT in session. Will Rogers

Alessi. I have many of their holsters. Outstanding quality. Their ankle rigs are the standard by which all others are judged. While I do not condone ankle carry for primary, you know your situation better than I. If you must ankle carry, hedge your bets and get the best ankle holster available: Alessi. Expensive, but the best.
    Say when.

7. What is thought of the chest holster that goes around your back and holds the gun at your side?

I forgot about this holster, the Kangaroo Carry. I have one I bought from Austin Davis at the Wannamachers show in Tulsa. It is extremely comfortable and conceals well, with the gun under your arm. Just wear a larger size shirt and get the correct size for your frame and gun you plan to carry.

9. i love the Ankle carry, its a great stealth carry. i started using one,(not as a primary carry holster) back in the 70'S after seeing Popeye Doyle use one in the French Connection. it has some tactical advantages.

Firearms Circle

Quote Originally Posted by mappow View Post
    If ya gotta CC that way, which I do not recommend, CC on your left leg. Again, not recommended. as a back up maybe, but not as a primary. JMHO
    If you must carry in an ankle holster, practice, practice, practice your draw.
    War to the Knife, Knife to the hilt.
    If we don't want to live in a trashy area, we all have to be willing to help pick up the trash.

11. Let me also make clear that Ankle carry should not be a primary carry, it has some tactical advantages in certain situations, but those percentages are small. I prefer vertical hip carry and recommend it for primary carry, if you decide to use Ankle carry as a primary carry, then a quick/fast/easy access to your weapon is not a primary concern.

i use an Ankle carry when circumstances prevent a Hip carry, a ankle carry is a better option than leaving my weapon home.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast