Every Day Carry Light -- rail-mounted or compact flashlight?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Every Day Carry Light -- rail-mounted or compact flashlight?

Every Day Carry Light -- rail-mounted or compact flashlight?

Hi Everybody,

Enjoying the site. It's nice to know I'm not the only one carrying out there.

I'm wondering what you guys have found handy for an EDC light. A light, like a knife, would come in handy as an everyday tool, and could function in an emergency to blind an opponent or identify a weapon in their hand.

I see two options:

1) A rail-mountable light such as the Glock gtl 10

Is it really realistic that I'm going to use the rail mount with an IWB holster? Probably not.
    Could I carry it in a pouch on my belt? I guess so. But if I've got to mount it, what's the point?
    It's not like I'm clearing houses on a regular basis. (ever)

2) A compact flashlight such as the Fenix LD or TK series.
    I could carry one of these on my belt next to my extra mag. It would be easy enough to carry everyday, provided I stick to the compact line.

Thoughts?
    What do you carry?

-- jwick

My Glock in the nightstand is Option one (Streamlight TLR-3), my EDC carry is option 2 (Fenix LD20).

I rail mounted light in a IWB, I haven't seen a IWB holster that would hold a handgun with a light mounted. I think that the handheld is better for EDC because you are not going to have the time to fumble with putting a light on the gun, you might not have time for the light period.
    Kershaw Shallot 1840, Kel-Tec P-3at, Kel-Tec PF-9, Glock 17, Glock 19, Glock 26, Kel-Tec SUB-2000 9mm (Glock 17 mag compatible), Maverick Arms 88 Security 8-shot 12 gauge.

I carry a light as I feel better about scanning an area with white light without having a gun pointed at something. My laser with follow up with targeting after I found a target.

+1 to what Templing said. Ditto.
    A man's life, liberty, and property are only safe when the legislature is NOT in session. Will Rogers

my house gun M&P .40 has a streamlight tlr-2 (light laser combo) on it, but i carry my springfield XD-subcompact in a crossbreed supertuck and use a streamlight PT2L that clips on my belt, pocket, or cargo pocket and it has 180 lumens of light and a strobe mode. great buy for $40.

7. My edc is a 4Sevens AA2 quark Tactical. It runs on 2 AA's and is great. Because I can get AA's anywhere . It comes with a clip and is quite inexpensive at $60. I carry it everywhere just like my firearm.
    In regards to a weapon mounted light smith and wesson has a new one for $90 on cheaperthandirt.com

Thanks everybody. That really helps sort it out in my mind. I think the most practical move is to go with the stand-alone light, rather than a rail-mounted one.

I have an o light m series light as my handheld. I will eventually buy a trl series light for my handgun, and buy raven concealment (iwb and owb). Why choose one or the other, have both :-)

Like everything now, there are many forums. One forum I read is all about flashlights.
    a while back they took a pole of the members. "If you could only have one flashlight, which one". Over 800 members voted. Here are the top five flashlights from that poll in order.

HDS Systems: HDS Systems - Everyday Carry (EDC) Flashlights
    SureFire 6P Original Flashlight
    H501 Headlamp AA Flood w/ new UI
    NITECORE Official Website| Professional Flashlight manufacturer
    SureFire A2 LED Aviator® Flashlight

I have #3 and #4(my EDC). Both are awesome.

11. i have a streamlight tlr-2s for my glock 17. Even though its a fairly small unit I wouldn't try to and keep it on my pistol IWB.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast