Gym carry? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gym carry?

Have you seen or thought about the smartcarry?
    http://www.smartcarry.com/
    Unless your doing handstands it would be perfect to work out in and it has a sweat proof back panel to protect the gun.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself."
    (George Washington)

http://www.helprebekah.com./

I guess I'm wondering why you feel like you need to carry in the gym. Is there actually a threat potential, or does this fall under the header, "General Paranoia?" There are no products available to suit this need because frankly, there isn't a need. I've never heard of such a thing.
    NRA, GOA, TNFA, TNGCA

Quote Originally Posted by WaltherCC View Post
    I guess I'm wondering why you feel like you need to carry in the gym. Is there actually a threat potential, or does this fall under the header, "General Paranoia?" There are no products available to suit this need because frankly, there isn't a need. I've never heard of such a thing.
    Truth is that you NEVER know when you'll need your firearm for protection. If we were able to predict when an incident WILL happen, I'd sooner be somplace else.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

Ummmmm, yeah, I get that part. But carrying in the gym? I mean c'mon, that's ridiculous. I couldn't live my life that paranoid. Just leave it in your locker. I carry as often as I can as long as it is safe, reasonable, and legal. I certainly don't consider the gym a reasonable place to carry a weapon, if for no other reason then I don't want to get sweat, water bottle moisture, or any other number of unnecessary contaminants on my gun, and I'm really not in to the idea of not having it strapped to my side at all times. It's way more likely someone will steal your fanny pack in the gym then it is that a crazed gun toting meth addict will bust through the front doors filling the air with lead, and that's going to be pretty weak when he swipes your fanny pack and uses your gun against you and your gym buddies. So what do you propose, wear a fanny pack with your gun in it the entire time you work out? Let me know how that works out, man.
    NRA, GOA, TNFA, TNGCA

Do BG ever break in to gym lockers??? I'm not one to leave a LOADED firearm unattended. If you leave it in your car, then you're "at risk" between the car and the gym. If you don't want to carry in the gym, then don't. If another person wants to exercise their right, then why not? There's no reason to slam people here for wanting to protect themselves. The one time you say it will "never" happen, you'll get a rude awakening, and it will.

http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/..._useweights=no

gf
    Last edited by Glock Fan; 04-23-2008 at 12:46 AM. Reason: added link to news article
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

Hey listen, fair enough. If someone wants to exercise ANY right, I'm not going to stand in their way. It is after all, their business and not mine. I completely agree.
    NRA, GOA, TNFA, TNGCA

Quote Originally Posted by WaltherCC View Post
    What makes you think your safe anywhere. Yes people are attacked and killed in gyms(use google and you will see where attacks are not unheard of in gyms) ,food establishments,schools and even in their homes. I carry to protect myself and family, unless it is unlawful to do so where I am , I carry. I hope I never need it but I pray if I do it's not locked in a locker where I can't get to it.

BTW the smartcarry will work perfectly for this need as it has a sweatproof back panel. I know a lot of people who work out and jog using them.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself."
    (George Washington)

http://www.helprebekah.com./

I agree that there is no "safe" place. There may be some places that are more or less likely for one to be attacked. In fact more often than not after an attack the first thing someone says is "I never thought that would happen here." So I do not try to second guess where I may or may not need my firearm but rather make a practice of having it with me as much as possible all the time. Is that being paranoid? If it is then fasting my seat belt to drive two blocks is paranoid. Guess what? I would rather be paranoid than dead.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by HK4U View Post
    I agree that there is no "safe" place. There may be some places that are more or less likely for one to be attacked. In fact more often than not after an attack the first thing someone says is "I never thought that would happen here." So I do not try to second guess where I may or may not need my firearm but rather make a practice of having it with me as much as possible all the time. Is that being paranoid? If it is then fasting my seat belt to drive two blocks is paranoid. Guess what? I would rather be paranoid than dead.

Well said HK. Better to be a little "paranoid" then to wish you were "paranoid" after something happens.

gf

Whenever someone brings up the question of "aren't you being paranoid to carry everywhere?" I am reminded of something that we bring up when teaching concealed carry classes. There is a very good chance that if you start being selective about carry, i.e. only carrying when you think you are going into an "at risk area", the day may come when you are forced to use your weapon to defend yourself and you may then find yourself in court....

Prosecutor: So, why, on the day in question, did you take a gun with you?

You: Because I was going into a risky place and I thought I might need to defend myself.

Prosecutor: Well, if it was a risky place then why didn't you avoid it alltogether?

You: ..........

Prosecutor: Ladies and Gentleman of the jury, it is obvious that the defendant knowingly went into a dangerous situation with the means and intent to shoot someone when he happened upon my client, who was minding his own business and..........

Don't say it can't happen either because we all know some of the utter crap that a lawyer can twist people's words or actions into. It would go much easier like this....

Prosecutor: So, why, on the day in question, did you take a gun with you?

You: I always carry a gun for protection.
    "The Detonics CombatMaster .45 is a premium quality professional tool for the serious handgun expert and combat shooter. It is capable of providing the brute force stopping power of the standard-sized .45 in a size no larger than a snub-nosed .38." Colonel Jeff Cooper

"We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then, is not an act but a habit." Aristotle
    NV Tactical: Northern Virginia's #1 Source for Professional, Tactical Firearms Training

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast