Bed rack for rifle or shotgun - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bed rack for rifle or shotgun

Quote Originally Posted by kwo51 View Post
    Wooden bed can just hang gun racks on side.
    The problem with a captain's bed is that you have drawers in the base frame. You don't have much real estate on the side of the bed frame to mount a rack permanently to the frame without interfering with drawers. You also can't do under the bed with a captain's or platform bed frame.

Racks like the Back-Up are designed to be held in place between the box spring and the mattress. With a captain's bed or a waterbed, you have no box spring. You also need the rack designed in such a way if you have a captain's bed so it does not interfere with opening the drawers. Not a big deal to do to design the rack so it holds the firearm so it is flush or just below the top of the mattress. The designer of the Back-Up has stated he has no plans to design one that will work with captain's or platform beds.
    Know the law; don't ask, don't tell.
    NRA & UT Certified Instructor; CT, FL, NH, NV, OR, PA & UT CCW Holder
    Happy new 1984; 25 years behind schedule. Send lawyers, guns and money...the SHTF...

Quote Originally Posted by netentity View Post
    Under the bed would require you to get to it which would require you to get to the floor of your bedroom to get it. If you have a captain's or water bed, you don't have an under the bed.

With the Back-Up or smiliar bedrack, you could get to the shotgun without getting out of bed. Those few seconds to get to the floor of the bed, get the long gun and point it at the subject may make a difference. Yes, I do see the possible need for it. However until they make a model that'll work with my type of bed frame it is of no use to me.
    So what's the problem with that? Besides, my bed sits pretty low, so if I keep my shotgun underneath it, with the pistol grip sticking out slightly, I can get to it quite easily without getting out of the bed. Whether or not I have to get out of bed doesn't really matter to me, because if in the middle of the night I hear someone breaking in, I'm going to get out of bed anyway to check things out.
    Last edited by tattedupboy; 08-20-2008 at 08:49 AM.

Actually the more I look at it and think about it the more I like it. I may eventually get one although at the moment I have a number of other things that take precedent over it.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

why couldnt you (Capt bed owners) just open slightly a drawer and rest the shotgun on top of the open drawer? Then in the morning when you get up, put the shotgun away, either in the safe/closet or corner..just a thought
    DrLewall
    "Doc"
    Drakes Creeks, AR
    www.kiltsrock.com
    "A gun unloaded and cocked aint good for nuttin!"--Rooster Cogburn

Quote Originally Posted by DrLewall View Post
    why couldnt you (Capt bed owners) just open slightly a drawer and rest the shotgun on top of the open drawer? Then in the morning when you get up, put the shotgun away, either in the safe/closet or corner..just a thought
    • The firearm would be sitting sideways
    • Not a permanent solution
    • Risk of personal injury from stepping on the firearm or a drawer when getting up at the middle of the night for a nature call. With a bed rack, the firearm would be higher up and minimize that risk.
    • Damage to the bedframe; metal object in repeated contact with a wooden object.
    Happy new 1984; 25 years behind schedule. Send lawyers, guns and money...the SHTF...

7. Quote Originally Posted by kwo51 View Post
    Wooden bed can just hang gun racks on side.

That's true, But The BackUp doesn't require being screwed/nailed to the bed so that it doesn't harm your bed. Plus, it is just so convient!

Quote Originally Posted by netentity View Post
    • The firearm would be sitting sideways
    • Not a permanent solution
    • Risk of personal injury from stepping on the firearm or a drawer when getting up at the middle of the night for a nature call. With a bed rack, the firearm would be higher up and minimize that risk.
    • Damage to the bedframe; metal object in repeated contact with a wooden object.
    Only if you keep a round chambered. I don't keep a round chambered on my shotgun, partly, because with a pump shotgun, the clack clack sound of chambering a round is just as effective at deterring a threat as firing a shot is. I actually think this would be an excellent idea.

Quote Originally Posted by tattedupboy View Post
    Only if you keep a round chambered. I don't keep a round chambered on my shotgun, partly, because with a pump shotgun, the clack clack sound of chambering a round is just as effective at deterring a threat as firing a shot is. I actually think this would be an excellent idea.
    I am referring to stepping, tripping over or stubbing your toe on the long gun getting in and out of bed; not an injury from an negligent discharge. While there is a probability of that happening with a chambered round, it's negligible in comparison to stumbling over the firearm and having to possibly spend the rest of the night in an ER getting your foot x-rayed.

10. Feel Safer

I bought it online and I don't have any problems with it. I'm a woman and I clear it without hurting my legs and it's so close that I can grab my shotgun without having to get out of bed. I feel much more prepared to defend myself if someone broke in while I'm sleeping.

And yes, it probably could NEVER work for a waterbed. You should email the company and ask them to come up with a model for that.

Quote Originally Posted by USAProud View Post
    And yes, it probably could NEVER work for a waterbed. You should email the company and ask them to come up with a model for that.
    I did, they basically told me in a polite manner to go pound sand. They have no intention of producing a water or captain bed friendly model.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast