Shoulder Holster Thread - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shoulder Holster Thread

1. My experience tells me the nylon and webbing s/hs aren't worth the price., even when it's next to nothing. Now, in fairness I have experience with only one but that was enough for me. I bought an Uncle Mike's for a scoped hunting revolver. It was just plain awful. Never used it. IMO you get what you pay for. YMMV.

I have one "real" shoulder rig, an old Bianchi X-1 and one I guess you could call a shoulder holster, a Kangaroo that is sort of a belly band with a shoulder loop that goes under a shirt.

I don't use either often but if I am driving long distance, especially if I have to wear a heavy coat in the vehicle, then the I find the shoulder rig is a lot easier to deal with than anything on the beltline. Of course since I live in Florida that does not happen that often.

I have only worn the kanagroo a few times for deep concealment.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoots Running View Post
    My experience tells me the nylon and webbing s/hs aren't worth the price., even when it's next to nothing. Now, in fairness I have experience with only one but that was enough for me. I bought an Uncle Mike's for a scoped hunting revolver. It was just plain awful. Never used it. IMO you get what you pay for. YMMV.
    What does YMMV mean?

5. "Your mileage may vary."

Thanks for clarifying that for me. I think I'll start using that one now.

I also own an unc mike..... the holster is ok but the rig is crap ... will never own another ...
    the Ace Case is inexpensivep but well made, and super comfy, if I had to complain its 1/2" too wide for my frame... an easy fix if I were to be that much put out...and as I grow in age and width ... lol
    Last edited by 340mopar; 09-11-2008 at 09:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tattedupboy View Post
    When I was new to carrying and was trying to find holsters that were dirt cheap, one of the holsters I purchased was a super cheap Uncle Mike's shoulder holster. It was so complicated that I never completely figured out how to put it on and how to keep the gun from moving around. If I ever decide to purchase a shoulder rig again, I'll make sure not to purchase the cheapest one I see again, and will probably look for one made of leather instead of nylon.
    This was my first Store Bought Shoulder rig. I am convinced the only reason they still sell them, is the number of first time buyers that go thru them. I still have it, I guess as a reminder as to why I will never own another...
    SC CWP, NR - NH P/R L
    .45 Randall 1911
    .45 Glock 21

9. My first shoulder holster was an Uncle Mike's. It wasn't so bad. I bought a second for a second gun and eventually bought 2 leather shoulder rigs. I still use them but mostly use the leather ones as they are a bit more comfortable.

They don't pull your pants down. - In fact they can keep them up if you wear tie downs.
    Need to go to the restroom? No problem like using a belt holster.

Driving? Sholder holsters work best for me.

In the summertime I do not use them but when it gets cooler I wear them a lot.

However,

A lot of people just don't like them.
    Adjustment is critical.
    Need a covering garment that you can't take off.
    They are expensive.

I had intended a one-gun, one-holster carry but it just didn't work that way for me.

10. I have a DeSantis for my M&P 9mm that I wear under my heavy, cold weather gear while snowmobiling and four wheeling. Anything on the belt or IWB is just too uncomfortable with all the bouncing in a seated position.

Getting the shoulder rig adjusted just ring and balancing it with two full mags on the opposite side makes it comfortable and secure.

Just not wearable in warmer weather.

TAG

I just went thru 2 years of back issues, and believe me .... the Shoulder rig was so much better during that period. I did not carry as much, heck I did not go many places, but it was easier on my back when I did.
    SC CWP, NR - NH P/R L
    .45 Randall 1911
    .45 Glock 21

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast