Open carry law for Michigan on a motorcycle
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Open carry law for Michigan on a motorcycle

  1. Open carry law for Michigan on a motorcycle

    Can you , by law, open carry on a motorcycle?
    Sent from my HTC6435LVW using USA Carry mobile app

  2.   
  3. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Battle Creek Michigan
    Posts
    1,269
    Perhaps, if you are authorized to openly carry in Michigan. It would be best to check the law. However I would plan a lot of extra time for all of the traffic stops you would undoubtedly encounter on a lengthy trip. I'm sure people would be making calls regarding an armed cyclist.
    Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves? Is it feared, then, that we shall turn our arms each man gainst his own bosom. Congress have no power to disarm the militia...Tenche Coxe, The Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788.

  4. #3
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Flint, Michigan
    Posts
    756
    I live in Michigan, and from what I understand, even on a motorcycle, even though, openly carrying the firearm in a legal manner, being on a motor vehicle, it is still considered a "concealed firearm." However, I would recommend calling the Michigan State Police non emergency number for further clarification. I have called them in the past and their dispatchers, or whom ever is answering the phone is always quite helpful, theyve gone as far as actually pulling out the book on the laws and searching for the answer. You can remain anonymous as well. Hope this helps.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier....One died for your soul; the other for your freedom.

  5. Call the Michigan State Police today, they said you can NOT open carry on a motorcycle. Their only explanation was that at some point it will become concealed due to changing your clothes due to changing weather. I said to her that on sunny days it must be legal than, she then could not answer that question other then "its illegal". Hmmmmm

    Sent from my HTC6435LVW using USA Carry mobile app

  6. #5
    If you are legal to carry concealed then you are good to go. If you can't, then the law states you can't carry it on a motorcycle. Never heard of a 'Sunny day" law.

    And what does a sunny day have to do with it? 60 degree day, 50 MPH, wind chill is 32 degrees. Wear the gear.

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    3,832
    Quote Originally Posted by dcselby1 View Post
    Perhaps, if you are authorized to openly carry in Michigan. It would be best to check the law. However I would plan a lot of extra time for all of the traffic stops you would undoubtedly encounter on a lengthy trip. I'm sure people would be making calls regarding an armed cyclist.
    Seriously? I'm not up on MI laws, but are you not able to open carry normally in MI? That would be the only explanation I can think of for what you wrote. I ride a lot and usually carry concealed. However, on my bike, most of the time I have my firearm sticking out in order to zip up or button up whatever it is that is concealing my gun to keep from flapping in the wind. I have never in many years been pulled over, let alone for carrying.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

  8. #7
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Phoenix Arizona
    Posts
    67
    Quote Originally Posted by 19tinman67 View Post
    Call the Michigan State Police today, they said you can NOT open carry on a motorcycle. Their only explanation was that at some point it will become concealed due to changing your clothes due to changing weather. I said to her that on sunny days it must be legal than, she then could not answer that question other then "its illegal". Hmmmmm

    Sent from my HTC6435LVW using USA Carry mobile app
    That response from the Dispatcher is funny. Talk to a Certified Police Officer. MOST dispatchers are not LEO, but civilians. I have a sister in CA that is CSI, and even SHE is not a Sworn LEO.

    I have an advantage as I live in AZ and have no worries either way, and when I DO OC the cops here don't even look twice at me while riding. I would THINK that if OC is allowed then you SHOULD be good to go, and if you have a CCW/CCL then they shouldn't care either way.

  9. #8
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Phoenix Arizona
    Posts
    67
    "And what does a sunny day have to do with it? 60 degree day, 50 MPH, wind chill is 32 degrees. Wear the gear."

    Gear? GEAR? WE don't NEED no stinking GEAR!!!

  10. I hope you would never need to set the bike down but a skid on top of a firearm might make matters worse.

  11. #10
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Flint, Michigan
    Posts
    756
    Quote Originally Posted by wolf_fire View Post
    Seriously? I'm not up on MI laws, but are you not able to open carry normally in MI? That would be the only explanation I can think of for what you wrote. I ride a lot and usually carry concealed. However, on my bike, most of the time I have my firearm sticking out in order to zip up or button up whatever it is that is concealing my gun to keep from flapping in the wind. I have never in many years been pulled over, let alone for carrying.
    I havent heard that its Illegal to carry on a motorcycle, the law just says its concidered concealed while on a motorcycle, due to it being a vehicle and they language the law uses states a motorcycle is still a motor vehicle, hence concidered concealed on a bike. Ive seen people OC on bikes, and even were next to cops at a stop light, no issue.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier....One died for your soul; the other for your freedom.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast