Springfield XD 45 Compact with Viridian C5L
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Springfield XD 45 Compact with Viridian C5L

  1. #1

    Question Springfield XD 45 Compact with Viridian C5L

    Does anyone carry this combo, whether concealed or open? I have their ECR Kydex holster and while it serves the purpose at the range, and worn under a long shirt to conceal it, I'd prefer something a bit more discrete. I believe I've posted on this before on other forums, but as this site is devoted to carry, I think I'm more likely to get applicable responses here. One of my stipulations on a holster is that I'm virtually certain I want to go with leather, and not Kydex, as the consensus I've encountered suggests that Kydex is more prone to scratching your finish than leather, in that leather will wipe away grit that would rub into the finish, whereas with Kydex it will hold it in place to grind into your finish.

    That being said, I'm not opposed to spending money on something that suits my purposes, including custom work up to about $150 if it does the job right. I'm thinking a pancake setup is likely the way to go for me as IWB might be too bulky with the size of this handgun with the Viridian C5L mounted on the rail. I had searched around for others that have posted about carrying this particular pistol with a C5L but haven't really uncovered much, if anything. Again, my particular focus is on the right holster for me. One of the outfits that seems to have caught my eye was Zlogonje Gunleathers as he does a lot of cool custom stuff.

    Anyone have any thoughts based upon experience on carrying an XD 45 Compact concealed with a C5L on the rail? What do you use?

  2.   
  3. I have the xds 45 w/cl5 so i purchased a hidden hybrid holster (kydex). Its a very well made holster but I have a slender build so i just don't have a large enough waist to conceal that much bulk. I like the xds/cl5 combo but struggle with concealment. Someone with a larger waist maybe 38"& above should find this rig effective.

  4. #3
    I have the XD-S in .45 as well and haven't gotten around to finding a suitable carry setup for it yet but it's on my list as well. I have a few jackets for cooler weather that it fits in just fine. I have several other pistols that I rotate between, for now, but still on the lookout for a quality carry rig for my XD 45 Compact with my Viridian C5L, which I really enjoy and appreciate having mounted, and it's not something I'd prefer to leave behind when I holster.

  5. Quote Originally Posted by spasmonaut View Post
    I have the XD-S in .45 as well and haven't gotten around to finding a suitable carry setup for it yet but it's on my list as well. I have a few jackets for cooler weather that fits in just fine. I have several other pistols that I rotate between for now but still on the lookout for a quality carry rig for my XD 45 Compact with my Viridian C5L which I really enjoy and appreciate having mounted, and it's not something I'd prefer to leave behind when I holster.
    I have an XDS 45 also and I like the N82 Tactical IWB.

    Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk HD

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Pasco, Washington, United States
    Posts
    6,271
    Quote Originally Posted by spasmonaut View Post
    Does anyone carry this combo, whether concealed or open? I have their ECR Kydex holster and while it serves the purpose at the range, and worn under a long shirt to conceal it, I'd prefer something a bit more discrete. I believe I've posted on this before on other forums, but as this site is devoted to carry, I think I'm more likely to get applicable responses here. One of my stipulations on a holster is that I'm virtually certain I want to go with leather, and not Kydex, as the consensus I've encountered suggests that Kydex is more prone to scratching your finish than leather, in that leather will wipe away grit that would rub into the finish, whereas with Kydex it will hold it in place to grind into your finish.

    That being said, I'm not opposed to spending money on something that suits my purposes, including custom work up to about $150 if it does the job right. I'm thinking a pancake setup is likely the way to go for me as IWB might be too bulky with the size of this handgun with the Viridian C5L mounted on the rail. I had searched around for others that have posted about carrying this particular pistol with a C5L but haven't really uncovered much, if anything. Again, my particular focus is on the right holster for me. One of the outfits that seems to have caught my eye was Zlogonje Gunleathers as he does a lot of cool custom stuff.

    Anyone have any thoughts based upon experience on carrying an XD 45 Compact concealed with a C5L on the rail? What do you use?
    I carry the xds .45 with a viridian c5lr. I make my own kydex and leather holsters.

    I'm not sure where you got your consensus, but I feel the complete opposite after working with both materials. It's much easier to rinse off my kydex, and get the grit out, than my leather which embeds grit if I'm in a dirty environment.

    Springfield XD 45 Compact with Viridian C5L-1376099490176.jpg
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

  7. #6
    To me it just seems the harder Kydex surface and the textured finish would be more likely to create wear marks in the finish, more than a softer leather would. I've heard at least several times from other holster makers that use both materials that they prefer leather to minimize finish wear, and particularly go with a layer of leather with the grain side facing the finish to ease up wearing the finish. Couple that with a snug fit aimed at minimizing movement of the gun, which naturally will prevent additional friction and rubbing, and it should be relatively gentle on the gun. I will give you that cleaning a Kydex holster would be infinitely easier, no question about it. Perhaps this is one of those contested topics that may really never have an absolutely definitive conclusion, and I'm OK with that. I base my experiences on leather holsters primarily on a Bianchi holster that my dad used with his S&W 686 which now belongs to me, although I realize a polished stainless finish is going to wear differently than an applied finish would.

    Do you feel that the C5L mounted on yours created any noticeable bulk in the development of a suitable holster to the extent that you can tell a difference while wearing the holster? It seems so small I'd have a hard time imagining it would, but wanted to get your thoughts.

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Pasco, Washington, United States
    Posts
    6,271
    Quote Originally Posted by spasmonaut View Post
    To me it just seems the harder Kydex surface and the textured finish would be more likely to create wear marks in the finish, more than a softer leather would. I've heard at least several times from other holster makers that use both materials that they prefer leather to minimize finish wear, and particularly go with a layer of leather with the grain side facing the finish to ease up wearing the finish. Couple that with a snug fit aimed at minimizing movement of the gun, which naturally will prevent additional friction and rubbing, and it should be relatively gentle on the gun. I will give you that cleaning a Kydex holster would be infinitely easier, no question about it. Perhaps this is one of those contested topics that may really never have an absolutely definitive conclusion, and I'm OK with that. I base my experiences on leather holsters primarily on a Bianchi holster that my dad used with his S&W 686 which now belongs to me, although I realize a polished stainless finish is going to wear differently than an applied finish would.

    Do you feel that the C5L mounted on yours created any noticeable bulk in the development of a suitable holster to the extent that you can tell a difference while wearing the holster? It seems so small I'd have a hard time imagining it would, but wanted to get your thoughts.
    I have to agree that just like most topics that involve firearms, everyone's opinions are going to be different.

    In my opinion, any edc with an applied finish will show and should show wear with all the training that should be done.

    In my experience, here is why I feel leather has worn on my firearms more than my kydex. Like I said before, I can't clean my leather holsters as well as my kydex. Leather also holds moisture, whether it's cleaning, weather, or sweat, moisture reaches my firearm. And remember, leather has been used for ages to sharpen razors. I feel it takes more surface fiction to get the same retention in a leather holster.

    That being said, I still enjoy my leather holsters, wear be damned. They are quiet on the draw, and look sexy. They are softer and more conforming to the body, and so very comfortable.

    I'll still choose kydex though because I feel more confident with that style holster.

    I'm regards to added bulk. I do not notice any extra bulk, weight nor size, with the attachment. With light and laser capabilities, and no extra bulk, it's a no brainer for me to keep it on my firearm...I do feel making holsters to fit the c5l is much much harder due to its shape...I only know of a couple other makers that make holsters to fit this attachment.

    My last post was my owb holster to fit the xds c5lr. Attached here is my iwb.




    Sent from my HTCONE using USA Carry mobile app
    Attached Images Attached Images Springfield XD 45 Compact with Viridian C5L-1377493102254.jpg 
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

  9. I carry a full size XD45 4" in a Tread Softly Concealment holster (its a crossbreed supertuck style) and when I want to carry at work I have a Kakadu Traders-Delta ccw vest and I love it looks like a fishing vest and I work at a Boat store building aluminum boats and live in a town that is right on the Mississippi River so I don't get any second looks even when I go to larger cities causr most of the area I live in is river towns/cities. The vest is basically like a sewn in shoulder holster setup and has a holster on either side with 1 double stack and 1 single stack mag pouch on both sides so if you want to carry a 1911 and a XD you can also carry 2 mags for each weapon. Whenever we go somewhere and my wife doesn't want to take her purse with her I just slip her 380 into the 2nd holster in my vest works great. I plan on getting an XDS at some point so I can carry my XD with 2 spare mags and an XDS with 2 spare mags since my vest will accommodate 2 double stack mags and 2 single stack mags and 2 handguns I figure why not lol.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast