Do you believe that a laser is beneficial on a CCW? - Page 10

View Poll Results: Do you believe that a laser is beneficial on a CCW?

Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

39 51.32%
  • No

31 40.79%
  • I have not make up my mind

6 7.89%
Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you believe that a laser is beneficial on a CCW?

Quote Originally Posted by Firefighterchen View Post
    Clarification please, if I put a laser on my firearm, I can no longer point shoot? Or use iron sights?

Sent from my HTCONE using USA Carry mobile app
    Not saying that at all........In my experience once someone puts a laser on their gun, they let their other skills diminish. The laser becomes a crutch. Just saying it is a tool an nothing more. Not much difference than the sights on your gun. One falls off and all you know is sighted fire, ya got a problem.
    BTTBBOB
    President & Chief Instructor
    www.sflagunschool.com

Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    in most SD situations you will be dead long before you are able to line your iron sights or your laser sights. until y'all learn how to point shoot, you are all potential victims
    I don't understand why you are such a jackass. Laser sights are tools that can be used in some situations. Not putting them on because you think you can point shoot in every situation shows a great lack of understanding because there ARE situations where point shooting would be downright dangerous. Those of us who have them are smart enough to know that and know that they are just one of the tools available to us. Quite frankly, I can't think of a situation involving potential victims from errant shots where I would want to depend on point shooting. I would much rather depend on my iron sights or my laser in that case. When I was much younger, I would point shoot jack rabbits from my tractor. Could I stop them in one shot? Sometimes, but I'm not stupid enough to depend on point shooting in a situation where other people's lives are on the line. Only a fool would do that.

another mall ninja? at 3 feet, which is what the majority of SD situations occur in, if you are properly trained you really don't need to do much more than pull the trigger.
    any time you care to visit my little slice of FLA please contact me, we can go shooting at my FOP range and I guarantee you that at anywhere from 1 to 8 feet I will draw and fire and put every round into an 8 inch paper plate. if you want to play come on down
    My God, I hope you could hit something that large at that short distance. I was point shooting jack rabbits at 30 to 50 feet, and a lot of times on the run. Really, that's not much to brag about.

This is something I stole from Bttbbob on another thread. I think it shows there are a lot of factors to take into consideration before opening fire, especially when there are other people's lives involved.

TOP 10 Failures of Concealed Carry Crowd
    1-Failure to realize just because you have a gun, you are prepared to apply it in a practical application.
    2-Failure to carry a gun of substantial caliber.
    3-Failure to properly equip oneself. (Belt, holster, reloads,illumination and nonlethal weapons)
    4-Failure to understand situational awareness and its use.
    5-Failure to understand the fundamentals of marksmanship and firearms safety.
    6-Failure to understand Avoid, Evade and Escape Drills.
    7-Failure to Train.
    8-Failure to Practice.
    9-Failure to maintain and care for Firearms and equipment.
    10-Failure to carry at all times where legal.

Brought to you by Bob Harvey.......Chief Instructor at South Florida Gun SchoolTOP 10 Failures of Concealed Carry Crowd

Finally, anyone who thinks that one type of shooting (laser sights, iron sights, or point shooting) will handle any situation is someone to avoid being around because they could get you killed.

Blog Entries
    another mall ninja? at 3 feet, which is what the majority of SD situations occur in, if you are properly trained you really don't need to do much more than pull the trigger.
    any time you care to visit my little slice of FLA please contact me, we can go shooting at my FOP range and I guarantee you that at anywhere from 1 to 8 feet I will draw and fire and put every round into an 8 inch paper plate. if you want to play come on down
    another jackass that not only knows everything, but is better than everybody else at everything...is this on ps3 or xbox360?

Quote Originally Posted by Bttbbob View Post
    Not saying that at all........In my experience once someone puts a laser on their gun, they let their other skills diminish. The laser becomes a crutch. Just saying it is a tool an nothing more. Not much difference than the sights on your gun. One falls off and all you know is sighted fire, ya got a problem.
    My response was more rhetorical, and aimed towards apv...but I enjoy your posts anyways, and agree. Training is key. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by tricolordad View Post
    another jackass that not only knows everything, but is better than everybody else at everything...is this on ps3 or xbox360?
    I believe it's called "aim bot."

Sent from my HTCONE using USA Carry mobile app
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by bo_leggs View Post
    My God, I hope you could hit something that large at that short distance. I was point shooting jack rabbits at 30 to 50 feet, and a lot of times on the run. Really, that's not much to brag about.
    I really couldn't care what you or anyone else can shoot, I carry a weapon to protect myself, I train to make myself better at protecting myself and a laser is a tool that will get you killed in a SD situation. you need to understand that microseconds can be the difference between winning a losing a battle and if you are too dense to grasp that basic concept, this dialog is over

Quote Originally Posted by bo_leggs View Post
    I don't understand why you are such a jackass. Laser sights are tools that can be used in some situations. Not putting them on because you think you can point shoot in every situation shows a great lack of understanding because there ARE situations where point shooting would be downright dangerous.
    jackass? how clever.
    now could you please elaborate on when point shooting would be downright dangerous?

10. Quote Originally Posted by Inocense View Post
    1. Yes
    2. No
    3. My mind is not made up

Comments? Suggestions? Opinions?
    No. A guy at a local gun shop was trying to advocate them saying that if someone broke in your house you could often ward them off by just shining the laser at them. My reply was, a) I don't like moving targets and b) if they get out of my house that easy, they may be inclined to try again. Whereas a bullet wound or death may make them think otherwise. But that's just one reason I don't like them. Another is because compared to a bright ass light, a laser doesn't disorient the other person, and so if they have a gun, the red dot just gives them something to aim at. And normally the gun is in front of your body/head, so that's probably what they would hit. I believe that learning how to aim your gun without using any time of sights and just off of "feel" is your best bet for night time defense. You would have to have good enough composure to think to use a laser or night sights.

I voted no, primarily because the odds of you remembering to activate the laser if needed in an emergency. Of course, you do have the lasers such as Crimson Trace which activate automatically when gripped but I'm going to be looking down the barrel rather than pondering where any laser dot is floating around on my target. I guess the laser could have it's time to shine but I don't see it as being practical or necessary. I'd rather spend the money on ammunition to practice or a good set of night sights for low light situations.

Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast