Do you believe that a laser is beneficial on a CCW? - Page 18

View Poll Results: Do you believe that a laser is beneficial on a CCW?

Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

39 51.32%
  • No

31 40.79%
  • I have not make up my mind

6 7.89%
Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast

Thread: Do you believe that a laser is beneficial on a CCW?

There are pro's and con's to laser use for CCW, but for what it's worth, this is synopsis of a discussion I had at a LGS a while ago.

Depending on the laser, and how it turns on, will be a determining factor of whether it will be beneficial. If you're faced with someone rushing at you, you'll barely have time to react and draw, so if you have to find the tiny button on the side of the laser with you index finger, press it, then move your finger onto the trigger with adrenaline pumping...probably not too beneficial. If, however, the button is located below the trigger guard on the grip, your middle finger will naturally be in the right place without having to 'look' for the button. As you grip the gun, the laser goes on, and you can get your trigger finger into position immediately and instinctively.

Now, lets assume that the BG has charged and you are in a hand to hand scuffle, or you have been wrestled to the ground. If your gun is in your hand and even if the assailant has your arm pinned or partially immobile, the pressure of your grip will keep the laser on and if you can move your wrist, it's likely you can get the gun pointed at the BG. Without a laser, you have absolutely no way to get your sight picture since your arm is extended or immobile....MAYBE you hit him, MAYBE you don't.....but... with the laser, if you can manipulate your wrist and see the dot on the BG... need I say more?

Five things every handgun owner should know.

#1 The range can't prepare you for every situation.

Read the rest at:
    5 Things Handgun Owners Should Know | Official Crimson Trace

Quote Originally Posted by AndeyHall View Post
    Yeah, I learned that those who like lasers are always going to like lasers, those who hate lasers are always going to hate lasers, and those who are on the fence trying to get some unbiased opinions are screwed.
    I was on that fence at one time, but fell off on the pro-laser side when I realized that there ARE situations where lasers would be advantageous, and I learned it from Concealed Carry magazine.

5. Quote Originally Posted by bo_leggs View Post
    I was on that fence at one time, but fell off on the pro-laser side when I realized that there ARE situations where lasers would be advantageous, and I learned it from Concealed Carry magazine.
    Haha I'm glad to hear it. There's probably no way you could have ever come to any good consensus trying to wade through this BS.

My wife and I have Crimson Trace grip activated lasers on all of our handguns. We train with them on and with them turned off. When we train "carjacking" in our closed garage they can be most helpful because it's a draw and fire practice. Yes, weapons are empty!

We also use the lasers to make sure we are not lifting the firearm during live fire practice. Have someone watch and see if the laser moves during shooting, that means your firearm is moving.

I have a Springfield XD9 subcompact. My husband bought a laser for it. It attaches on the rail in front of the trigger guard. While it is fun to use at the range (terrible outside in the sun), I find that I am more accurate without it. I do think it has helped me a lot with trigger control. The biggest problem with it is my gun no longer fits in the holster.
    "Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword, obviously never encountered automatic weapons" General MacArthur

8. Does Lasermax make a guide rod laser for a commander 1911?

Quote Originally Posted by AndeyHall View Post
    Does Lasermax make a guide rod laser for a commander 1911?

Guide Rod Lasers

10. Quote Originally Posted by bo_leggs View Post
    Those were only for the 5" 1911's, and turns out they don't make any 1911 guide rod lasers anymore.

The primary advantage I see to having a laser (with the clear assumption that it is zeroed) is that it is e plausible to find yourself in a situation where you cannot or should not use your sights... firing around cover, for example. Also on some of the smaller guns you really don't get good sights so having a laser speeds aiming considerably.

Practice is key, in any case.
    d( -.- )b

Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast