Do you believe that a laser is beneficial on a CCW? - Page 19

View Poll Results: Do you believe that a laser is beneficial on a CCW?

Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    39 51.32%
  • No

    31 40.79%
  • I have not make up my mind

    6 7.89%
Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 193

Thread: Do you believe that a laser is beneficial on a CCW?

  1. Great to have but shouldn't be relied on.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2.   
  3. I don't understand why you would need a laser site. Your potential target in a CCW self-defense situation is likely to be no farther than 10-15 yards away. If you cannot hit a human target at that range, you shouldn't be carrying.

  4. Quote Originally Posted by Matt1861 View Post
    I don't understand why you would need a laser site. Your potential target in a CCW self-defense situation is likely to be no farther than 10-15 yards away. If you cannot hit a human target at that range, you shouldn't be carrying.
    Happens to police every single day and they have a 20% hit rate in their shootings collectively. I don't care how efficient or accurate you are on the range, even out to 50 yards...you have no idea what stress and adrenaline will do to your aim in a SHTF moment. That being said, I'm not sure where a laser is going to correct that. Not saying that don't have their legitimate uses in those situations, I just can't think of one personally.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #184
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    The Lowcountry of South Carolina
    Posts
    2,039
    Quote Originally Posted by AndeyHall View Post
    Happens to police every single day and they have a 20% hit rate in their shootings collectively. I don't care how efficient or accurate you are on the range, even out to 50 yards...you have no idea what stress and adrenaline will do to your aim in a SHTF moment.
    I agree, if you are feeling like challenging yourself and have the facilities available, go for a run or do some exercises to get your heart rate up and the blood pumping then immediately empty a magazine and see how good you do. This will simulate SOME of the physical reaction to a fight or flight scenario, and will still address none of the mental aspects.
    Chief

  6. #185
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Winfield, West Virginia, United States
    Posts
    267
    Nope for me. I tend to stay away at night as I don't do things to put me in harm's way. I am more likely to be attacked during the day when I am out. In bright sunlight, the laser would be useless.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. #186
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    54
    Quote Originally Posted by whodat2710 View Post
    I agree, if you are feeling like challenging yourself and have the facilities available, go for a run or do some exercises to get your heart rate up and the blood pumping then immediately empty a magazine and see how good you do. This will simulate SOME of the physical reaction to a fight or flight scenario, and will still address none of the mental aspects.
    Last week I parked 2 or so miles from the range and ran in. About 15 mins. Took about 3 minutes from when I stopped running to my first shot (I had called ahead and am good friends with the range manager).

    While I was able to see fairly well (no tunnel vision) and there was no time compression, I had a hell of a time staying on target through the first mag.

    Other than setting that up on a routine basis, I can't see a good way of getting used to the stress of a situation.

  8. Quote Originally Posted by Geosan1030 View Post
    Last week I parked 2 or so miles from the range and ran in. About 15 mins. Took about 3 minutes from when I stopped running to my first shot (I had called ahead and am good friends with the range manager).

    While I was able to see fairly well (no tunnel vision) and there was no time compression, I had a hell of a time staying on target through the first mag.

    Other than setting that up on a routine basis, I can't see a good way of getting used to the stress of a situation.
    Being put in that type of situation on a routine basis, even simulated if you can duplicate the adrenaline rush, is the ONLY way to learn how to calmly and affectively deal with that kind of stress IMHO.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. #188
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    The Lowcountry of South Carolina
    Posts
    2,039
    Quote Originally Posted by Geosan1030 View Post
    Last week I parked 2 or so miles from the range and ran in. About 15 mins. Took about 3 minutes from when I stopped running to my first shot (I had called ahead and am good friends with the range manager).

    While I was able to see fairly well (no tunnel vision) and there was no time compression, I had a hell of a time staying on target through the first mag.

    Other than setting that up on a routine basis, I can't see a good way of getting used to the stress of a situation.
    Now imagine if you were ready to fire and didn't have that 3min lag from running to shooting. I can't do any better, I was just trying to make the "hotshot" think of this in a realistic way. I applaud you for doing 2 miles in 15 minutes! I haven't been able to do that in a few years
    Chief

  10. #189
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    State of Confusion
    Posts
    7,733
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt1861 View Post
    I don't understand why you would need a laser site. Your potential target in a CCW self-defense situation is likely to be no farther than 10-15 yards away. If you cannot hit a human target at that range, you shouldn't be carrying.

    Low light situations. Some lighting doesn't play well with either steel or tritium sights. Persons who need glasses for sighting or reading may not get a good sight picture. Distance is irrelevant. Lasers are applicable at all distances however most self-defense situations occur at about 7 feet, not 15 yards. The best use of lasers is to practice trigger control using snap-caps.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

  11. #190
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Winfield, West Virginia, United States
    Posts
    267
    I am going to buy my first hand gun for CCW and am following this closely.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast