Do you believe that a laser is beneficial on a CCW? - Page 5

View Poll Results: Do you believe that a laser is beneficial on a CCW?

Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    39 51.32%
  • No

    31 40.79%
  • I have not make up my mind

    6 7.89%
Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 193

Thread: Do you believe that a laser is beneficial on a CCW?

  1. I sure would like to know how you OWL eyes shoot in the dark without any aid. I guess maybe snipers are pretty sorry shots for using scopes. I mean REALLY, practice with the iron sights and your muscle memory will get you to do the right techniques. A hand held flashlight shows the perp, your laser brings him down when you can't see your sights. I'll bet anyone on this sight, that shooting against me or anyone else on this sight on a dark night, we use flashlights and a laser, you go with just iron sights and we will beat you. Yeah it's that simple.

  2.   
  3. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvercliff_46 View Post
    I sure would like to know how you OWL eyes shoot in the dark without any aid. I guess maybe snipers are pretty sorry shots for using scopes. I mean REALLY, practice with the iron sights and your muscle memory will get you to do the right techniques. A hand held flashlight shows the perp, your laser brings him down when you can't see your sights. I'll bet anyone on this sight, that shooting against me or anyone else on this sight on a dark night, we use flashlights and a laser, you go with just iron sights and we will beat you. Yeah it's that simple.
    and if your adversary is behind cover, your light gives away your position, bang you're dead

  4. #43
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Pasco, Washington, United States
    Posts
    6,271
    Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    and if your adversary is behind cover, your light gives away your position, bang you're dead
    Do you assume the weapon light is on constantly?

    Sent from my HTCONE using USA Carry mobile app
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

  5. #44
    A laser is just another tool that, with good quality training and practice, can be brought to bear in some situations where using your firearm successfully might otherwise be difficult. It will not, of itself, correct underlying shooting flaws/weaknesses; in fact I have seen it magnify them. It can be a very useful training tool, particularly for dry fire practice. I do not counsel flat-out against lasers, but I would not rely on them. I recommend that you be able to use your firearm effectively, even in reduced lighting situations, without it. If you are going to use one make sure you get quality training in how to employ it properly. I do not use a laser on my carry firearms. I do have night sights on them.

  6. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefighterchen View Post
    Do you assume the weapon light is on constantly?
    a light on constantly or just a flash from one will give away your position. In my home I use many night lights there are no completely dark areas within the home, I don't want or need to use a flashlight and lasers are not for me either

  7. #46
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Pasco, Washington, United States
    Posts
    6,271
    Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    a light on constantly or just a flash from one will give away your position. In my home I use many night lights there are no completely dark areas within the home, I don't want or need to use a flashlight and lasers are not for me either
    Maybe so, and that's your prerogative . I feel the benefit of knowing my target and what's behind it, and temporarily blinding the unknown target, outweighs comprising my position...which inside the home will be a fortified position.

    Outside the home, the environment is to dynamic to say if ambient light will be enough.
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

  8. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    looking for where the laser is on your target slows you down
    Yes, the same as it takes to point and shoot, and less than using your sights. Get off it, man, a CT laser won't slow you down one bit.

  9. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by JCliff View Post
    A laser is just another tool that, with good quality training and practice, can be brought to bear in some situations where using your firearm successfully might otherwise be difficult. It will not, of itself, correct underlying shooting flaws/weaknesses; in fact I have seen it magnify them. It can be a very useful training tool, particularly for dry fire practice. I do not counsel flat-out against lasers, but I would not rely on them. I recommend that you be able to use your firearm effectively, even in reduced lighting situations, without it. If you are going to use one make sure you get quality training in how to employ it properly. I do not use a laser on my carry firearms. I do have night sights on them.
    It seems to be a tool that some like to diss. Too bad for them, because they may need them someday. About 10 years ago I quit going to my local Optometrist and started going to an Ophthalmologist. The first time I visited him my ocular pressures were both over 20, so I went to see him every six months for the next three years. During that time he never prescribed anything to try to bring the pressure down, and each time I went to see him I gave them a list of my meds. There was one medication that I decided to quit taking because of some of the side affects I was having. After I quit it, my ocular pressure returned to normal, however, the high pressure had damaged the optic nerve in my right eye, my dominant eye, and no matter what corrections my glasses make, they still can't overcome the damage done.

    Sure, I can use my iron sights, but my shooting with them isn't as accurate as using my laser, and that's why all of my pistols are getting laser sights. Those who diss them should shut their mouths because they might need them someday, and crow is terrible eating.

  10. Again, I predominantly practice with my iron sights. I practice enough with my laser to be familiar with them. The muscle memory from practice will not go away just because I practice with my laser. In addition I am not John Wayne, if I can hide behind cover, peak through a crack, while being able to focus my laser on the perp just sticking my gun hand out, then good on me. Lasers are a tool, just like scopes, muzzle suppressors, slings, or anything else. I don't get the attitude against them? What about fiber optic front sights? I shot with them also, I think they are great, but I can still go back and shoot my Glock, and do well with straight iron sights. Maybe you guys against laser's should take the time to shoot different set ups so you will be better prepared to shoot with what ever you may get your hands on. Adapt, Modify, Over Come! Hell I know that and I was only a Squid.

  11. #50
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    The Lowcountry of South Carolina
    Posts
    2,039
    Quote Originally Posted by JCliff View Post
    A laser is just another tool that, with good quality training and practice, can be brought to bear in some situations where using your firearm successfully might otherwise be difficult. It will not, of itself, correct underlying shooting flaws/weaknesses; in fact I have seen it magnify them. It can be a very useful training tool, particularly for dry fire practice. I do not counsel flat-out against lasers, but I would not rely on them. I recommend that you be able to use your firearm effectively, even in reduced lighting situations, without it. If you are going to use one make sure you get quality training in how to employ it properly. I do not use a laser on my carry firearms. I do have night sights on them.
    I have one on my LC9. It is a great training tool. I shoot 10 of every 50rds with the laser. After shooting through my regular training regimen (which has been adjusted to use fewer rounds) I shoot the last 10 with the laser. Since I am already locked in on the iron sight part, I shoot the first 1 or 2 just to check the zero on the laser. After that I like to see how steady I can make the trigger pull, and nothing will show you where you are having issues like trying to keep an itty-bitty dot on an x.
    -
    I do still have the laser on my gun after the range. If I need ity it is there. It adds no weight, does not alter how I carry, draw or aim. There is no downside for me, and if I decided that i needed it, it's there.
    Chief

Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast