Do you believe that a laser is beneficial on a CCW?

View Poll Results: Do you believe that a laser is beneficial on a CCW?

Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

39 51.32%
  • No

31 40.79%
  • I have not make up my mind

6 7.89%
Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you believe that a laser is beneficial on a CCW?

Do you believe that a laser is beneficial on a CCW?

1. Yes
    2. No
    3. My mind is not made up

Comments? Suggestions? Opinions?

Yes, but it's like anything else. You have to practice with it. Practice, practice, practice. Also, one must remember that it is an aiming aid, and not the end-all-be-all. So, I practice with and without my laser.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using USA Carry mobile app
    If you can't hit it with 8, you sure as hell aren't going to hit it with 21.

You should learn to aim & fire your weapon accuratly without depending on a crutch. Also they seem to get off calibration very easily. At the range I see these dots dancing all over targets and rarely does the round go where the dot is.
    Learn to use your weapon properly. Forget the novelty items.
    Also mounting a flashlight on your gun?? Yeah right. the light is an easy primary target.

The Great State of Texas "Remember the Alamo"
    Quote Originally Posted by Everclear View Post
    You should learn to aim & fire your weapon accuratly without depending on a crutch. Also they seem to get off calibration very easily. At the range I see these dots dancing all over targets and rarely does the round go where the dot is.
    Learn to use your weapon properly. Forget the novelty items.
    Also mounting a flashlight on your gun?? Yeah right. the light is an easy primary target.
    ^^^What He Said^^^
    Fascist's are Magicians...They can make our Property, our Freedom's & even our Children 'Disappear'.
    ~Outlaw~

I think the question would be better stated, 'Does it hurt to have a laser installed...'

I have one on my CCW as I don't think that it hurts, and can definitely help. I agree that you should practice mostly without it, however I will take any possible edge that I can get if I am in a situation where I have to draw my firearm.

UD

Laser's shouldn't be relied on. Shooters must learn the proper fundamentals including sight alignment, sight picture and trigger control. Once they're good to go a laser can be a good training tool when used with snap-caps to work on trigger control. My wife has CT grips on her guns as a backup but she also has TruGlo TFO sights and is a very accurate shooter without a laser.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

8. I like a laser on the small pocket pistols. They have a very small sight radius and even smaller sights. Also, when you need to use them, I can focus on the attacker and not the front sight of my pistol.

However, I also agree that you need to practice without them and make sure you are competent without them. Finally, don't go cheap. I have seen the cheaper lasers switch off during recoil. Also, I like the Crimson Trace as they are not constantly on. I have a friend who took his pistol out of the case and then realized he left the laser on when he cased it.

Regarding flashlights, I have to use one anyways since I have others in my house. When I am searching my house; I have a flashlight in my hand. If I see someone and have to draw, I drop the flashlight (on a lanyard) and then turn on the flashlight on my pistol. As far as giving away my position, I suppose I am doing that. But I am also a middle aged fat man so my ninja days are pretty much over. If he sees me coming and decides to jump out the window and run away, I'm fine with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Everclear View Post
    Ya, randomly throwing lead at vague silhouettes in complete darkness is so much better.

I have a laser on my pocket gun but I don't like it all that much. The problem is I have trained my eyes to lock on the front sight, not some little red dot on the target. Now with a pocket pistol I will never shoot that from more than 10 feet away so I think the major benefit is to scare someone away rather than depend on it. Just my 2 cents.
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head!

Yes, I like high quality ones. If the laser is not ball park price of your gun, that is telling. I have an internal guide rod unit in one of my Glocks. Quality unit.

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast