Best ankle holster for S&W 642
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best ankle holster for S&W 642

1. Best ankle holster for S&W 642

Just bought a 642 .38 today and I'm going to use it as my backup duty gun. What do you guys recommend as an ankle holster?

nope. Dont recommend revolvers, either. snubbies are not very powerful or controlable in rapidfire. 380 or 9mm lays a lot "flatter" in pants pocket holster. Front pants pocket draw, or just 'ready" is far handier than an ankle rig. Some think that you want the pocket gun in the weak side front pants pocket, in case your 'main" gun arm or hand are disabled. Pocket draw, especially if you start "hand i n pocket", is several times faster than the ankle draw. You really should learn to kick well for self defense and kicking doesn't go well with ankle rigs, not at all. If you have enoiugh time to make an ankly draw, you almost certainly also have time to just flee.

4. Best ankle holster for S&W 642

Quote Originally Posted by thru View Post
    nope. Dont recommend revolvers, either. snubbies are not very powerful or controlable in rapidfire. 380 or 9mm lays a lot "flatter" in pants pocket holster. Front pants pocket draw, or just 'ready" is far handier than an ankle rig. Some think that you want the pocket gun in the weak side front pants pocket, in case your 'main" gun arm or hand are disabled. Pocket draw, especially if you start "hand i n pocket", is several times faster than the ankle draw. You really should learn to kick well for self defense and kicking doesn't go well with ankle rigs, not at all. If you have enoiugh time to make an ankly draw, you almost certainly also have time to just flee.
    What ********** hole did you crawl out of to just all of the sudden join and in one days time make this many know-it-all posts? To have as much definitive knowledge on these subjects as you claim to have, when do we get to look forward to your videos and around the country seminars? Anybody else getting the troll vibe?

But just to humor your comment, if you read my post you would have seen that it is a backup duty gun! It's not my primary, it's my "oh ****, just give me something and I don't care what it is" gun. In the event that I need it, I'd probably settle for a NAA .22 by that time. And I've seen plenty of people who have gotten fairly proficient at drawing an ankle gun. Wasn't it you who said that I would be surprised at what humans could train themselves to do?

Now how about you save all your fine info for your books and seminars (can't be giving all our secrets away for free now can we?) and let some others chime in.

Quote Originally Posted by thru View Post
    Wow, that was as helpful to the OP as a turd sandwich... what part of "he just bought the 642 revolver" and wants recommendations on "which ankle holster" did you not get. Instead, you pi$$ on his choice of weapon and his choice of carry. Very helpful thru... very helpful.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Andey, I've been going down a similar road. I have a 637CT and have been considering ankle holsters too for basically the same reason you have mentioned.

I've heard nothing but great things about Galco's holster. Here's a link: ANKLE GLOVE (ANKLE HOLSTER): Holsters & Ammo Carriers: Ankle Holsters at Galco

The only reason why I have hesitated is I'm hemming and hawing on the $95 price tag with it.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."

7. Quote Originally Posted by wolf_fire View Post
    Andey, I've been going down a similar road. I have a 637CT and have been considering ankle holsters too for basically the same reason you have mentioned.

I've heard nothing but great things about Galco's holster. Here's a link: ANKLE GLOVE (ANKLE HOLSTER): Holsters & Ammo Carriers: Ankle Holsters at Galco

The only reason why I have hesitated is I'm hemming and hawing on the $95 price tag with it.
    Hahahahaha I was looking at that exact same thing last night and I was siting there thinking "this has to be a typo! That...$95?!" I mean I understand that you get what you pay for and all but damn! I will say that I've already ordered Remora's ankle rig for it figuring I'd give it a try as cheap as it was. But I've got a feeling as sticky as their material is, I'm going to have to shave the bottom part of my leg because that thing is going to pull hair like no other. And I would say if just buy taller socks but I have some kind of odd phobia with tall socks. Like when I wear boots, I wear socks that are only as tall as the boot and no more. Otherwise I wear ankle socks.

But I saw in another thread where you said you volunteer with your local law enforcement. Are you doing the reserves or are you a constable? I have a job lined up with the SO one county over but I've still got 2 more semesters until I graduate so I can't start or go to the academy until then so what my teacher suggested was that I join the reserves for my county's SO (actually he suggested I join the reserves for his agency but he understood when I explained that I have a part time job that barely gets me by as it is and driving 45 minutes both ways to a volunteer job just wasn't an economically sound decision). So that's what I'm doing now. The ***** of it is that my county's agency is a little smaller and they don't have enough .38's and tasers for the reserve officers. So if we wanted a backup gun we had to buy our own, which wasn't that big of a deal cause I had kinda been wanting to buy a .38 for a while anyhow since I've never owned a revolver.

I'm with my county's Reserve Division of the Sheriff's department. I have to say your reserves are taken care of well. All my equipment I had to purchase myself. The only thing that they supplied were radios and a yellow mesh traffic vest. Our uniform, duty belt, firearm, cuffs, flashlight, pepper spray, etc. we had to buy ourselves. When all was said and done, and ammo taken into consideration for the firearms training, I was about $3200 poorer. It's been great training (the training was free) and it's been quite an eye-opener as to what is expected from us on details and the state of readiness that is expected from us.

https://www.corneredcat.com/ankle-soxx/

I haven't used it, but I have heard this one described as the most comfortable ankle holster out there. It took me FOREVER to find it... because this is the only place I remembered seeing it: Ankle Soxxx - Lace Ankle Holster - GunGoddess.com I've had a very hard time not finding the Pretty version. Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure they're all made by a company called Femme Fatale. Femme Fatale Holsters Ankle SoxXx

Jokes about our dedicated, manly LEOs in lacy garters... begin!
    Modern Whig
    "Government is not meant to burden Liberty but rather to secure it." -T.J. O'Hara

10. Quote Originally Posted by telpinaro View Post
    https://www.corneredcat.com/ankle-soxx/

I haven't used it, but I have heard this one described as the most comfortable ankle holster out there. It took me FOREVER to find it... because this is the only place I remembered seeing it: Ankle Soxxx - Lace Ankle Holster - GunGoddess.com I've had a very hard time not finding the Pretty version. Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure they're all made by a company called Femme Fatale. Femme Fatale Holsters Ankle SoxXx

Jokes about our dedicated, manly LEOs in lacy garters... begin!
    Rookies get heckled bad enough, and rookie reserves even worse. Doubt I'd be helping my case by showing up with that lol.

I bought and uncle mike's today and I can't tell if I'm just not use to it or if it's uncomfortable. It's really not that bad it just keeps wanting to slip some.

Quote Originally Posted by AndeyHall View Post
    Rookies get heckled bad enough, and rookie reserves even worse. Doubt I'd be helping my case by showing up with that lol.

I bought and uncle mike's today and I can't tell if I'm just not use to it or if it's uncomfortable. It's really not that bad it just keeps wanting to slip some.
    Yeah... the one for guys doesn't look bad... just hope nobody EVER finds out where you got it!!
    Modern Whig
    "Government is not meant to burden Liberty but rather to secure it." -T.J. O'Hara

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast