Favorite Round for CC?
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite Round for CC?

Favorite Round for CC?

I have been an advocate for .22lr for cc for a long time. I am now wondering though if I should refocus to something in .40 cal. I have been doing a little bit of distance plinking with pistols lately, just broadening my horizons, and I find the .45 ACP just drops too fast at distance for full consideration. I can consistently hit a bowling pin at 50 yards, and I can nail an E-type at 100 with no issues, which is what is making me lean more toward .40 cal. I know .40 cal will fly flat for 100 and still have some knock down power. I am not sure about the knock down power of .22lr at 100. I know the .45ACP (230 grain0, drops about a foot at 100 yards and feels like I am doing a volley fire just to get it to reach 100.

What do you guys think is ballistically the best round for carrying concealed, while maintaining lethality from 0-100 yards?
    ""Chance favors the well prepared mind" - Louis Pastuer

-Blakester

you have been advocating a very poor choice!

Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    you have been advocating a very poor choice!
    How so? It is statistically speaking the most lethal round in existence.
    ""Chance favors the well prepared mind" - Louis Pastuer

-Blakester

Quote Originally Posted by Blakester View Post
    How so? It is statistically speaking the most lethal round in existence.
    name one law enforcement agency that uses a .22 as a duty weapon, name one military that uses a .22 as standard issue

I can't wait to hear the "imminent fear" argument to the jury when you're explaining a 100-yard shot with your cc weapon.

.22 in summer with one layer of clothes is deadly inside 21 ft. Accurate. No recoil. Simple to conceal. Perfect for defense so long as the bad guy doesn't want you dead. If he does, it isn't enough gun. Ten holes in his chest will kill him but maybe not before he kills you. Any common used self defense round (38, 357, 9mm, 40 or 45) is adequate for self defense but pistols aren't good out to 100 yds.

For my EDC I have a Glock 27 and I carry Winchester Supreme Elite Bonded PDX1 .40 S&W 180gr.

I tried them out and I liked the grouping at 25 yards. very decent round and it had a little bit of a kick. But, I believe that was because it's a subcompact pistol.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Blakester View Post
    ...What do you guys think is ballistically the best round for carrying concealed, while maintaining lethality from 0-100 yards?
    Concealed carry is for self-defense only, and asking for "lethality" and "knock-down" (both mythical slogans, of course, but they sure sound impressive) assessments for distances beyond the range at which it's likely to sound like an assault of some sort just doesn't make sense. (Yes, yes, I know that every situation is unique but the likelihood of shooting a gun in "self defense" of somebody beyond 20 or 30 yards, while theoretically conceivable, is unlikely).

Knock down power. There is a lot of debate about this topic. Unless you are carrying a 357 mag. or larger, most handguns do not have the energy. Some facts, you can shoot a deer, grizzle, man... in the heart destroying the heart, and it will live for around 10 seconds. And it can fight for that time. Most hunters know that deer can run 100 to 150 yards with a heart and lung shot before they go down. Yes, sometimes the game will drop immediately however most of the time it will run away. There are many accounts of police shooting someone on drugs multiply times and keep coming before they go down. Unless you hit the brain, spinal column or major bone don't count on dropping anything. Most hunters and military know you give time for something to bleed out.

A .22 long rifle ammo shot with a 20" barrel will penetrate 3/4" plywood at 300 yards. Which depending on shot placement could be deadly. I don't want to be shot by any caliber.

I prefer a larger caliber than .22 for CCW but I know of older people with arthritis and don't have the hand strength to carry a larger caliber. A .22 will not penetrate barriers as well as a larger calibers which depending on the situation could be a good thing or bad.

A large mag. handgun or rifle is the only way to get knock down power in the real world. And without shot placement you are wasting money.

If he is running away at 100 yards, I have already done my job. He is most likely going home to change his undies. LOL
    I am old and slow, BUT dead on with my aim!!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast