Recommended Hearing Protection? Electronic?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommended Hearing Protection? Electronic?

Recommended Hearing Protection? Electronic?

What do you use for hearing protecting at the range? I'm using a $20 paid of Silencio folding hearing protection. My friend is using the big red ones you see everywhere but doesn't like them. We are thinking of upgrading to some electronic hearing. Anyone have any experience with them? Good/Bad?

Memberships: NRA, GOA, USCCA
    Guns: Glock 26, Ruger LCP, Beretta 90-Two .40, Beretta PX4 Storm Subcompact 9MM, Beretta Tomcat, Bushmaster Patrolman M4

Quote Originally Posted by lukem View Post
    What do you use for hearing protecting at the range? I'm using a $20 paid of Silencio folding hearing protection. My friend is using the big red ones you see everywhere but doesn't like them. We are thinking of upgrading to some electronic hearing. Anyone have any experience with them? Good/Bad?

I use the "Peltor Tactical 6S". I have several pairs that I use when doing firearms training. If you want "stronger" hearing protection you can use a pair of ear plugs under the electronic ear protection. I've tried a few other brands and feel that this is the best model on the market for shooting and instruction purposes. If you search the net you can get a pair for around $60 delivered. Here in PRHI, s&h is usually a little higher, so locally they're running around $85.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

wolfhunter Guest
    I have two different pairs of electronic earmuff-type protectors, one pair of the passive red protectors you mentioned, and a zip baggie of foam earplugs. I prefer the electronic protectors (they each work similarly), but an August day at the range encourages the use of 'plugs rather than 'phones.

I love my electronic muffs, but I am itching to try these out. I saw them on Guns & Ammo TV I think. Sounds like the best of both worlds.

Sound Sensor Hearing Protection - Allen Sound Sensor Shooting Hearing Protection

-Matt

6. Quote Originally Posted by willyNY View Post
    I love my electronic muffs, but I am itching to try these out. I saw them on Guns & Ammo TV I think. Sounds like the best of both worlds.
    Any idea how they work? It says "don't need batteries", and it also claims to have a better noise reduction (26db) than the 6S over-the-ear protectors (19db) mentioned above. Cheaper too, which sounds too good to be true...

Regular foam earplugs work fine. I don't see the sense in spending all this money on fancy schmancy ear protection when these get the job done at a fraction of the price.
    Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Benjamin Franklin

I still wear the ear plugs provided by good ole Uncle Sam. I have extra small ear canals so I was issued these itty bitty tiny green things that are especially provided for tiny ear canals like mine. Thirty years later and in their original case they still work quite well. I wear muffs over my ears on top of that. What? Did someone say something? Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by gdcleanfun View Post
    I still wear the ear plugs provided by good ole Uncle Sam. I have extra small ear canals so I was issued these itty bitty tiny green things that are especially provided for tiny ear canals like mine. Thirty years later and in their original case they still work quite well. I wear muffs over my ears on top of that. What? Did someone say something? Huh?
    Good choice! And I'm willing that they didn't cost you a pile of money either, did they?
    Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by tattedupboy View Post
    Good choice! And I'm willing that they didn't cost you a pile of money either, did they?
    Nah, no money, just 4.5 years in the Reserves. Priceless!

Quote Originally Posted by gdcleanfun View Post
    Nah, no money, just 4.5 years in the Reserves. Priceless!
    Just as good!

Benjamin Franklin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast