1911 Guys - What's your favorite?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1911 Guys - What's your favorite?

1. 1911 Guys - What's your favorite?

At risk of starting a war of words about 1911's vs the "other pistols," here's a question for you who carry a 1911:

Your favorite for carry, including manufacturer, caliber, and barrel length.
    Why is it the favorite? Have you carried something different and if you did, what, and why did you change?

If you have a different favorite that you shoot but don't carry, what are the same details for that one?

I'll answer my own question later if necessary :)

USAF(Ret)

That's what I trained with and shot while in the Navy. I shot a Glock one time and it gets the job done, but it has no style.

4. My favorite is a Colt Combat Commander in .45. I also have one in 9mm and I'm about to add one in .38 Super. I carry a Para P.13. I just shoot it better than the Colt, so I carry it instead. I like Commander length guns better than the Government Model. The balance feels better.

I prefer full-size 1911s in .45ACP. They have (as a class) a far better track record for NOT malfunctioning compared to compact-sized 1911s. I often carry the Sig 1911 TACOPS or Nightmare Fastback full-size in .45 ACP.

Started out my 1911 "career" with a Colt Lightweight commander. Loved it. Probably should have shown it a little more respect being an aluminum gun but I shot everything with it: at least 1000 rounds a month in practice and matches, standard lead, +P hollowpoints. It started getting a little loose about the time some scumbag decided to steal it from my gym locker.

Upgraded to a stock Springfield and put the necessary mods on it: grip safety, ambi thumbs, feed & trigger job... This was back in the early 90s when everyone and their brother wasn't putting out "custom" 1911s from the factory. Still have it and shoot it.

Then I really upgraded to a Kimber Classic Custom. Didn't need anything but got the trigger worked on. When I carry it's my carry gun.

I like the looks of the 4.25" Commanders but the hard part to conceal is the butt not the barrel so why lose some accuracy with the shorter barrel?

Mike

7. Ok since there's so few responses I'll list my fav: Kimber Custom II. Accurate, dependable, great trigger, parts and ammo availability. But the main reason I carry it is because it's what I shoot best.
    Secondary to that is that I love 45ACP ballistics compared to others.
    I'd gladly carry any 1911 but do love Kimber.
    I had a Custom Tactical II that had an issue with the metal in the frame. Sent it in postage free for work and they actually replaced the frame, tuned everything, and gave me free stuff for my trouble. Best dang customer service I've seen.

Sent from my iPhone using USA Carry

8. I carry mine in a full leather holster with a matching belt from daltech force. I am so happy with the USA made items.

9. I carried a Glock as a duty gun for over 25 years. I still carry one now that I am retired....BUT....I still love the 1911. I have been building 1911s and competing with them in USPSA, IDPA, and Steel for years. One of my favorite things to do now is buy the most beat up, disreputable, and gnarly 1911s I can find and resurrect them into carry/match guns.

So...to answer your question. If it is a FACTORY 1911, I really like the Sig line of 1911s. When I do carry a 1911, it is a Sig Scorpion UL Carry (Alloy Frame/No Rail) which has been sadly discontinued. If I find another one for sale, I will jump on it like a fat girl on a donut. The only thing I did to the UL Carry was clean up the trigger because I am a HUGE trigger snob. It has been 100% reliable over 2000 rounds.

My second choice in Factory 1911s is Sprinfield Armory GI or WWII Models. If I find them cheap, I buy them and use them as a platform for a build. Then I usually wind up selling them at a match (Yeah, it's happened more than once).

The "deal of the day" though is the Rock Island Armory. I turned my snobby nose up at them for YEARS until a buddy bought one for $349 on sale at gun shop here in AZ. AJI Sports in Apache Junction. Jeff is a great guy, and his daughter Taylor is a gun girl and gives me great deals and has for years. Anyway, he bought it and I clowned him for buying a junk wagon 1911. We took it to the PD range and damned if it didn't flat out shoot. I mean, it shot, and shot, and shot, and shot. It had the crappy little tiny "can't see 'em sights" but still, it shot. I went back and bought one in 9mm and took it home, pulled out my 1911 parts and started a build. I shot a summer's worth of USPSA and Steel at Rio Salado, Payson, and Prescott with that 9mm. Then I bought an RIA 45 1911 that I called the Junkyard Dog for less than $300. It was beat to crap and I built that one into a match gun out of parts I already had in my work shop.

So...Sig is my favorite Bone Stock factory 1911. Springfield is my second. RIA has become a favorite just because they are such a great starting place for a match/carry gun. The PARA GI Experts (Pre Factory Beavertail) are also a favorite platform for a build.1911 Guys - What's your favorite?-jyd45-jyd9.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images 1911 Guys - What's your favorite?-11259815_893122650753100_8086986725655240437_n.jpg 1911 Guys - What's your favorite?-para-collage.jpg 
    You can't always be safe, but you can always be dangerous.

Springfield 5" Loaded model.

It is comfortable, it works and I can shoot it well.

The other handgun that I bounced back and forth between is the Browning Hi-Power. Again. it is comfortable, it works and I shoot it well.

11. Quote Originally Posted by Frisco85132 View Post
    I carried a Glock as a duty gun for over 25 years. I still carry one now that I am retired....BUT....I still love the 1911. I have been building 1911s and competing with them in USPSA, IDPA, and Steel for years. One of my favorite things to do now is buy the most beat up, disreputable, and gnarly 1911s I can find and resurrect them into carry/match guns.

So...to answer your question. If it is a FACTORY 1911, I really like the Sig line of 1911s. When I do carry a 1911, it is a Sig Scorpion UL Carry (Alloy Frame/No Rail) which has been sadly discontinued. If I find another one for sale, I will jump on it like a fat girl on a donut. The only thing I did to the UL Carry was clean up the trigger because I am a HUGE trigger snob. It has been 100% reliable over 2000 rounds.

My second choice in Factory 1911s is Sprinfield Armory GI or WWII Models. If I find them cheap, I buy them and use them as a platform for a build. Then I usually wind up selling them at a match (Yeah, it's happened more than once).

The "deal of the day" though is the Rock Island Armory. I turned my snobby nose up at them for YEARS until a buddy bought one for $349 on sale at gun shop here in AZ. AJI Sports in Apache Junction. Jeff is a great guy, and his daughter Taylor is a gun girl and gives me great deals and has for years. Anyway, he bought it and I clowned him for buying a junk wagon 1911. We took it to the PD range and damned if it didn't flat out shoot. I mean, it shot, and shot, and shot, and shot. It had the crappy little tiny "can't see 'em sights" but still, it shot. I went back and bought one in 9mm and took it home, pulled out my 1911 parts and started a build. I shot a summer's worth of USPSA and Steel at Rio Salado, Payson, and Prescott with that 9mm. Then I bought an RIA 45 1911 that I called the Junkyard Dog for less than $300. It was beat to crap and I built that one into a match gun out of parts I already had in my work shop.

So...Sig is my favorite Bone Stock factory 1911. Springfield is my second. RIA has become a favorite just because they are such a great starting place for a match/carry gun. The PARA GI Experts (Pre Factory Beavertail) are also a favorite platform for a build.1911 Guys - What's your favorite?-jyd45-jyd9.jpg
    Hey, isn't that the dude that was doing a buck 10 on the interstate the other day? You got some truly interesting rigs there. I need to think about a project 1911 soon.

1911's are still my favorite guns and I own both hammer and strikers in semi auto. I trained with the 1911 in service and they were reliable shooters, solid as a rock, and easy to maintain guns. Without getting into a caliber side discussion, I like shooting the .45.

My current EDC is a Sig P938 and it is very accurate, compact, and rugged. It had ammo growing pains the first couple of hundred rounds and Sig was nails in resolving the issue.

It's my least favorite gun to clean but I'm pretty quick at it now so am over the initial PIA factor. It's my most accurate shooter and I actually was going to change the trigger but no need after so many rounds through it as I thinks it's crisp and has a great break for me.

The 9mm is a very good round, the gun only runs Hornady now, and having a condition 1 in my holster is very reassuring after training that way for so many years. I can't imagine not having at least one 1911 in my possession.

The Place To Be

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast