Advice on Best Concealed Carry Handgun - Page 5
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice on Best Concealed Carry Handgun

Lot of people carry the 642 in a coat pocket. If I were to do that there would be no loose change or anything else in there but the gun and yes it could be shot from inside the coat pocket. That would not be my first choice but if push comes to shove it will work. That might especially work well if you were using the Hornady personal defense ammo.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Hey wjh2657: You and others on various posts talk about the 642 as your pocket carry. I have a 642 and maybe it is because I do not like any bulkiness or weight around my waist or in my pockets or anywhere on my pants, I have difficulty appreciating how you can walk around with that firearm in your pocket; I can understand OWB or belt. Don't you find it, as a pocket carry, a little cumbersome? I have a kel tec 380 that is as small as can be and as light as can be and is about the only thing other than a wallet and a tissue that goes in my pocket(s). Interested in your comment(s).
    No I don't find it cumbersome. However, I must qualify my answer with the fact that I have always carried a lot in my pockets. In short, I am already used to some weight there. I was also very aware of the gun until after I carried it for a while. I also have always purchased trousers and jeans that are a bit more generous in the material, not being young enough to want to impress the ladies with the bulges in my pants, so that the pockets are deep and sturdy. I don't pocket carry when I wear dress slacks with a sportcoat, belt carry comes in there. However, chinos, cords and jeans usually involve pocket carry.

I carried a BERSA CC for two years but don't really notice any advantage over the 642. Sorry, but the Keltec and Ruger LCP just don't ring my chimes, but strictly because of my own preferences. Both are proven pocket pistols.

Hey wjh2657, Jay and recent posters to my question: Appreciate your answers. Coat pockets I understand. Guys who have pants pockets that allow the movement of furniture I understand. I guess we all agree that tight jeans are just not the proper apparel for a 642 in your pocket. Again, I guess my question was actually asking the obvious and I believe Jay put the final curtain on this issue with a very good reply covering most everything about choices we all have to make on firearms. I have a clip on holster for the 642 and have tried but the firearm now sits all the time behind my bed for "household use".

I posted this elsewhere, but it does pertain here too. When I started carrying the 642 in a pocket holster I had my seamstress sew in an extra deep reinforced pocket for the right front pocket. It places pistol lower on leg and makes cylinder blend in with leg curve. It also serves to hide grip better (deeper in pocket.) I quit wearing tight jeans when I turned 40 (26 years ago) so I don't have that problem. If I am wearing something not so modified (new pants) I usually slip a 637 in (it is a bit smaller.) I also usually wear Perry Suspenders to help support the extra weight and to also hide the fact that I am losing my ***** and gaining more belly!

Hey wjh2657: You've got to be a big guy who has always carried a lot of jingle in dem der pockets. Let's hope it is always just "jingling" in your pocket. Have a safe year and a pleasure to post with you.

A lot depends on the weather. Here in Texas for most of the year I can't wear a jacket or vest - not only would it be too hot but it looks out of place. So I carry a Taurus titanium revolver in 38+P in a Galco front pocket holster. I can carry this even in shorts. It's my every day gun. If the weather affords it then I'll carry my auto on a belt holster. But then my 38 still rides in my pocket as backup.

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Hey wjh2657: You've got to be a big guy who has always carried a lot of jingle in dem der pockets. Let's hope it is always just "jingling" in your pocket. Have a safe year and a pleasure to post with you.
    Actually I am a little guy (5'5") but I have always carried a pocket knife and other working paraphernalia in my pockets (grew up on a farm). I keep M&Ms and Lifesavers in left pocket for grandkids.

9. I agree it must be of a size that lets you carry every time you are out. My .380 Keltec with CT sights is always with me. I like using the added belt clip and carry in my front pocket and is very easy to get hold of. If cover garment allows I move up to XD Sub in 40, Bulldog 44 or LCR. Anything is better than nothing. Even my 22 mag NAA in the bad wallet holster is better than nothing. Let a bad guy ask for my wallet and find out.

What would be a recommendation for a good small handgun for my personal protection? Also thoughts on learning to use it and feel comfortable with it? Its been many years since I fired any kind of weapon. I am assuming also I need a permit..how do I go about getting that? Will feel safer these days with a small handgun!

Hey skysthelimit: It's a little question you ask with a very big answer. Defensive firearms range from a very little 22 magnum pocket gun to a 32 pocket gun, to 380 pocket gun, to a 38 spl(small & large), to a 9mm (small & large) to the big boys at 40cal and 45 cal and even 45cal/410shotgun combo gun. Assuming you are talking concealed carry, pocket carry, outside/inside waistband, belt, shoulder, etc--all methods of carry. Do not know if you have a GOOD gunshop in your area but it is the best bet to see, hear advice and try all kinds of combos of guns and holsters. Possible gun enthusiasts in your area could provide info.Decisions are many and you want to make the best first decision so due diligence on your part is necessary. Hands on discussions at a gun shop or a gun club are best ways to establish the intimate knowledge that you just cannot get from a magazine, book or even this forum--everyone is different with different preferences and differing abilities to handle specific calibers and sizes of guns. Once gotten, practice, practice, practice and read this forum for tips on scenarios and the laws in your state. Don't rush it if you want to perfectly satisfied with your choices.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast