In Illinois need a ccw - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: In Illinois need a ccw

I'm not saying you're wrong, I've already admitted that I was. To that end, I too would recommend the same. My point now is that I find the wording to be unclear in that "to a place of repair", in my opinion, does not necessarily mean to be repaired. The way I interpret it, someone could drive back and forth from their home to a gunsmith even if their gun doesn't need any work. I know it's a stretch, and why would anyone want to do that anyway. But if there were a gunsmith with a range on his premisis...

Again, I'm not saying he doesn't need a LTC, and since IN has the "Qualified License" for target and hunting, it is obvious that he does. Just pointing out that 1) there is ambiguity in the wording, and 2) to require a LTC just to go to the range is asinine, and ought to be changed.
    The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by utimmer43 View Post
    I'm not saying you're wrong, I've already admitted that I was. To that end, I too would recommend the same. My point now is that I find the wording to be unclear in that "to a place of repair", in my opinion, does not necessarily mean to be repaired. The way I interpret it, someone could drive back and forth from their home to a gunsmith even if their gun doesn't need any work. I know it's a stretch, and why would anyone want to do that anyway. But if there were a gunsmith with a range on his premisis...
    One of the things that good CCW instructors do is think like an attorney; particularly a DA, prosecutor or plaintiff's counsel in the case of civil suits. Intent factors heavily into law. Did the defendant intend to have their firearm repaired? If not, they were not taking it to a place of repair as repairs were not needed. That's a very simple argument to win in court. I don't have a law degree and I could win that one. Also keep in mind that an IN range advised the OP that he needs some sort of carry license or permit to bring his handguns. Given that information I think you'd be treading on very thin ice with your argument.
    Again, I'm not saying he doesn't need a LTC, and since IN has the "Qualified License" for target and hunting, it is obvious that he does. Just pointing out that 1) there is ambiguity in the wording, and 2) to require a LTC just to go to the range is asinine, and ought to be changed.
    The question is do you want to be the test case? $26 to Centre County PA is cheap insurance that you won't be if you don't live in IN. I don't see it as ambiguous. It's pretty clear to me what you can without some sort of license or permit to carry with respect to handguns. I don't argue how asinine it is but it hasn't been a priority of the IN legislature to address. The current Indiana Code is what it is.
    Know the law; don't ask, don't tell.
    NRA & UT Certified Instructor; CT, FL, NH, NV, OR, PA & UT CCW Holder
    Happy new 1984; 25 years behind schedule. Send lawyers, guns and money...the SHTF...

4. utimmer43 no bashing going on here i thought it was preety messed up also but i didnt make the law .

thanks to all the other posts i found out i can send in a application to PA and get a ccw through that state .

thanks to all replies very helpfull !

Quote Originally Posted by netentity View Post
    Also keep in mind that an IN range advised the OP that he needs some sort of carry license or permit to bring his handguns. Given that information I think you'd be treading on very thin ice with your argument.

The question is do you want to be the test case? $26 to Centre County PA is cheap insurance that you won't be if you don't live in IN....... The current Indiana Code is what it is.
    No I don't want to be the test case, and please realize that do I recomend anyone else try it either. My first post in the thread was what I thought was allowed, but I was wrong and have acknowledged so. Now I'm just pointing out little quirks in the wording and raising hypotheticals. It's what I do. But it is not a recommendation to try acting on those hypotheticals.

I agree, get the PA LTCF if you (OP) wish to go to IN with a handgun. And you're right, the IC is what it is. My opinion is that it's dumb, much like a whole host of other State and Federal laws that I think are dumb. But I still obey them and recommend everyone else do so as well.
    The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - Thomas Jefferson

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12