Office Carry
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Office Carry

1. Office Carry

I tried a few searches but could not find anything on this...but it very well may be out there so feel free to help me find any existing threads on this.

I work in a typical office environment...suits, offices, cubicles, conference rooms, etc. I'm a fairly new CCW holder and trying to figure out how best to carry in the office. I have a great setup in my carry bag to get to and from work with my S&W 642. Once I'm in the office...and I do have an office...the bag is down by the side of my chair. I do have to attend meetings and get about the floor during the day. I have the option to lock up my bag but that just isn't a good solution for me. For one thing my weapon does me no good if I don't have it with me. Most of the time while at work my suit jacket is off so I just have suit pants, shirt, tie, etc. The way I figure my pretty much ONLY option for carry is an ankle rig. Pocket carry would seem just too difficult to conceal...even with a 642. Anything I'm missing here? And any particular ankle holsters come to mind as being best fit for my situation? Any other thoughts or advice. Thx.

3. CrossBreed Super Tuck Holster and a tucked in dark button up shirt. Works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by stresco View Post
    CrossBreed Super Tuck Holster and a tucked in dark button up shirt. Works for me.
    Works like a charm. I have a 642 I carry in a super tuck, and I could not be happier.

For ankle I have a Galco ankle rig, the one without the calf strap. It is very comfortable and very concealable.

Quote Originally Posted by piste View Post
    Most of the time while at work my suit jacket is off so I just have suit pants, shirt, tie, etc. The way I figure my pretty much ONLY option for carry is an ankle rig. Pocket carry would seem just too difficult to conceal...even with a 642. Anything I'm missing here?
    Give some serious consideration to "tuckable" inside-the-waistband (IWB) holster, such as the Workman by Mitch Rosen.

With this sort of setup the holster lives between your body and the inside of your pants. Different types of IWBs have different "attachment" mechanisms. The Workman has a leather loop that wraps around your belt to secure it in place. A reinforced strap then drops down along-side the holster, and fastens to the bottom of the holster, allowing a shirt to be tucked in between the holster and the pants/strap. A little blousing of the shirt conceals the bulge and the top of the "loop".

Other IWBs may accomplish the same functionality in a different manner.

In this setup, as long as your shirt is sufficiently thick or dark, you can effectively conceal even a full-frame sidearm.

- JoeLevi.com, Sitting Duck Policy | Are you a Sitting Duck?

Pleated dress pants works very well with a pocket holster and a "J" frame revolver.
    It may feel heavy for you at first, but you get used to it.
    Don't forget to have a Bianchi speed strip in one of your other pockets.
    You can leave your keys in that floor bag.
    Get a good belt(Kramer handgun leather) too.
    I carry a "J" frame revolver from time to time when in a suit. If I know, I will be taking my Sport Coat off.
    Left front Pocket =Revolver
    Right front pocket=folding knife.
    Left rear pocket=wallet with concealed weapons permit,and I.D.
    Right rear pocket= Bianchi speed strip with extra ammo.
    But most of the time,I don't take my Jacket off,and carry a 1911 in a IWB holster and rig.

7. Lightbulb Pocket carry, and here's why:

Another vote for pocket carry. Just be sure the holster you pick keeps your gun in your pocket when you are sitting!

Ankle holsters, deep concealment, etc. do not allow for as quick a draw in situations where you might need access, like walking to your car after work at night in a nearly empty parking garage, etc.

Once I was almost accosted by 2 men (both bigger than me) as I was walking alone in downtown San Diego in the middle of the day. As one man tried to distract me by querying me about my watch (which I thought was odd) I noticed in my periphery that another man suddenly started running directly towards us from across the street. Now, being in CA I did not carry a firearm because I was not legally allowed to do so. However, I did have a can of pepper spray in my front pants pocket. I quickly thrust my hand into my pocket, spun around to face both men, on the balls of my feet, in total fight or flight mode. I saw both men's eyes look down, straight to where my hand was - in my pocket, ready to pull out something. Neither man waited around to see what exactly I had. The running man immediately changed course and ran around the block; the first guy waved goodbye, turned around and quickly left also.

It was at that moment that I realized, had I actually been carrying a gun in a deep concealment rig or ankle holster, I may have been screwed. I did not have time to do anything other than quickly reach into my pocket and turn around. I MAY have been able to quickly kneel down, pull up my pants leg, and grab a gun, or I may have been tackled by those ********** and risked having a gun taken from me. Whatever you choose as your carry option, practice with it and make sure you can access it QUICKLY.

If your pockets aren't big enough, you can always make them bigger. Are you handy with a sewing machine? If not, I'll bet there's at least a dozen drycleaners in your area that can help you.

If you do decide on pocket carry, DEDICATE that pocket to your weapon and nothing else. No keys, change, etc, that can get in the way of an efficient draw.

Stay safe~
    P.

I have to add my vote for the Crossbreed Super Tuck Deluxe. I carry a full size Glock G-21 in a Super Tuck. It conceals very well and is super comfortable.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan

I ride public transportation into my job and work in a high rise. I'm certain that both the train AND the building where I work have a sign that states no concealed weapons. Actually, the train has a sign that says no weapons, smoking, food, loud music, et al... and the building has a sign that says "no concealed weapons" I am very concerned about traveling home late one night and being accosted by a vagrant on the train or en route to my vehicle. Local LEO's apprehended a gang member 3 weeks ago off the train who assaulted a fellow passenger. I was 6 feet away from him and felt in danger for my life. This was all before my permit arrived in the mail this week.

So how can I effectively carry concealed daily with the commute on public transportation and in a high rise where signs prohibit weapons?? Do any forum members carry concealed wherever they please, regardless of validity of the signs??

I'm aware that in my State the laws regarding "no concealed carry" signs have to be very explicit but I'm crossing state lines to work and dont want to loose my job due to a concealed weapon situation...

10. Smartcarry or Thunderwear might also be an option.
    You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.
    Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by fullofdays View Post
    I ride public transportation into my job and work in a high rise. I'm certain that both the train AND the building where I work have a sign that states no concealed weapons. Actually, the train has a sign that says no weapons, smoking, food, loud music, et al... and the building has a sign that says "no concealed weapons" I am very concerned about traveling home late one night and being accosted by a vagrant on the train or en route to my vehicle. Local LEO's apprehended a gang member 3 weeks ago off the train who assaulted a fellow passenger. I was 6 feet away from him and felt in danger for my life. This was all before my permit arrived in the mail this week.

So how can I effectively carry concealed daily with the commute on public transportation and in a high rise where signs prohibit weapons?? Do any forum members carry concealed wherever they please, regardless of validity of the signs??

I'm aware that in my State the laws regarding "no concealed carry" signs have to be very explicit but I'm crossing state lines to work and dont want to loose my job due to a concealed weapon situation...
    I generally always thumb my nose at those stupid signs... Unless they have metal detectors at the doors, I'm carrying... they can p*ss off! I recently carried at the Memphs Zoo..IWB...... Anyway, if you are working in an office environment as I do, deep concealment is a must. Others have recommended IWB holsters, Thunderwear, Smartcarry, pocket holsters, etc... These are great if you can effectively conceal your weapon. I use an ankle rig with a Glock 27. Not the most popular holster rig among the CCW community, but highly effective when deep concealment is needed. It works great under slacks or dress pants. Not so much under jeans. You can see my rig in my profile photo album. Ultimately the decision is yours whichever rig you decide on. Whatever works best for you.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast