How would one take a gun when travelling by plane? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How would one take a gun when travelling by plane?

GlockFan,

That IS what I said...the tag should be OUTSIDE the locked GUN CASE not the luggage.....

Of course its inside the luggage but not the Gun Case.....that is locked....

Sorry about the confusion OP...

Symtron

....sorry for My confusion too. The "declaration tag" has a string on it which They placed on my weapon in which I closed the case with the Tag hanging out (my type of case did not have a place to loop the tag through which is why the string was on the inside with the Tag hanging out) and then I proceeded to lock the case. This locked weapons case stayed inside my luggage bag. I asked if I needed to lock my luggage bag and was told "no". There are others on here who have had the experience traveling 100's of times. Me, only once. And yes, as it was mentioned on here...make copies of the rules and regulations when you look up the airline/s you're going with (I did anyway), do not hesitate to call them either if you're not sure of something. Forums are helpful, but sometimes it is hard to express what you want to say over a keyboard.
    (All the above are MY opinions/suggestions ONLY....AND, I like to bust ball's, it's called having a sense of humor. In other words, no intent to offend anyone, so get over it)

Quote Originally Posted by symtron View Post
    GlockFan,

That IS what I said...the tag should be OUTSIDE the locked GUN CASE not the luggage.....

Of course its inside the luggage but not the Gun Case.....that is locked....

Sorry about the confusion OP...

Symtron
    The declaration form goes IN the gun case regardless of if the firearm is in a locked case inside another bag, or in a specific piece of luggage designed to transport firearms (like a Pelican case). I've traveled through numerous airports and the placement of the firearms declaration has been pretty much the same.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

Taking Your Pistole Along

Having traveled a number of times, here's how I go at it:

1.Review http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1666.shtm[/URL] to understand TSA policies and procedures. Have a copy with you when you reach the airport.

2.Put the unloaded weapon(s) in a lockable hard-sided case with locks only you have the keys/combination to open. TSA locks are not allowed.

3.Steps that will make it easier to show that the weapon is unloaded - especially when x-rayed.
    *If the weapon is a:
    =semi-automatic
    ++lock the slide open
    ++put a cable tie through the barrel and out the breach to show that the chamber is empty
    =revolver, flip the cylinder out
    *Do not put the magazines in this locked case with the gun(s):
    =it invites questions about them being loaded
    =if the gun case is "liberated" from the checked bag by a Criminal Entrepreneur, the lack of magazines frustrates the "Liberator", since the weapon is now initially a single shot one

4.Check the airline(s) you are flying on:
    *To determine if the ammo
    =MUST be in boxes (plastic reload boxes work)
    =can fly in loaded magazines
    *If loaded magazines are permitted, make sure the pouches fully cover the magazines
    *The round(s) from the chamber(s)/cylinder(s) must be in a box, not loose

5.Secure and protect magazines (separately from the weapon) and ammunition boxes from possible damage.

6.Put the lockable hard-sided case with the weapon and the ammo/magazines into a cheap, non-descript bag - with clear labeling outside and inside - for checking in.
    *If possible, develop a way to attach - in a lockable way - the hard-sided case to the piece of luggage it has been placed into.
    *The labeling should be limited to:
    =Your Name
    =Your Cell Phone - if you have one, or your home phone if you do not
    =Your personal email address - if you have one
    =NO ADDRESSES, JOB TITLES, ORGANIZATIONS SHOULD BE INDICATED

7.Other stuff - like shampoo, mouthwash, toothpaste, etc, could be in this checked bag also.

8.Have the rules for the airline in hand when you check this non-descript bag at the airport.

9.Make sure you have the keys/combinations to the lockable hard-sided case with you and you alone (Per Federal Regulations 49CFR 1540.111 Carriage of weapons, explosives, and incendiaries by individuals - Electronic Code of Federal Regulations:) at all times. You will have to open the lockable hard-side case:
    *to demonstrate to the airline that the weapon(s) are not loaded at check in (a signed form/tag indicating that will go in with the weapon(s))
    *if the TSA wants to see

10.Have the serial number(s) and descriptions of your weapons on you, so if they "disappear" you can report the loss/theft immediately to the:
    *airline
    *FAA Regional Office
    *ATF Regional Office

Other things to consider:

1.Check www.handgunlaw.us and/or Pack-N-Go Carry Concealed Trip Planner to determine:
    *If you can possess the weapon at all your stops
    *Where and how you can carry at all your stops
    *What are the deadly force rules in each state you are visiting
    2.Have a copy of the Don Young Transportation Letter on hand - http://www.anjrpc.org/DefendingYourR...s%20letter.pdf. This covers changing modes of travel - car to plane to car - in a single journey.
    Orlando, FL

6. After much trepidation, I am happy to report I had no problems yesterday transporting my pistol on Delta from Detroit to Tampa.

I bought a small metal hinged case with a key lock and cable. Ran one end of the cable through a heavy web strap I found under my suitcase's zip out lining while the other end is secured inside the metal pistol case. Placed my PPS with slide locked back inside the metal case along with 2 empty magazines. I reported the pistol to the Delta counter person, opened the suitcase and metal case when told to. She looked down at the pistol without bending over and said "OK, secure the metal box." I checked off the firearm shipping requirements on a red card she gave me and signed it. She placed the card in my suitcase next to the closed and locked metal box. I used a TSA-approved combination lock to secure the suitcase and the suitcase was placed on the conveyor which carried it out of sight.

To my relief, the metal box and pistol was still in my suitcase when I discretly peered into them in a corner of the luggage area before leaving the Tampa airport. If something had been amiss, I intended to file a claim then and there.

This was the first time I had flown with a firearm since 2000. This experience went as smoothly as back them. Whew!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike (Michigan) View Post
    After much trepidation, I am happy to report I had no problems yesterday transporting my pistol on Delta from Detroit to Tampa.
    ~
    This experience went as smoothly as back them. Whew!
    Mike From Michigan, Welcome, I, too, just got back from a little airplane ride, But I left my sidearm home. I have a simular TSA approved case, But Hawaii and Michigan don't get along well. I am glad your trip went well... I felt very lacking for the first few days while in Honolulu. Maybe it was for the better anyway, Lots of really fine sand there.

Semper Fi

I have travelled with my ar and the rules rforgy stated apply and as long as u r open about it there is no problem. I do agree with glock fan tho unless u have a big gun case don't declare that u have a pistol in yur checked baggage by a bright orange tag, jus don make sense to me

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12