CC Permit and Drug Possession "Conviction" - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CC Permit and Drug Possession "Conviction"

Not sure about the state of TN, but I do know that the state of UT welcomes potential applicants to call and speak with an investigator before submitting your application if you have any doubts that you will qualify for your CFP. Simply explain the situation to the investigator and they'll tell you your odds.

Good luck!

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

I too made some horrible choices in my youth, and I'm still a youth! I worry about the day I go through my law enforcement training and they pull my juvenile background. I have vandalism, simple assault, simple battery, and criminal trespass. I'm no longer an idiot and no longer hot-headed and I dread the day that it comes back and bites me in my ass! I do plan on speaking to a few of the "big guys" at the local LEO agencies before attending academy though, just to get a good feeler and introduction and maybe a good word or two before beginning...
    Gun control: Forcing a 95lb woman to fist fight a 300lb rapist

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan H View Post
    I too made some horrible choices in my youth, and I'm still a youth! I worry about the day I go through my law enforcement training and they pull my juvenile background. I have vandalism, simple assault, simple battery, and criminal trespass. I'm no longer an idiot and no longer hot-headed and I dread the day that it comes back and bites me in my ass! I do plan on speaking to a few of the "big guys" at the local LEO agencies before attending academy though, just to get a good feeler and introduction and maybe a good word or two before beginning...
    Were you a juvenile when you committed these offenses? How long has it been since said offenses were committed? If you were a juvenile and several years have passed, you shouldn't run into any problem. Just be honest about your past transgressions. Once you admit to these, the interviewer will question "interrogate" you about them. Again, just be open and honest about it... you were a dumb kid And, if you have used any illegal street drug other than marijuana, deny it!!! Good Luck!

I was 14 or 15, I can't remember. I'm 23 now. I didn't plan on telling them about the marijuana either, but I'm guessing you did? lol

I think a good majority of teens have tried it/will try it someday. I will say that I never proactively bought any, it was always just peer pressured onto me.
    Gun control: Forcing a 95lb woman to fist fight a 300lb rapist

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan H View Post
    I was 14 or 15, I can't remember. I'm 23 now. I didn't plan on telling them about the marijuana either, but I'm guessing you did? lol

I think a good majority of teens have tried it/will try it someday. I will say that I never proactively bought any, it was always just peer pressured onto me.
    lol... Yeah I told them I had tried it when I was a much younger If I were you, I would leave it out. I don't think enough time has passed for you to mention it. I hadn't tried it in over 20 years when I went through the process. And they hired me! The main thing hiring agencies are looking for is credibility. If you leave something out or lie, and they find out later, it will usually get your app tossed. From the time you fill out the application, there are a myriad of other screenings that will take place. They are, and not necessarily in this order; oral interview, polygraph, psychological evaluation, complete physical (performed by your doctor), and a complete background investiigation usually performed by internal affairs or a separate division. If there is something that could be potentially damning in your background, like cocaine use, meth or other dangerous narcotic that you may have tried, you better deny it. And stick to it!! By the way, don't be nervous about the polygraph, the polygraph can be fooled!

FWIW, if you can show some sort of personal achievement(s) which shows you have moved on from such "lifestyle issues", it might help. That is what I did, when the SHTF during my application for security clearances. This wasn't for LE but for a major intelligence organization. I answered truthfully every question that was asked and subsequently, was denied the clearances. At that point, I was not willing to go quietly away and I insisted on personal interviews with security personnel at this organization, had personal letters of reference submitted by reputable persons (former employers, academic instructors, etc.), and noted my achievements (worked my way thru an undergrad program, and obtained a couple advanced degrees). Ultimately, as I noted previously, I prevailed and was granted the clearances.

OK, I had more years between my "lifestyle issues" and my application for clearances than you have to work with but if you can show you have "evolved" away from such activity, it can't hurt.

At any rate, this info is just for background as I'm not familiar with LEO application. Glockster20 is, so I'd give more credence to his advice than mine. Good Luck.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12