New to the CC world, need some opinions - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New to the CC world, need some opinions

1. Sam,
    Consider a Glock. They have them at Target World. I have a 9mm (Glock 19) but you may like others as well. Dont' pick what others tell you to pick though, just consider them and try them out before you buy. If you are in Cincinnati, go to the gun store in Newtown. If you get there early on Saturday no one is there and you'll get lots of attention.

I use a IWB holster and tuck my t-shirt. You'd never know it!

This is one of those questions that is asked a lot of times here and other places. If this thread lasts long enough you may get 30. 40, 50 different opinions. First suggestion don't let price be the number one criteria. Second go to a gun show or dealer and handle as many variety's as you can. Then if possible find a range that rents different guns and shoot several. I think what you should look for first is reliability. Next make sure it is not to big. What you think is doable for a concealed carry gun, after wearing it all day your mind might change.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Quote Originally Posted by 2beararms View Post
    Probably the only choice that is even more personal than boxers or briefs. Like everyone says, you need to handle them all (gun shows are great for this), narrow down a short list of what feels good in the hand and go shoot those, and the process will narrow down and you will pick your first carry gun, after which you will buy more guns and the process still continues.
    Then you get a bad case of GAS (Gun Acquisition Syndrome) and you’ll need new boxers or briefs.

Shoppin for 'em can be as much fun as shootin 'em...

Try all kinds and have fun doing so. When you hold the right one then shoot it you'll know...
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

5. wow thanks guys (and gals, dont want to offend anyone). i will keep in mind everything you have said. i really didnt expect to get this much input. its really going to help in the end. I still have 5 months until i turn 21 so i have plenty of time to look around and see what works.
    will i have any trouble with people at gun shows or ranges letting me hold or shoot the guns if im not 21? I just dont know how this whole scenario works yet.

Sam

Quote Originally Posted by sr975j View Post
    wow thanks guys (and gals, dont want to offend anyone). i will keep in mind everything you have said. i really didnt expect to get this much input. its really going to help in the end. I still have 5 months until i turn 21 so i have plenty of time to look around and see what works.
    will i have any trouble with people at gun shows or ranges letting me hold or shoot the guns if im not 21? I just dont know how this whole scenario works yet.

Sam
    Nah... you shouldn't get any flack about wanting to check out various models... Most salesmen are going to help out a potential customer.. even if that customer won't be a paying customer for a few more months

7. Spend time at a local range that lets you fire a variety of handguns, but also, spend a little time figuring out what you need. I favored concealability, so that eliminated the full sized frames. I limited my search to handguns within in a 5"x7" envelope. I wanted a single stack magazine, again for concealability, and I wanted a reasonable caliber which for me was the same 40 s/w. Finally, I wanted a gun that I could handle. Buy a box of hollow points when you go test out the guns. There can be a big difference in felt recoil. In the final analysis I went with a Sig P239 chambered in 40 s/w. It's easy to conceal (I use a Mitch Rosen USDII holster) and deadly accurate. It's a bit more expensive than you wanted, so it might not be a choice, but the logic is what you should use. Don't be in a rush to buy. Be in a rush to try.

The local dealer that I go to all the time, First Defense Firearms (www.firstdefensefirearms.com) went out of his way to answer my questions and allow me to hold all different types. I told him I was just looking for now, but that didn't change the way he dealt with me. I bought 2 from him so far and he knows I'll be back for more + supplies and such. If they have issues with that then take your business some place else. Same as the firearm choice, Choose the dealer that makes you feel comfortable.
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

9. well i ran into my first issue involving me not being 21 quite yet. i went to bass pro today because its the closest gun shop to my house. I was asking about the sig 226, he started taking it out of the case then asked for my i.d....so i gave it to him, he told me i couldnt even touch it until i was 21. Theres a real ball buster. it looks like im waiting 5 more months until i can even come close to making a decision.

Sam

I am smaller and older than you, but I carry a Glock 27 .40 with a Pearce magazine extension for a better grip. I bet if you picked up a Glock 36 .45 with mag extension, you'll fall in love with it. Single stack 6 round mag, but thin enough for comfortable concealed carry. I also carry an M&P .45 OWB when I wear a sweatshirt or light jacket.

Glock 22, Miami Classic Shoulder holster or Galco FLETCH holster. Always invest in good gunleather.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast