Best CCW 45 ACP? - Page 10
Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Best CCW 45 ACP?

Glock 36 inside waistband or lcp in walet holster. Because of low capacity i keep spare mag in left pocket or belt clip for quick reloads.

45APC Concealed Carry

I have both the P45 and the XD45. The P45 is much smaller and lighter, and shoots well. It does however have a mild dislike for hollow point ammunition and can occasionally jam when using same. The XD although larger in overall format will handle any ammunition you feed it and rarely, if ever jams. For personal defense; reliability is always the most critical aspect of any gun you choose. Test your gun and ammunition on the range to ensure you have a combination that works 99.999% of the time.

JSDinTexas Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard A Nanni View Post
    ... rarely, if ever jams. For personal defense; reliability is always the most critical aspect of any gun you choose. Test your gun and ammunition on the range to ensure you have a combination that works 99.999% of the time.
    Or just buy a Glock - sorry, the devil made me say this.

5. I have a Tanfoglio Witness .45 ACP, which is similar in heft and size to a 1911. Even with a shorter barrel, the thickness, weight and solidity of it are so much greater than my little Kel-Tecs and Rugers that I can scarcely imagine carrying it concealed. Certainly I'd have to completely reinvent the way I dress.

Why not get a nice .357 revolver? There are many to choose from and they're so easy to conceal.

Quote Originally Posted by Runcible View Post
    I have a Tanfoglio Witness .45 ACP, which is similar in heft and size to a 1911. Even with a shorter barrel, the thickness, weight and solidity of it are so much greater than my little Kel-Tecs and Rugers that I can scarcely imagine carrying it concealed. Certainly I'd have to completely reinvent the way I dress.

Why not get a nice .357 revolver? There are many to choose from and they're so easy to conceal.
    I carry a SW 66 and love it, but because of its heft and the wheel I'd never call it easy
    Glock Armorer, Remington 870 Armorer
    UTAH: 1 Florida:1 NH:1 Nevada:0 California:1 PA:1

7. Quote Originally Posted by gschoelles View Post
    I carry a SW 66 and love it, but because of its heft and the wheel I'd never call it easy
    I suppose there's a difference between being easy to carry and easy to conceal. The small grip on my two snubby revolvers makes them much easier for me to conceal IWB than anything but my two Kel-Tecs - P3AT & PF-9.

I've got a Springfield XD-9 Subcompact and even that is much harder to conceal than the revolvers.

CCW-45 XD 45 vs Glock 45

The Glock platform is in fact very reliable, (I own a Glock .45) but has in my opinion three areas of concern: The first is the cant of the grip, which typically ends up with the front site pointing high upon the initial draw, requiring an adjustment of your sight picture for proper target accusation, verses any platform that uses the 1911 grip cant, which for most shooters ends up with the front site on target during the initial draw.

The second point of concern is the lack of full chamber support at the bottom of the cartridge case, which can result in the bottom of the cartridge and the gun blowing out if you happen to load a cartridge with a powder overload. I have seen this happen personally not once but twice on the range. The first blew a hole through the gun just in front of the trigger guard, and the second blew the entire magazine out of the gun with such force it hit the ground and shattered the magazine into three pieces. We never did find the magazine spring. Fortunately in both cases, the shooter received only minor injuries.

The third cause for concern is that the only safety on a Glock is in fact the trigger safety, and if you note; the number one gun responsible for trained police officers shooting themselves in the leg or foot is a Glock; typically when holstering the gun, either by keeping their finger in the trigger guard, or catching a piece of clothing in the trigger guard.

This does not happen with the XD as it also has a grip safety which is almost impossible to hold down while holstering the gun, and it in my experience is just as reliable as the Glock.

9. carry gun

Try the Beretta PX4 in 45. It is very accurate not too heavy. If my wife can carry it I think you will be able to.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Richard A Nanni View Post
    I have both the P45 and the XD45. The P45 is much smaller and lighter, and shoots well. It does however have a mild dislike for hollow point ammunition and can occasionally jam when using same. The XD although larger in overall format will handle any ammunition you feed it and rarely, if ever jams. For personal defense; reliability is always the most critical aspect of any gun you choose. Test your gun and ammunition on the range to ensure you have a combination that works 99.999% of the time.[/SIZE][/SIZE]
    100% would be a whole lot better. Nothing like a jam when the bad guy has HIS gun aimed at your head and is hollering "Gimme the money MF". Got THAT T Shirt so it's perhaps a biased opinion. But having said this I also need to say that despite two close lethal force contacts I have yet to fire a shot. I took the alternative route and escaped to fight another day. At first one feels somehow 'weakened' by this course of action, but after some more serious training and discussion one realizes that ultimately, if it can be done, this is the best resolution to a lethal force encounter. In the first the BG was never identified; in the second the BG's are serving time and were taken down at gunpoint by police (yes, Martha, LE does indeed come to the party on occasion!).

Glock 36 is good. Light and has smooth lines so nothing will get hung up during a draw.They work every time no double feeds or stove pipes to worry about.

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast