Best CCW 45 ACP? - Page 11
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Best CCW 45 ACP?

Colt Defender.

I've also grown quite fond of the Colt Officer's ACP... Try many and choose the one that works best for you...

Peace...
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

I carry my XD45 4" on almost all occasions now that I have a decent concealment holster. Even with shorts in the summer, it is easily concealed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Hamberger View Post
    All of this tuff talk has prompted me to add my 2 cents worth also... I'm a retired MSgt (USAF) 25 yrs active duty, 68 yrs old, a Vietnam Veteran from 1966-68,(I retired in 1983). I went over in March 66 and came home Oct 68, so I actually spent over two tours in country. I own both 9mm and .45acp pistols and I carry both. Unlike the gentleman who stated the Beretta M9 took as many as 21 rds to take out an insurgent, he didn't mention that the military is committed to carrying NATO rds, so I believe his story... but I carry Federal Hi-Shok JHP +p+ rds in my 9mm and I don't think it would take but one, maybe two rds to put someone's lights with them. So I feel comfortable carrying either weapon, and I always carry spare magazines.
    I was waiting for someone to bring that up. 9mm FMJ isn't much of a stopper. I honestly don't know that .45 FMJ is much better. However with the better-performing SD ammo I think the 9mm is a good defensive round. One of my carry guns is a Kahr PM9 loaded with Speer 124g JHPs. I don't think the BG is going to survive 7 rounds of that.

Personally I'm considering a larger EDC in either .40 or .45 once the fiscal situation allows for it (my wife and I just had a baby). I'm considering a Glock compact (model 19 size) but I'm going to make sure I get what I really want, with the night sights. Plus my father is looking at getting a Glock 9mm so I may wait until he gets it and make sure the Glock works for me.

Does Glock still do rebuilds at their shooting events (or have they ever)?

Quote Originally Posted by hunter won View Post
    The M9 has been more effective at longer ranges than the 45 ACP in combat.
    How long are "longer ranges?" The .45 has a good bit of drop (I believe many 230 grain loads are actually subsonic) so I'd bet that once you get out beyond 25 yards the point of aim changes tremendously.

No offense or flame intended, but defensive handguns are typically meant for very short ranges (7-10 yards).

Although I carry a 1911 45acp, I believe the perfect round (for me anyway) is the 38 Super in a 1911 type frame. Fast, flat shooting and packs a hell of a punch.

8. Quote Originally Posted by SC Tiger View Post
    I was waiting for someone to bring that up. 9mm FMJ isn't much of a stopper. I honestly don't know that .45 FMJ is much better. However with the better-performing SD ammo I think the 9mm is a good defensive round. One of my carry guns is a Kahr PM9 loaded with Speer 124g JHPs. I don't think the BG is going to survive 7 rounds of that.

Personally I'm considering a larger EDC in either .40 or .45 once the fiscal situation allows for it (my wife and I just had a baby). I'm considering a Glock compact (model 19 size) but I'm going to make sure I get what I really want, with the night sights. Plus my father is looking at getting a Glock 9mm so I may wait until he gets it and make sure the Glock works for me.

Does Glock still do rebuilds at their shooting events (or have they ever)?
    I am carrying the Glock 30 in .45 ACP whenever I can and when I really need something smaller I go with a Glock 26 in 9mm. Use Speer Gold Dots mostly. Never feel undergunned. Either is a manstopper with well placed rounds but don't expect an instant stop with either - you've got to make a cerebellum shot in order to be assured of that. A shot to the cardiopulmonary triangle is a bleed shot and could take just a wee bit too much time to turn your assailant off so get trained, practice and know what you are involved in when and if you pull out that gun and especially if you take a shot. It is a last resort. And thanks to discussion on this board we have gone to a short, "tactical" shotgun for home defense along with our Glock .45. Still, there are no guarantees and if one studies the literature and reports one will note that even a bad guy shot through the heart and lungs can continue to operate for minutes before coming to a dead stop. Plenty enough time to walk down the street or to take a machete to your head. Know what you are going to do when faced with a swiss cheese moving target.

As of late I have been playing with the Sig P239 to match my Sig P226 and have been toying with the Springfield XDM 45 and a few others; but I always seem to come back to those wee Glocks for some reason. With the NY1 trigger in them and a top quality holster I am now comfy with carrying them hot.... and after my Orlando experience I will always carry hot.

JSDinTexas Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by torontogunguy View Post
    I am carrying the Glock 30 in .45 ACP whenever I can and when I really need something smaller I go with a Glock 26 in 9mm. Use Speer Gold Dots mostly. Never feel undergunned. Either is a manstopper with well placed rounds but don't expect an instant stop with either - you've got to make a cerebellum shot in order to be assured of that. A shot to the cardiopulmonary triangle is a bleed shot and could take just a wee bit too much time to turn your assailant off so get trained, practice and know what you are involved in when and if you pull out that gun and especially if you take a shot. It is a last resort. And thanks to discussion on this board we have gone to a short, "tactical" shotgun for home defense along with our Glock .45. Still, there are no guarantees and if one studies the literature and reports one will note that even a bad guy shot through the heart and lungs can continue to operate for minutes before coming to a dead stop. Plenty enough time to walk down the street or to take a machete to your head. Know what you are going to do when faced with a swiss cheese moving target.

As of late I have been playing with the Sig P239 to match my Sig P226 and have been toying with the Springfield XDM 45 and a few others; but I always seem to come back to those wee Glocks for some reason. With the NY1 trigger in them and a top quality holster I am now comfy with carrying them hot.... and after my Orlando experience I will always carry hot.
    You are getting closer than some theorists I have read on this site as to what the bottom line is. And I agree; the only dead stop is the head, all else takes a matter of seconds (brain can go only 10-30 seconds without blood circulation) if shot placement is good.
    I ran across this: "Handgun Wounding Factors And Effectiveness" published through the US Dept of Justice that gets down to the facts pretty well.
    You can read it here: http://www.firearmstactical.com/pdf/fbi-hwfe.pdf
    This is why I don't carry a 9mm and do carry a 10mm +P and a .45 +P

10. Quote Originally Posted by jsdinTexas View Post
    You are getting closer than some theorists I have read on this site as to what the bottom line is. And I agree; the only dead stop is the head, all else takes a matter of seconds (brain can go only 10-30 seconds without blood circulation) if shot placement is good.
    I ran across this: "Handgun Wounding Factors And Effectiveness" published through the US Dept of Justice that gets down to the facts pretty well.
    You can read it here: http://www.firearmstactical.com/pdf/fbi-hwfe.pdf
    This is why I don't carry a 9mm and do carry a 10mm +P and a .45 +P
    Agreed; excepting that a very well placed shot to the cerebellum is a "dead stop" shot if it does its work. It is the shot that LE hostage situation snipers are trained to take as I understand it because the chances of even a finger twitch to the trigger of the hostage-taker's gun are reduced or remote.

Having said this, I am reminded (I was reading Bird's book "Thank God I had a Gun" last night that even a poorly placed 9mm round can do the job albeit erratically. I speak of his account of the fellow who is cut off by someone who was in a road rage situation and started punching him in the head.... Our fellow drew his concealed carry and fired one round out his car window into the assailants stomache area and dropped him like a sack of potatoes. The round had penetrated a pile of vital organs. In the same book there are accounts of assailants being shot through the heart and lungs and actually turning around and walking out of the shooter's home and down the street and getting into the getaway car and asking to be driven to the hospital (they did not survive the trip but this gives one an idea of, in other circumstances, the amount of time and damage that could still be done).

Personally, I want to carry the largest and ugliest rounds that I can (Glock 30, .45 ACP Gold Dots +p) but in the alternative I will carry a smaller gun (Glock 26 9mm again with Gold Dots +P's) the point being that anything is better than nothing in a lethal force self defense situation.

The reason, I have read, that the military was always big on .45 ACP was that it was supposedly a more effective round than 9mm when forced to use FMJ by international convention. And that we went to 9mm FMJ in the Beretta M9's only because that was the 'standard' round for our NATO allies for the most part. I hear from fellows who have gone to our current sandboxes and am hearing that many stow their 9mm sidearms and manage to bring along .45's which give them a higher degree of comfort and effectiveness. Glocks are quite popular over there I understand. Do I hear right that there is actually a sand-resistant magazine being made for the Glocks, or is that a fairy tale?

Hey everyone, This too is my first post, Ive been lingering on here for a while just reading and trying to be a sponge. As to the question I carry a Kimber Pro CDP II. I love this weapon, however, it dose require me to wear a larger shirt and ask my wife if she can see me printing. But over all I'm pleased with my set-up. The ammo I carry is from RBCD and hope to never need it, but its there just in case.

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast