Best CCW 45 ACP? - Page 12
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Best CCW 45 ACP?

1. Smile Mil Pro

Hey guys,

I carry a Taurus Millenium pro in 45 acp (compact / DA / 10+1 / 329.00 NIB at Academy Sports )in an Uncle Mike's IWB (probably gonna upgrade holsters next). Before that I carried the Mil Pro in 9mm.
    I love it. Not a Jam in over 200 rounds (got the gun in July), easy to point, double strike, great trigger, and has a manual safety. (I have a 18 month old - so that's a requirement.)

At 1/3 the price of a Kimber and 2/3 the price of a Glock, I would recommend it to anyone.

Kenn

JSDinTexas Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by torontogunguy View Post
    Agreed; excepting that a very well placed shot to the cerebellum is a "dead stop" shot if it does its work. It is the shot that LE hostage situation snipers are trained to take as I understand it because the chances of even a finger twitch to the trigger of the hostage-taker's gun are reduced or remote.

Having said this, I am reminded (I was reading Bird's book "Thank God I had a Gun" last night that even a poorly placed 9mm round can do the job albeit erratically. I speak of his account of the fellow who is cut off by someone who was in a road rage situation and started punching him in the head.... Our fellow drew his concealed carry and fired one round out his car window into the assailants stomache area and dropped him like a sack of potatoes. The round had penetrated a pile of vital organs. In the same book there are accounts of assailants being shot through the heart and lungs and actually turning around and walking out of the shooter's home and down the street and getting into the getaway car and asking to be driven to the hospital (they did not survive the trip but this gives one an idea of, in other circumstances, the amount of time and damage that could still be done).

Personally, I want to carry the largest and ugliest rounds that I can (Glock 30, .45 ACP Gold Dots +p) but in the alternative I will carry a smaller gun (Glock 26 9mm again with Gold Dots +P's) the point being that anything is better than nothing in a lethal force self defense situation.

The reason, I have read, that the military was always big on .45 ACP was that it was supposedly a more effective round than 9mm when forced to use FMJ by international convention. And that we went to 9mm FMJ in the Beretta M9's only because that was the 'standard' round for our NATO allies for the most part. I hear from fellows who have gone to our current sandboxes and am hearing that many stow their 9mm sidearms and manage to bring along .45's which give them a higher degree of comfort and effectiveness. Glocks are quite popular over there I understand. Do I hear right that there is actually a sand-resistant magazine being made for the Glocks, or is that a fairy tale?
    I agree on all points. Don't know about the sand Glock but they shoot everywhere including under water so likely. And I had the opportunity to shoot speer gold dots last week in .40 and.45 and that will be my new PD round instead of the Win Ranger SXT I have been using - a recognizable difference in the bang.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Old Zebra View Post
    I have a 1911 in .45 ACP and a Sig .380 ACP. The 1911 is a Nighthawk GRP Recon with a Streamlight TLR-2 mounted on the gun's rail. I love this gun. But for me (age 68) the 1911 is too heavy for carry. Instead, I rely on it as my primary home defense weapon. I prefer to carry the Sig P238. When loaded, the Sig is less than one-third the weight of the Nighthawk. And the Sig conceals very well.

my setup too. in TX the .380 is on my most often during the warm months. supertuck for it already. the kimber has an aluminum frame so weight isnt as bad but the grip prints more so its not as much a warm weather gun. couldnt be happier with either.

I've said it before, I'll say it again, "Carry the largest gun you can comfortably conceal in the largest caliber you can accurately shoot."

Shot placement is king, penetration is queen, all else is a discussion of how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.
    Dan Hammond, Sr.
    Christian and No Foolin' Infidel
    NRA Marksmanship Instructor and Training Counselor, RSO, KS CCH Instructor

6. My Answer

Quote Originally Posted by Deadontarget View Post
    Hi everyone, First off, I am brand new to this site and would like to say a Big Hello to everyone!http://www.usacarry.com/forums/image...es/new1/no.gif
    Now down to business: I currently carry a Kahr PM9 (about 400 plus rounds fired through it) which is very concealable, and accurate. It has proven itself to be an excellent CCW to carry during the warmer months when I wear just shorts and a t-shirt. However, I would love to carry a 45 ACP and have really looked hard at the P45. I also like the 1911 platform and if I had the extra $$$, I'd probably get the ED Brown Kobra Carry. Both guns have their advantages and disadvantages. Weight, size, durability, accuracy, etc. Any members out there with opinion. I would really like to know if anyone has had both or one or the other. Thanks!!
    I don't think you can go wrong with the Brown, I carry the Kimber Tactical Ultra and love it, a lot less $$$ than the Brown. I also use a holster I made that replicates the Crossbreed holster. Very comfortable and allows tucking the shirt. I am not much for any weapon that weighs more than 31 Oz dry. I walk and sit allot during the day. Today, I believe the holster selection more important than the firearm choice (As long as you choose the .45ACP in a reputable brand). I have fired 200,000 rounds through my Kimber Tactical Ultra and all is well, I have replaced the recoil spring once.

My 1911 hits center mass in the guy, but the Glock keeps hitting the target in the eyes, Wow the grip angle is too uncomfortable for me.

7. Quote Originally Posted by torontogunguy View Post
    Agreed; excepting that a very well placed shot to the cerebellum is a "dead stop" shot if it does its work. It is the shot that LE hostage situation snipers are trained to take as I understand it because the chances of even a finger twitch to the trigger of the hostage-taker's gun are reduced or remote.

Having said this, I am reminded (I was reading Bird's book "Thank God I had a Gun" last night that even a poorly placed 9mm round can do the job albeit erratically. I speak of his account of the fellow who is cut off by someone who was in a road rage situation and started punching him in the head.... Our fellow drew his concealed carry and fired one round out his car window into the assailants stomache area and dropped him like a sack of potatoes. The round had penetrated a pile of vital organs. In the same book there are accounts of assailants being shot through the heart and lungs and actually turning around and walking out of the shooter's home and down the street and getting into the getaway car and asking to be driven to the hospital (they did not survive the trip but this gives one an idea of, in other circumstances, the amount of time and damage that could still be done).

Personally, I want to carry the largest and ugliest rounds that I can (Glock 30, .45 ACP Gold Dots +p) but in the alternative I will carry a smaller gun (Glock 26 9mm again with Gold Dots +P's) the point being that anything is better than nothing in a lethal force self defense situation.

The reason, I have read, that the military was always big on .45 ACP was that it was supposedly a more effective round than 9mm when forced to use FMJ by international convention. And that we went to 9mm FMJ in the Beretta M9's only because that was the 'standard' round for our NATO allies for the most part. I hear from fellows who have gone to our current sandboxes and am hearing that many stow their 9mm sidearms and manage to bring along .45's which give them a higher degree of comfort and effectiveness. Glocks are quite popular over there I understand. Do I hear right that there is actually a sand-resistant magazine being made for the Glocks, or is that a fairy tale?
    US Military, (at least the Navy) is going back to 45 ACP. Haven't heard or seen which model yet but should be totally implemented by 2013.

My personal favorite is the Kimber Super Carry Pro. It is fairly light weight, has an excellent custom snake scale where the checkering would normally be, and has a rounded butt. It is perfection in my personal opinion. Look at the link below.

Kimber America | Super Carry Pro

Taurus 24/7 OSS DS .45 with 230 grain jacketed hp...just saying.
    At 2 lbs 8.2 oz, it's not for everyone. The Pro C or Millennium Pro is smaller and lighter.
    The PT 1911 would be my next choice...

If you can find a range that will rent several different models, do so. Our closest range is about 30 minutes away. $5 an hour plus range fee.
    Taurus 24/7 OSS DS .45
    Ruger LCR .357
    Remington 870 Tactical 12 ga

If I owned a gun and if I carried a gun, it would be my colt combat commander year around same as noted in the avatar if it were me in the avatar, think the anti gunners are happy, don't care. Carry winter summer good equipment allows you to carry ccw winter/summer, am carrying in shorts, tee-shirt and hawaiian shirt, no print 230g hollowpoint. Two rounds center mass, if necessary third round tip of nose. Peace, Love, Colt 45.

I love my Dan Wesson Classic Bobtail. It's all stainless steel and in 45ACP. The barrel is 4.25" long. Not small, but a great carry gun. Reliable and accurate.
    Charlie

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast