Best CCW 45 ACP? - Page 13
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: Best CCW 45 ACP?

I have a vintage Star PD in .45ACP that's easy to conceal, light to carry and easy to operate and reliable...
    Daily carry: Sig P239 or S&W 3913
    High Noon Horsehide holster
    Black Talon ammo

If you have not settled this by now I'd look at a XD45 compact, can really recommend that one.

I'm sure the HK-45c is mentioned a few times already.

I carry a S&W .40 as my firearm of choice. Wear shoulder holster and had a special IWB for it by local leather smith. There are times I will carry the Taurus millennium PT 111 Pro or 9 mm when I don't carry the S&W. Both are excellent firearms for me to trust my life with. If I really want to go lite or out to dinner dressed up, I have a Taurus tcp 738 or .380. I like them all and I always carry where I can. Since you put in the Taurus 1911, I felt like sharing about my Taurus family. I would like to get the 1911, what do you think would be a fair price. I'm sure I like the 45.

Quote Originally Posted by DennyRec123 View Post
    I carry a S&W .40 as my firearm of choice. Wear shoulder holster and had a special IWB for it by local leather smith. There are times I will carry the Taurus millennium PT 111 Pro or 9 mm when I don't carry the S&W. Both are excellent firearms for me to trust my life with. If I really want to go lite or out to dinner dressed up, I have a Taurus tcp 738 or .380. I like them all and I always carry where I can. Since you put in the Taurus 1911, I felt like sharing about my Taurus family. I would like to get the 1911, what do you think would be a fair price. I'm sure I like the 45.
    I've seen it as low as as $450 at Larry's Gun & Pawn. Never bought on-line though so I can't advise.
    Taurus 24/7 OSS DS .45
    Ruger LCR .357
    Remington 870 Tactical 12 ga

HK USP full size in a strong side pancake.... not hard to hide at all...
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century
    "Don't be so open minded that your brains fall out!" Father John Corapi.

Hey Deadontarget, I don't want to be picky but I think it was Edmund Burke not TJ who said your tag line. Back on thread, I carry a Taurus 45 but only in my Fanny pack and I get into a SA mode when I wear it outside the belt and it might print, but mostly I carry a Walter 380 inside the belt.

Have parked a Colt 1911, Para Warthog, and a Springfield Armory for a "mini 45". It is a Sig 232 in 380. Like an earlier poster I am retired and the smaller, lighter, and quicker Sig suits my needs. My45s are located nearby about everywhere I go--just in case. I also keep one in my truck on top of a longer firearm.

10. Just as a matter of interest, I have been working on a favourite .45 carry for six years now. I presently carry a Glock 30; most dependable, most reliable, ten rounds, etc. Love it. But one always looks for something better so here's my list of what I intend to play with this year and have to make a choice, once and for all.
    Sig C3 compact 1911
    Sig Compact 1911 with rail
    HK USP .45 Compact threaded
    Sig P239
    Smith and Wesson 99

I have taken all of my 9mm's off the list after reading the FBI reports and in especially the report of the LA County Medical Examiner - awesome.

One other thing. I have been looking at the .45 LC as of late as I came across a round by DDuplex.... if anyone has seen it at work you will understand fully. The hole going in at close range is about 1" diameter as the round begins to flare immediately on leaving the barrel yet is super accurate by design. The damage done inside the recipient is unbelievable, even for me. The insides literally explode from the pressure and being torn apart and the exit wound is the size of a cantaloupe. It is being used in the north up here for bear defense and is quite effective. They have a website but I warn you it is not for the feint of heart. This single round is just the thing I needed to start me all over again. The Taurus Judge in 3 or 4.25" will carry five rounds but I can absolutely guarantee you that a hit ANYWHERE on your assailant is going to be cause to sit up and take notice. A hit in the cardiovascular triangle has got to be 99% lethal. We are bringing in a case of them in 12 guage as well as .410/45LC for 'bear defense'.

Back to .45's and I have to say that I keep trying different handguns out but keep coming back to the darned Glock 30. Not going to carry the G36 which is even smaller like Tim at USCCA does cuz 6 rounds is just asking for grief.... I want ten rounds and two ten round backup mags. If I can't do the business in 31 rounds I best be running as fast as my big feet will carry me.

The Glock, by the way, has only about 35 moving parts in total and is totally easy to work on. No need for a gunsmith unless you are very uncomfortable or don't own a Glock sight tool.

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    you have carried a 9mm but now you want to carry a 45. I think it is odd that you started with a 9mm. In the field, Iraq, they have seen where it takes 11 rounds from the M9 to bring down one enemy. I like to do things right the first time, that means find a caliber that brings them down with one shot. That is the .45 ACP! Kimber is priced to not sell. Sig is a great gun and is easy to get back on target. Springfield Armory XD gives a nice price, but it has the polymer frame. Polymer frame gives a rotating recoil, this is the same on the Kahr. Best bet is to find a place that will let you try out the different versions of the 45. I like the 1911. My use is person safety in public and family safety while in bear country. The trouble with bear is they do not fall on the first shot.
    So much wrong with this statement:
    1) ~ There is NO ADDED STOPPING POWER with a .45 Only muliple shots bring down a bad guy unless you interupt the central nervous system. (head shot or spine shot)
    2) ~ Polymer frame gives rotating recoil? Learn how to grip your weapon. Proper grip will all but eliminate recoil. BTW recoil on XD or XDm is minimal.
    3) ~ Sig easy to get back on target? Again technique is an issue.

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast