Best CCW 45 ACP? - Page 2
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Best CCW 45 ACP?

Hi everyone, new to this site. I carry a M&P .45 when its cooler outside. Otherwise the Glock 36 is a lightweight awesome pistol. I carried a Colt Gov't 1911 on duty for two years when my dept went to those in the 80s. We had a few accidental discharges (including one SWAT member shooting another accidentally) and other problems (like remembering to hit the safety lever) since we carried them "cocked and locked." If you CC one you must practice, practice, practice. Most of the time my Glock 27 (.40) is on my side or ankle.

I have both the PM9 and the P45 .... I started with the pm9 for concealability, and got the p45 later for some extra punch during cold weather. Turns out that I use the p45 most of the time (even summer here in Indiana) in a minotaur IWB tuckable from Comp-tac. I only use the PM9 for pocket carry even though I got the spare kydex cover to use it with the minotaur.

While I like both guns I prefer the p45 for the bigger hole and longer grip. I also shoot much better with it either because of the grip or the longer barrel/sight line.

I am considering a xd40 or xd45 for cold weather and open carry around the farm. While realistically I probably will never need anything more then the 7 in the first mag ... something just feels good about double digit round counts.

I have owned glocks in the past, but I suffer from fat palm / short finger syndrome and their grips are just too chunky for my personal preferences. The xd with the small back strap fits me decent.

For concealed carry I prefer DA no hammer (or at least not exposed hammer) guns. Love the 1911's ... just not for concealed carry. I also prefer that what ever I carry functions similarly. In my case I prefer to stick with the glock / kahr / XD style with no thumb safety. I also believe that if you carry a duty weapon you need the additional safeties and if you practice with those safeties then your EDC should be similar.

Unless you are really stuck on the 45 ACP consider the kahr in 40 cal. External dimensions are essentially identical so the same holsters should work with your pm9 and karh p40.

Quote Originally Posted by glockerocker View Post
    Hi everyone, new to this site. I carry a M&P .45 when its cooler outside. Otherwise the Glock 36 is a lightweight awesome pistol. I carried a Colt Gov't 1911 on duty for two years when my dept went to those in the 80s. We had a few accidental discharges (including one SWAT member shooting another accidentally) and other problems (like remembering to hit the safety lever) since we carried them "cocked and locked." If you CC one you must practice, practice, practice. Most of the time my Glock 27 (.40) is on my side or ankle.
    Just picked up the M&P 45 full frame. I love my S&W model 65 .357 Mag, but it's kinda hard to hide in the summer. I like the "take down / stopping power" of the .357 Mag so the 45 ACP was the logical choice for an auto pistol. Hides nice in the SuperTuck. I'm not a real big fan of the 9mm...
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

I would look at the beretta Cougar model 8045f google it.

Colt New Agent

I sold my Kimber Ultra CarryII and now have a Colt New Agent. I just trasferred the Crimson Trace grips and have a beautiful gun. The New Agent has no protruding sites and is all metal, no polymer, I have other .45s but this is what I prefer to carry when not carrying my HK compact .45.
    The Iceman, Akron, Oh
    Shoot straight and be safe...

I don't have a .45. Think the 2 .40 I ahve will do the trick?

Damn oops I forgot. My Taurus Judge.....45 Colt

Thank you everyone for all the great responses! I did some further research on the subject and a good friend of mine asked why don't I just get a smaller 40 cal. Maybe like a P40 from Kahr. Now I'm really confused. I know the recoil is sharper from a 40 cal, but the muzzle flip is less than that of a 45. Softer recoil but more muzzle flip. Since the gun I'm looking at is for personal defense, I really have to weigh the pros and cons. I will consider this debate for some time before I make my final decision.
    "All that's necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing " - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Old Zebra View Post
    I have a 1911 in .45 ACP and a Sig .380 ACP. The 1911 is a Nighthawk GRP Recon with a Streamlight TLR-2 mounted on the gun's rail. I love this gun. But for me (age 68) the 1911 is too heavy for carry. Instead, I rely on it as my primary home defense weapon. I prefer to carry the Sig P238. When loaded, the Sig is less than one-third the weight of the Nighthawk. And the Sig conceals very well.
    That Nighthawk is an awesome gun! I had a chance to fire one (Talon) before I bought my Ed Brown. I think you are right about its size and weight for personal carry. I give credit to those who carry one as a personal defense weapon. This is probably why I have doubt carrying one (even a shorter barrel 1911) as one.
    "All that's necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing " - Benjamin Franklin

I have and love my Kimber CDPII.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast