Best CCW 45 ACP? - Page 9
Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Best CCW 45 ACP?

I carry the Kimber Ultra Carry II .45ACP in Stainless during the summer. When I'm wearing a jacket, I'll carry my ParaOrd SF-45 HiCAP 5" in .45ACP

Quote Originally Posted by hunter won View Post
    Ted Nugent said it best last year he was on Gun Talk and mentioned that he once carried a 1911 45 ACP 230 grain +P and realized it just doesn't have the speed to do what a 10mm does.He shot a boar wth the 45 cal, proper shot placements with no luck.His Glock 20 10mm has been used plenty of times without a problem.I'll take 15 shots vs 8 shots, but remember the the 15 shot gun is more powerfull.
    As one who has shot Wild Boar, I'll tell you they don't just lay down and I doubt the 10 really had a greater effect on one than the 45. I would never take less than a 44 mag as a "Back Up" gun against a boar, and only to a very nice rifle...
    Glock Armorer, Remington 870 Armorer
    UTAH: 1 Florida:1 NH:1 Nevada:0 California:1 PA:1

4. Quote Originally Posted by gschoelles View Post
    As one who has shot Wild Boar, I'll tell you they don't just lay down and I doubt the 10 really had a greater effect on one than the 45. I would never take less than a 44 mag as a "Back Up" gun against a boar, and only to a very nice rifle...
    I've shot numerous Wild Russian Boar with a M29 S&W 44 mag and it works fine.BTW the G20 loaded with real 10mm not the down loaded Hornady or PMC or Federal type.I'm talking about Double Tap ammo which is what I used to kill deer bear & Wild Boar.I have shot deer with close in shots with a 1911 Kimber loaded with 230 grain +P and watch the deer run off and use my Marlin 44 mag to drop it.The 45 ACP doesn't penetrate deep, found the bullet never expanded in the lung area.The 45 ACP is feable for hunting just stick to a good caliber like the 10mm because it works.

5. The best 45 ACP is the one that permits you to make accurate shot placement as when all is said and done, you can do plenty of damage with almost any of the larger calibers.

There are plenty of stories of animals, including the human animal, shot right through the heart and still rendering an attack or running away some distance before bleeding out or going into shock.

HOWEVER, a good shot is one to the 'dead stop' triangle (as I call it for lack of a better term) and that is the shot in a human that would take out the 'base of the brain' that sends signals to the rest of the body; the cerebral cortex. In a head on shot it is a very tough one to make as you and your target will be moving most likely, but the target is a triangle with its base along the lower lip and its apex at the bridge of the nose (roughly). A shot well placed with a well engineered round into this area has very high probability of producing a 'dead stop' - without even a twitch of the trigger finger in a hostage situation. Realizing that it is a very very tough shot to make under the best of circumstances, especially from distance, one generally relies on lots of hearsay like "I shot the bad guy with a 45ACP Gold Dot and he dropped". BS. Read Bird's books on handgunnery and you will see plenty of accounts of bad guys that took several shots to the cardio-pulmonary triangle (chest) creating massive trauma and yet managed to run half a block down the road before dropping. Now imagine if that same bad guy were intent on doing you serious damage? The mind wanders.

So, in the end, I still want a .45ACP with at least ten rounds (a la Glock 30) that is well concealable (a la Glock 30) and ultra reliable so that I know that I can get a whack of accurate enough shots off in short order. There is NO best .45. For some, it is a full size 1911 and for others it is a Glock 30. I happen to like both but tend toward the G30 due to its size and weight.

In the end, practice and training are essential whatever you choose. And whatever you choose, use it in competition as well.... like IPSC/IDPA.

6. Quote Originally Posted by torontogunguy View Post
    The best 45 ACP is the one that permits you to make accurate shot placement as when all is said and done, you can do plenty of damage with almost any of the larger calibers.

There are plenty of stories of animals, including the human animal, shot right through the heart and still rendering an attack or running away some distance before bleeding out or going into shock.

HOWEVER, a good shot is one to the 'dead stop' triangle (as I call it for lack of a better term) and that is the shot in a human that would take out the 'base of the brain' that sends signals to the rest of the body; the cerebral cortex. In a head on shot it is a very tough one to make as you and your target will be moving most likely, but the target is a triangle with its base along the lower lip and its apex at the bridge of the nose (roughly). A shot well placed with a well engineered round into this area has very high probability of producing a 'dead stop' - without even a twitch of the trigger finger in a hostage situation. Realizing that it is a very very tough shot to make under the best of circumstances, especially from distance, one generally relies on lots of hearsay like "I shot the bad guy with a 45ACP Gold Dot and he dropped". BS. Read Bird's books on handgunnery and you will see plenty of accounts of bad guys that took several shots to the cardio-pulmonary triangle (chest) creating massive trauma and yet managed to run half a block down the road before dropping. Now imagine if that same bad guy were intent on doing you serious damage? The mind wanders.

So, in the end, I still want a .45ACP with at least ten rounds (a la Glock 30) that is well concealable (a la Glock 30) and ultra reliable so that I know that I can get a whack of accurate enough shots off in short order. There is NO best .45. For some, it is a full size 1911 and for others it is a Glock 30. I happen to like both but tend toward the G30 due to its size and weight.

In the end, practice and training are essential whatever you choose. And whatever you choose, use it in competition as well.... like IPSC/IDPA.
    The Glock 30 is a fine choice very reliable with plenty of options available like factory night sights and standard rail for a tactical light.I bought a Kimber Eclipse II that was going to be my new EDC weapon but couldn't find any hollowpoint ammo to work reliable.I bought a G30 for about $575 which included two mags and Night Sights.The Kimber was twice the price and only comes with one mag.I listened to all the guys at the club how great Kimbers are and bought one.I found that the Kimber works ok with ball ammo.The gun is a pain to clean,the barrel got rust which is a known problem with Kimber.I now use the G30 loaded with 165 grain Powerball from Cor Bon.I can fire hundreds of rounds and clean the gun in under 10 minutes,Glocks are just so easy to use.I stay away from the heavier rounds in the 45 ACP. I prefer the high velocity rounds best in shorter frame guns like the G30.

Best CCW 45 ACP? The one that will always work when needed. If I had to choose just one: I'll take a CZ97

8. Welcome to you (and me)!

New here myself. Hello to all.

My primary CCW is an S&W M&P .45ACP, Compact. Fairly concealable, packs that ol' .45 whallop, and I can carry it all day.
    --Not saying it's light , but I personally am not comfortable with smaller wheelguns, etc.

I look forward to contributing & interacting.

--gj

JSDinTexas Guest
    I feel fairly confident to carry the G30sf with Winchester Ranger SXT JHP 230g

I will also be carrying a Glock 30 with crimson trace grips. I considered my kimber eclipse utlra, but the darn thing has stovepiped in the past and thats not good when the fur is flying. My take on a glock, it does what it is suppose to do. It goes bang when you pull the trigger, each and every time.

I have also been toying with the idea of carrying my FiveSeven as its as light as the G30 and holds 20 rounds. But It is longer which makes it harder to conceal. I might use it as my open carry!!

I personally carry a Springfield XD .45 Compact in a Crossbreed Supertuck. I really like the safety features of the 1911 style grip safety, plus the trigger safety similar to the Glock trigger. To me add up the features, price, durability, dependability, and accuracy of the XD, and you've got a winner!
    My Website: Nerd with a .45

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast