Concealed carry vest - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Concealed carry vest

Quote Originally Posted by GLOCK9 View Post
    Anyone Have one of the Black Leather Motorcycle Vests with the "Holster" Pocket Built in? Is it Large enough to carry a GlOCK 19 and Not Imprint on the outside of the vest? Is the Access like a Vertical Shoulder Holster? The Websites that sell the vests do not show the Holster Location..Just says "Holster Sewn in"... What does that Mean?
    I don't want to invest $150.00 and have it shipped to Philippines if it's NOT Going to work... I'm Willing to take a chance if I get some outside information from some of you gentlemen that might have one, wear one or have seen one and get some first hand accounts. Thank You. Best, God Bless and Stay Safe.

Captain
    Can you please give the link to the website...??? Salamat.

"Don't let the door hit ya where the dawg shudda bit ya!"
    G'day and Glock
    GATEWAY SWIFT WING ST. LOUIS

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton Felix View Post
    Very informative post, Axeanda45. Thanks. I've been thinking about that vest, since I saw the ad in Sportsman's Guide.

Sounds like even occasional use of the vest's "holster" with a 4" Kimber Pro Carry might be out. Is that right? Yes, I believe that would still be just a bit too long for good concealment in the holster pocket.

You said you have XXL. Last time I checked, I lack 1/4" of being 5'10" and I'm closer to 230 than 220 (really trying to get back down to 200). My shirts and jackets are usually XL, but my Kilimanjaro riding jacket is XXL to fit comfortably over my usual work clothes. And we are talking "concealment" here. Would you say I should go with XL or XXL? Order 1 size larger than you would wear in a shirt or jacket, that is what they recommended, and it was correct for me. From your description of yourself... I think an XXL would work though.

You said it "barely" covered a 1911 but you wear your belt fairly low. I usually carry a 4" Kimber, though I do have a 5" 1911. And other than IWB, I'd be carrying it in my Beltster (Bandera Gunleather) so it would be visble below my belt. From your description, it sounds as if this vest should work OK. Is that right? Mine covers the end of my 1911 by about 1/2 inch when my arms are at my side, and my belt/waist is a little lower than most people wear theirs. My holster is not a high-riding one, the lowest part of thumb safety is about at the top of my belt.

The point about the magazine pockets is well taken. I know what you mean. Hard items in pocket get pushed up and sometimes out, if the garment comes down on a bench or chair. Given that the emphasis is on conceament over speed, a flap over the magazine pockets with Velcro or snaps would be a good idea.

Again, thanks for the review. This vest sounds like a piece of "work clothing" that would fit into most casual rural environments just fine.
    Your Welcome.

I wear a Roma Leather motorcycle vest with built in holster pockets. I really like it. Here's the link:

Concealment Vest from Roma Leather

As for people trying to avoid the "shoot me first" look with the other vests, a couple of Nikon patches sewn on the front and back will fix that quick.
    "When the outflow exceeds the inflow, the upkeep becomes the downfall"

Tucker's Mom...
    Men's Gun Concealment Leather Vests

Those are the Vests I was Looking at...

DarrelM5... Thank you for the Link... Does the vest Sag on one side with a heavy or Large pistol? So Its Just a Pocket... Closed with Velcro?
    Thank You.

Best and Stay Safe. "Captain"

6. A couple of us mentioned denim. The same Sportsman's Guide 2010 spring shooting supplies catalog that has the Blue Stone vest, has a handful of concealment vests and coats, including a denim vest and jacket by "Classic Old West Styles," whatever that means.

Classic Old West Styles Denim Concealment Vest, Holsters, Classic Old West at Sportsman's Guide

They've also got a cotton duck chore coat

Guide Gear Concealment Jacket, Brown, Holsters, Guide Gear at Sportsman's Guide

and a quilted vest, again by Classic Old West Styles:

Classic Old West Styles Concealment Vest, Black, Holsters, C.O.W.S. at Sportsman's Guide

The above are made in the USA. The denim vest looks a bit plain for a "pocket enthusiast" like me, but not bad.

I like to find someone with experience, find the item offered elsewhere with maker's name, or get lucky and fint it in a retail store. Some of Sportsman's Guide stuff is great, and some is cheesy import. You have to do your research. But he (Gary Olen) does mark the USA made stuff, and he uses a rating system on some items like knives.

I don't suppose anyone has experience with these...???
    “The police of a State should never be stronger or better armed than the citizenry. An armed citizenry, willing to fight is the foundation of civil freedom.” Heinlein

7. Hmmmm...

Classic Old West Styles (C.O.W.S.) is a division of Sebastian of El Paso Mfg.

Home

Vests/Coats

Interesting product line.
    “The police of a State should never be stronger or better armed than the citizenry. An armed citizenry, willing to fight is the foundation of civil freedom.” Heinlein

Does the vest Sag on one side with a heavy or Large pistol? So Its Just a Pocket... Closed with Velcro?
    It doesn't sag at all, and I usually carry a Sig P229R .40 S&W in it. The holster pockets on each side are identical and are held closed by a heavy duty, easy to open, snap. The pockets are fairly deep but I can draw really quickly, which I practice with a red training gun. There is an elastic loop in each pocket to help secure the pistol or a couple of magazines. I use the loop for mags, but the pistol stays put without it. The great thing is that these vests are under $100. They aren't quite as nice as the $200 Coronado vests but they look nice, aren't as hot, and hold up well.
    "When the outflow exceeds the inflow, the upkeep becomes the downfall"

9. It's been my experience with vests in general, and shirts (5.11 shirts have those hidden "document" pockets) that much weight will make 'em sag. Even if it's balanced, many vests and jackets will put pressure on the back of your neck, much the way the old X style shoulder holsters put pressure on your C-spine.

Stiff material helps, but internal suspension and balanced load would probably be best.

I don't expect miracles from the vest, just occasional carry use and good concealment.

BTW, Gary Olen at Sportsman's Guide missed a bet: He forgot to put his "USA MADE" banner on that Blue Stone vest, but Blue Stone says their products ARE made in the USA.

Just ordered a Guide Gear Vest. Will let you know how it works out.

Quote Originally Posted by GLOCK9 View Post
    Tucker's Mom...
    Men's Gun Concealment Leather Vests

Those are the Vests I was Looking at...

DarrelM5... Thank you for the Link... Does the vest Sag on one side with a heavy or Large pistol? So Its Just a Pocket... Closed with Velcro?
    Thank You.

Best and Stay Safe. "Captain"
    I have one o those FMC vests. It's a lot better than the $70 price would indicate. The concealment "holsters" inside are deep pockets with leather cuffs and snaps inside the pockets to keep them secured. Each pocket as a magazine holder also. The two side pockets outside are roomy and capable of carrying phones, etc. All in all, this is a very good vest, and if you dress like a biker most of the time, nobody would suspect you are using it as a concealment vest. It 's not unusual at all to see bikers wearing vests.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast