Maximum State Reciprocity - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Maximum State Reciprocity

1. I don't like it; the whole reason there isn't universal reciprocity is because different states have different requirements for the license. Federally-mandated reciprocity would open the door for the federal government to regulate the requirements for CC.

If the fed were to do anything, they should just abolish the requirement for handgun licensing in general as an infringement of the 2nd.

3. Quote Originally Posted by xdsoldier View Post
    I know Texas has alot of states that piggy back off of it
    How so? I have been looking around to get a U.S. drivers license and it appears that unless I am permanently resident in a given state it is almost impossible to get one. Since I have a Canadian driver's license I am double whammied cuz they make me hand in my Canadian DL to boot. So much silliness these days.

Is there a state that will issue a DL without being a permanent long term resident? Used to have one from NY state but not possible any longer unless I live there long term permanent.

4. Quote Originally Posted by SpaceFrank View Post
    I don't like it; the whole reason there isn't universal reciprocity is because different states have different requirements for the license. Federally-mandated reciprocity would open the door for the federal government to regulate the requirements for CC.

If the fed were to do anything, they should just abolish the requirement for handgun licensing in general as an infringement of the 2nd.
    Exactly my feelings to a "T". My thought would be your second suggestion but that will not happen in my lifetime methinks. So we are caught between the devil and the deep blue sea as they say.

Quote Originally Posted by torontogunguy View Post
    Again, keep a close eye on those non resident permit laws and reciprocity in general, friends. They change constantly (take the word of one who travels a whole lot when able).
    And they sometimes change for the worse :( As of July 2009 the Utah permit is no longer accepted in Nevada.

Butch

6. I don't know if this question has been asked before, so bear with me. Has anybody had any experience where they got stopped and presented a carry permit from a state other than the one you were stopped in? Was the reciprocity concept honored, or did you get a hard time, cuffed and stuffed, etc?

Quote Originally Posted by Hounddog View Post
    Getting permits from states you travel in a lot is a good idea. Trying to explain reciprocity at night by the side of the road is not my idea of a good time.
    I agree but some may not be able to afford a permit from every state they travel in. I only have two, Georgia and Florida and it covers the states I travel in most. Haven't had any problems with LE yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Hounddog View Post
    I don't know if this question has been asked before, so bear with me. Has anybody had any experience where they got stopped and presented a carry permit from a state other than the one you were stopped in? Was the reciprocity concept honored, or did you get a hard time, cuffed and stuffed, etc?
    Its easy enough to print the AG recip list pages for each of the states you will be in...carry with you when traveling. That way if you come across and LEO that doenst know...

9. An interesting side note. In SC we do not have reciprocity with Georgia, who geographically right next door. The reason is simple, SC doesn't want Georgia CWP holders carrying in our state because the testing standards for obtaining a permit in Georgia are not up to SC standards.

Not saying I agree, its just interesting to note the politics between states which prevent reciprocity.

Quote Originally Posted by cmj View Post
    An interesting side note. In SC we do not have reciprocity with Georgia, who geographically right next door. The reason is simple, SC doesn't want Georgia CWP holders carrying in our state because the testing standards for obtaining a permit in Georgia are not up to SC standards.

Not saying I agree, its just interesting to note the politics between states which prevent reciprocity.
    heh....PA borders 6 states...only 1 of which allows reciprocity...and thats the one with (i think) the smallest shared border WV.

Quote Originally Posted by cmj View Post
    SC doesn't want Georgia CWP holders carrying in our state because the testing standards for obtaining a permit in Georgia are not up to SC standards.
    Pretty offensive to have 'testing standards' for exercising a Constitutional Right :( Oregon is the same though. They don't accept permits from any other state and only issue to citizens of neighboring states.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast