10 Commandments of Concealed Carry - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 10 Commandments of Concealed Carry

Quote Originally Posted by JJFlash View Post
    The open carry advocates will argue that if a BG sees a gun, he may opt to go elsewhere to start shooting.

I don't know, HK, right now I don't have strong feelings about this one way or another, I guess. Mainsail makes a good argument for open carry and seems to cite a lot of facts/statistics, but I haven't really studied the literature, myself.

I'm not Ayoob, that's for sure, so I guess his argument trumps mine.
    Here in Texas we do not have open carry so I don't have the option anyway. I have carried concealed for many years. Guess I am just accustom to doing it that way.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

3. Quote Originally Posted by HK4U View Post
    The difference is if you are an LEO and in uniform then there is no element of surprise no matter how you carry. If you are some where and an active shooter starts gunning down everyone in sight and you carry concealed you might not be the first target. If he sees a gun on you guess who the first target will be. IMHO.
    What I meant by that was while serving warrants, decoy operations, etc.- I agree that in a mass shooting type of scenario by carrying concealed you'd have an advantage. However, in every day street crime open carry IMO would be the way to go.
    Quick to the gun, Sure of your grip. Quick to the threat, sure of your shot. - Chris Costa

I have read bits and pieces here and there on this Open Carry vs Concealed Carry debate.

I have to admit… I don’t really understand the reason for the argument! In my view the important thing is that whether you OC or CC—you have become an armed citizen and taken responsibility for defending your own safety and that of your community. You’ve taken a stand! Great job! :)

If your state allows OC, it comes down to a matter of comfort. Just like selecting a gun or holster—you need to decide which you’re most comfortable with—and go with it!

Great read HK! Thanks for posting. I especially liked the following excerpts:

“My pistol is more than just security. Like an Orthodox Jewish yarmulke or a Christian cross, it is a symbol of who I am, what I believe, and the moral standards by which I live.” — Finn Aagard

An armed citizen is held to what the law calls “a higher standard of care” and is expected to avoid situations like traffic arguments that could escalate, and with a deadly weapon present, turn into a killing situation. The concealed gun to an armed citizen is the constant reminder of a dangerous world—a symbol of the ever present need for caution and maintaining situational awareness at all times.
    Blessed be my God, my mountain, who trains me to fight fair and well! Psalm 144 (msg)
    ...follow me at twitter.com/matthewaynelson

okay i'll bite what the f--- is a Ayoob anyway?????? never mind it's" Massad F. Ayoob (born July 20, 1948) is an internationally-known firearms and self-defense instructor"

why doesn't LEO carry concealed?
    Why doesn't a uniformed police officer carry concealed? Are you seriously asking this?

as CWP holders, are going to be on the defensive, so I fail to see how the element of surprise figures into this. Theoretically, we are drawing our weapons presumably after having seen that the BG already has one in play; no way we are in anything but a disadvantaged, defensive mode, in this case.
    Just because a BG with a gun shows up, that doesn't mean the BG shows up and points a gun at you the armed citizen. More than likely, the BG shows up to rob the cashier/bank teller/liquor store employee/gun shop commando/etc. and the armed citizen is just a bystander.

If the BG is after you the armed citizen, hopefully if one is alert and aware of one's surroundings, then one will see the BG coming sometime before said BG shoves a muzzle in one's face.

However, if the BG does suddenly appear from thin air and shove a muzzle into one's face, even if one is carrying openly, does one believe one can beat a drawn gun?
    Ken Grubb
    Puyallup, WA

7. Quote Originally Posted by kengrubb View Post
    Why doesn't a uniformed police officer carry concealed? Are you seriously asking this?

Just because a BG with a gun shows up, that doesn't mean the BG shows up and points a gun at you the armed citizen. More than likely, the BG shows up to rob the cashier/bank teller/liquor store employee/gun shop commando/etc. and the armed citizen is just a bystander.

If the BG is after you the armed citizen, hopefully if one is alert and aware of one's surroundings, then one will see the BG coming sometime before said BG shoves a muzzle in one's face.

However, if the BG does suddenly appear from thin air and shove a muzzle into one's face, even if one is carrying openly, does one believe one can beat a drawn gun?
    http://www.usacarry.com/forums/open-...-argument.html

End of argument...
    Quick to the gun, Sure of your grip. Quick to the threat, sure of your shot. - Chris Costa

Rules to live by! Great Article!

Quote Originally Posted by LeftyX3 View Post
    Rules to live by! Great Article!
    Ayoob writes alot of good stuff, IMHO.

This is a great post, thanks for posting it HK! I agree that I would like to see an open carry option pass in Texas. Not because I intend to carry openly but because of the shirt that rides up or the coat that flyes open. It would change some of the holsters I currently us. I would not carry openly unless hunting because I would not want to imtindate people or go thew the comments or hassles from people that do not agree with my choices including LEOs.

10 commandments of Concealed Carry

Awesome post great read!
    As one who is going to go and get his CCW here in the next 6months it was great insight. This site has been awesome in terms of learning and insight about what to carry and diff forms of applications and accessories. Keep awesome things like this coming.

Thornton8000

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast