advice on S.C. CWP - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: advice on S.C. CWP

You should also note that although there is a space for your social security number on the application, you do not have to fill it in.
    Subsection (E) or 23-31-215

(E) SLED must make permit application forms available to the public. A permit application form shall require an applicant to supply:

(1) name, including maiden name if applicable;

(2) date and place of birth;

(3) sex;

(4) race;

(5) height;

(6) weight;

(7) eye and hair color;

(8) current residence address, or if the applicant is a qualified nonresident, current residence address and where the applicant owns real property in this State; and

(9) all residence addresses for the three years preceding the application date.

You do not have to give your social security number, telephone number, email address, or any information other that these nine items.

Quote Originally Posted by ccwnsc View Post
    If possible, get the actual dates from the jurisdiction in which you were charged. Include an attachment that lists each one separately with the dates and outcome of restitution, etc.... Just give the complete details and You will be fine.
    Above is correct. If you do not furnish details of incident as to arrest/conviction/disposition of case, county event happened. SC can deny. Check with a certified CWP Instructor OR call SLED prior to spending 120.00 just to be denied.

TWO ROUNDS BURSTS, ALWAYS!

Your situation is very similar to the one I had. I had a misdemeanor that I had pled guilty to, paid restitution and files. Almost 12 years later, I applied for my CWP. I called SLED to confirm that the old misdemeanor wouldn't be grounds for denial, and was insured that it would not hinder the application. I took the CWP course, sent in my application, and to my horror it was denied, due to the misdemeanor. They stated that I had falsified my application, and wasn't clear about the offense.

I appealed this denial, but not before talking to the solicitor's office, and starting the process to expunge my record (as the county of my offense allows after 10 years). I attached the letter from the solicitors office that stated that I was eligible for expungement, and also explained that I was in fact truthful on my application, and listed my one and only offense.

Two weeks later, my CWP showed up in the mail. I wrote about my experiences here: http://www.usacarry.com/forums/south...l-process.html

Good luck - and make sure you have all your ducks in a row before starting the process!
    My Website: Nerd with a .45

Details on criminal record is no longer needed. Neither is your driving record or a photo. Everything is handled through the background check.

Important Changes in SC CWP Application Process

A new digital format and changes in the submission process are but a few of the changes in the new SC Concealed Weapons Permit application process.

According to a letter sent to SLED Certified Instructors, the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division is requesting all new CWP applications to be filled out online, printed then taken to your CWP training course to be finished by your instructor.

In addition to the changes in the application format, applicants no longer need to submit a photograph or criminal record details.

Previously, the photographs were used to confirm applicant identity by comparing them to the images on file with DMV. Providing copies of your driving record and criminal arrest information are no longer needed, as these details show up in the criminal background check performed by SLED.

While the old applications will be accepted through June 30, if you are one of my past students who has not yet submitted your application, feel free to fill out the new application online (Here), print it out and give me a call. I will provide you with the new Concealed Weapons Permit Training Certificate that is now required as well as fill in my Instructor ID number and date of training on your new application.

More from SLED:
    • New applications must be submitted to:
    CWP Application
    SLED Data Center
    P.O. Box 21398
    Columbia, SC 29221
    • Money orders, certified checks and cashier’s checks are accepted forms of payment to be included with the application. Personal checks and cash will not be accepted.
    • Please do not call to check on the status of your application unless the 90 day period from the time SLED received your application has passed. (I recommend mailing your application with a return receipt so you know when it was received.)
    • Renewal applicants should use the online renewal process. Submit renewals 90 to 120 days before your permit expires.
    • Written appeals for denial letters should be forwarded to:
    Neal Dolan, Deputy Director
    C/O SLED Regulatory Services
    P.O. Box 21398
    Columbia, SC 29221-1398
    Make sure to include documentation supporting your appeal such as an expungement order, court disposition, incident report, etc.
    • When driving a vehicle in South Carolina, a handgun may be legally transported in the locked or unlocked glove compartment, console or trunk, (or on your person if you are carrying pursuant to a CWP). The handgun may be loaded or unloaded.
    •There are currently more than 450 Certified CWP instructors in S.C.
    •From the inception of the CWP program, SLED has received more than 109,000 applications and there are currently more than 78,000 active permits.
    •Since January 1, 2009, SLED has seen a 100-percent increase in applications submitted over last year, which they are attempting to manage with a 30-percent reduction in budget and staff.
    Friday, April 10, 2009
    Important Changes in SC CWP Application Process
    ForceTech, LLC
    North Augusta, S.C.
    (803) 646-3033
    E-mail: Click Here

2009 ForceTech, LLC. All Rights Reserved

next >shapeimage_4_link_0
    < previousshapeimage_5_link_0

USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

RED HAT, Thanks for the indepth info! The more accurate info out there the better!

If anyone knows, it's RedHat :)
    My Website: Nerd with a .45

I think I see where some confusion is being introduced. Some of us used the latest form to get our CCP. The CURRENT (about a year old) form does not require any details of past convictions, photos, traffic violations, etc. The CURRENT form just asks essentially if you are eligible to own a handgun. The background check takes care of any past violations. No more need to worry about "falsifying the form" by forgetting a long-lost speeding ticket or misdomeaner arrest.

Thank goodness! Much easier and more sensible now.

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    I think I see where some confusion is being introduced. Some of us used the latest form to get our CCP. The CURRENT (about a year old) form does not require any details of past convictions, photos, traffic violations, etc. The CURRENT form just asks essentially if you are eligible to own a handgun. The background check takes care of any past violations. No more need to worry about "falsifying the form" by forgetting a long-lost speeding ticket or misdomeaner arrest.

Thank goodness! Much easier and more sensible now.
    And they still do not need, should not be provided, and are not authorized by law to collect your social security number. You should leave this field blank on the form.

10. Absolutely correct. When I submitted my application, there was a question that asked if you had ever been arrested. You were required to list traffic offenses.

Much smoother now.

thanks for the info fellas, when I filled out the application it was the new one and did not have to provide any prior arrest or convictions, seems a lot easier now, well at the end of this month will be 90 days for me so I should know in a couple of weeks of the decision they made still keeping my fingers crossed

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast