non resident permit lie - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: non resident permit lie

Cath, you can also track the reciprocity you'll bump into on a trip by tracing your route Here. Check it out.
    NRA Life; GOA Life; CCRKBA Life; Trustee, NJCSD; F&AM: 32 & KT
    The Only Answer to a Bad Guy with a Gun - Is a Good Guy with a Gun!
    When Seconds Count...The Police are only MINUTES Away!

Quote Originally Posted by RON IN PA View Post
    I'm a NEWBY,, how do u get to/copy different state CCW laws,,??
    You can check this page from this site...

or

Handgunlaw.us

ok speaking of reiprocity i plan on a trip to Pa very soon. I will be traveling through Indiana, Ohio, West Virginia and into Pennsylvania. I Have a Kentucky resdent ccdw permit and have checked and all those states honor my permit. The question is this: according to the federal statutes concerning transportation of firearms through states it says that all firearms must be unloaded with the ammo and firearms stored in a seperate compartment or locked in a container seperate from the ammo ect. So how is one to carry concealed while traveling and still follow the federal laws? Seems to me that you are not allowed to cc while traveling but you can while stopped at any point along the way and once you reach your destination. It would seem that this could possibly put you in a bad situation if seen "arming" yourself while stopped by either an idividual citezen, read man with gun call to 911, a leo or god forbid a bg. Any help and advice?

You can travel with a CCW. The federal code comes into play when transporting a firearm through a state where you do not have a permit. Nothing stops you from traveling if your permit is honored in the states that you will be traveling through.

You only have to follow the rules under the Firearm Owners Protection Act if you want to be protected by it from state laws. If you are carrying with a valid permit honored by the states you are visiting, than you can carry handguns (rifles and shotguns should still be transported unloaded, in the trunk, etc. if you are passing through multiple jurisdictions). In that case, you are not violating any state laws to begin with.

The FOPA was meant so that you could travel with firearms without restriction from state to state. If you are traveling across state lines into a bordering state that honors your CCW permit, then you don't need to transport unloaded, cased, etc. However, if you are crossing, even temporarily, into a state that does not honor your permit, then you'd better have it unloaded, cased, and in the trunk if you want to avoid legal trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by crazycathed View Post
    a co worker just completed hid CCW class and was looking to get a non resident permit that is honored in alabama where his parents live. the instructor told him there's no state that honors a permit for a state where you don't live. if you go to a state with a non resident permit, even states that say is accepted, it wont be and you'll be arrested and jailed. what is the clarification on this?
    This instructor must be one of Tommy Chong's good buddies.

The only caveat with Alabama is the AG's opinion which is unofficial on non-resident CCWs.

I was pulled over in Bonneville County ID a few years ago, I was cut loose after they ran my non-resident Utah CFP. It was a fishing expedition. The ID AG and SP also clarified their FAQs on the issue so there should be no more confusion.

I was carrying three pistols on me when I was rear ended in Tukwila WA (about 20 minutes north of the Seatac airport) returning my rental car last August. I handed the responding officer my Utah CFP along with my NV CDL and my rental car agreement. He handed back my Utah CFP and kept the rest of the documents to complete the collision report. Apparently the WA LEOs are well aware of the RCW for reciprocity and what States are on it. Also keep in mind WA has been shall issue since 1961 so they're use to people packing there. It was no big deal for him I was carrying.

The only States which do not specifically honor non-resident CCWs by code, law or statute are CO, FL, MI, NH and SC.
    Know the law; don't ask, don't tell.
    NRA & UT Certified Instructor; CT, FL, NH, NV, OR, PA & UT CCW Holder
    Happy new 1984; 25 years behind schedule. Send lawyers, guns and money...the SHTF...

Quote Originally Posted by d-buck View Post
    ok speaking of reiprocity i plan on a trip to Pa very soon. I will be traveling through Indiana, Ohio, West Virginia and into Pennsylvania. I Have a Kentucky resdent ccdw permit and have checked and all those states honor my permit. The question is this: according to the federal statutes concerning transportation of firearms through states it says that all firearms must be unloaded with the ammo and firearms stored in a seperate compartment or locked in a container seperate from the ammo ect. So how is one to carry concealed while traveling and still follow the federal laws? Seems to me that you are not allowed to cc while traveling but you can while stopped at any point along the way and once you reach your destination. It would seem that this could possibly put you in a bad situation if seen "arming" yourself while stopped by either an idividual citezen, read man with gun call to 911, a leo or god forbid a bg. Any help and advice?
    The federal law comes into play when you cannot legally carry concealed or openly when crossing State lines. I'm perfectly legal on my Nevada CFP traveling into all bordering States except CA and OR since they don't honor my Nevada CFP.
    Know the law; don't ask, don't tell.
    NRA & UT Certified Instructor; CT, FL, NH, NV, OR, PA & UT CCW Holder
    Happy new 1984; 25 years behind schedule. Send lawyers, guns and money...the SHTF...

Thanks guys. I was thinking along those same lines but just wanted some clarification. Nice to know i can travel with a bit of peace of mind . Hope you all have a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    If you still want a PA license...go thru Centre County...He does the whole thing thru the mail.
    Denny Nau is the best. The strongest Second Amendment sheriff in Pa.

Is this question real??

This supposed instructor is not very well informed.

Either that or the "friend" misunderstood. Several references are provided above disputing this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast