non resident permit lie - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: non resident permit lie

1. Quote Originally Posted by crazycathed View Post
    a co worker just completed hid CCW class and was looking to get a non resident permit that is honored in alabama where his parents live. the instructor told him there's no state that honors a permit for a state where you don't live. if you go to a state with a non resident permit, even states that say is accepted, it wont be and you'll be arrested and jailed. what is the clarification on this?
    Here is the way I think it is in Montana. I would be interested in hearing from Montana members if I need to be corrected. Montana will recognize your out-of-state concealed carry permit if your are traveling through, based on recipriocity, however if you move to the state, you must have a Montana permit to carry concealed within the city limits. I have a Florida Concealed Carry Permit. Before moving here, while traveling through Montana, it was honored. After I moved here, I had to get a Montana permit. The problem with this, is that a person can look at a reciprocity map and it will indicate "yes, your Florida permit is honored" but the map doesn't clarify that it is only for non-residents who are traveling. Again, nobody put this in the bank. It could be wrong and I would like clarification from Montana members if I am confused.

Quote Originally Posted by MONTANA View Post
    Here is the way I think it is in Montana. I would be interested in hearing from Montana members if I need to be corrected. Montana will recognize your out-of-state concealed carry permit if your are traveling through, based on recipriocity, however if you move to the state, you must have a Montana permit to carry concealed within the city limits. I have a Florida Concealed Carry Permit. Before moving here, while traveling through Montana, it was honored. After I moved here, I had to get a Montana permit. The problem with this, is that a person can look at a reciprocity map and it will indicate "yes, your Florida permit is honored" but the map doesn't clarify that it is only for non-residents who are traveling. Again, nobody put this in the bank. It could be wrong and I would like clarification from Montana members if I am confused.
    Referring to the "Travelers Guide", I see nothing stating that MT residents must have MT permits in the city. What it DOES say is that "The state requires a license to carry a concealed weapon within the boundaries of most population centers." and that "Montana allows anyone to carry a concealed firearm when they are outside the boundary of a city, town, or logging camp."
    The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - Thomas Jefferson

4. Quote Originally Posted by utimmer43 View Post
    Referring to the "Travelers Guide", I see nothing stating that MT residents must have MT permits in the city. What it DOES say is that "The state requires a license to carry a concealed weapon within the boundaries of most population centers." and that "Montana allows anyone to carry a concealed firearm when they are outside the boundary of a city, town, or logging camp."
    Thank you for that clarification. I was also unable to find any documentation to support my belief that a resident of Montana must have a MONTANA concealed carry permit. I stand corrected unless someone else can site a specific Montana state law.

I haven't read all the posts here so this may already be posted but your instructor needs to do a bit more research. Many states acknowledge non-resident permits. Utah is recognized my as many as 33 states and issues to non-residents. There are, I think, 4 states that do not recognize non-resident. Colorado, Florida, New Hampshire and one of the Carolinas... I may be wrong on that one. Anyway, I'm in Idaho, taking my Utah permit class today. The only reason I'm not getting Idaho first is that Washington (right next door to me) doesn't recognize Idaho but does recognize Utah. Go figure.... The only reason I'll need to get my Idaho is to be able to carry in Colorado where much of my family lives. If Washington would recognize Idaho, I wouldn't need the Utah permit as Idaho is recognized in 26 states. Idaho and Texas also recognize all other state permits.

6. Fellows, the best bet is to try and get the information right from the state website on concealed carry, keeping in mind that the rules change day to day. In fact, when we take a driving vacation, we take our laptop and stay where there is WiFi coverage so that we can continue to check our route for changes.

We are headed to Nevada at the end of the month hopefully and they no longer recognize any of the half dozen permits we currently carry, so guess what? We are going to get a Nevada and an Arizona permit if we have the time to do so while we are there. Otherwise we will do so on our annual loooooong trip for sure.

After having a big revolver stuck in my face in Orlando, home of Mickey, I carry concealed everywhere that I am legally eligible to do so. Had the BG not been so high on drugs I do not believe I would be here today.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountaingoat61 View Post
    There are, I think, 4 states that do not recognize non-resident. Colorado, Florida, New Hampshire and one of the Carolinas... I may be wrong on that one.
    SC as well as MI. And altogether new to the world of reciprocity, ME also only recognizes resident permits (from DE, LA, and SD. Not sure how they came up with that list.)
    The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - Thomas Jefferson

Tucker's Mom, yes you are correct. In Switzerland there is no separate army, the people of Switzerland are their army.

Also note, if wholesale consfiscating guns actually did work to an apreciable degree, and I am not going to argue that it does, it would in theory work best in Australia and in the United Kingdom.

The United Kingdom is a series of Islands off of the northern coast of the European continent, their borders are all North Sea water. Even inspite of this, the drug trade is rampant. Criminals have no trouble getting a hold of guns. Home invasions are commanplace. Criminals don't care if you are home when they rob you, because if you hurt them, you are going to jail. (YES it's that screwed up.)

Australia is an entire continent under one national government and surrounded on all sides by water. Again, you cannot walk across the border into Australia, because their are no borders to walk across. Gun get banned, crime skyrockets. Home invasions occur at an alarming rate, this is a trend that the politicians can't explain, because they don't have a deffinition of what a home invasion is, or what the penalty should be. Yes, you read right, the politicians can't explain why the crime rate went way up after handguns were banned, because they don't know the deffinition of crime. Even Bill Clinton never had that level of chutzpah.

Two different countries, both geographically isolated more than most nations from outside influences, the guns get banned and the crime rate goes up. If it was going to work anywhere, you'd think Australia and the United Kingdom would be the places. And you would be wrong, because it dosn't work.

9. Regardless of what you read on this or any other website; the only information that you should take as valid is information from the state website itself; print it out and put it in a binder. In fact, print out TWO copies and put it in TWO binders; one to keep in your car and one to keep in your luggage. I would also take the time to read the regulations regarding concealed carry for the state to ensure you understand ALL the rules which are not neccesarily posted up front on the state website.

The internet is a great source of reference material but when it comes to the law I would make sure that I have a printout of the state's rendition of their law and I would double verify the rules while enroute.

Keep safe. Hide it well and never tell. The crime rate in Newcastle, England has skyrocketed so badly that police are refusing to attend potentially troublesome calls without backup in two man cars. Our friend, a police officer in Manchester has gone into the hardware business despite his love for policing... it has become a dangerous profession beyond their wildest dreams. Only the bad guys have guns. And plenty of them. Crimes that used to be committed in the darkness of night are now committed in broad daylight. And the response of city aldermen? To put in cameras and monitor the folks on the street. Sic.

Our family in the UK has been forced to move to remote locations to reduce their chances of being the object of criminal attack. They have installed alarm systems, automatic door locks, reinforced doors and windows, formed neighborhood associations and gated communities and even with all of that half of the family has moved to remote coastal villages for peace of mind (they are indeed lovely and the pubs and pub grub is amazing).

One does not stop in England to render assistance to a stranded motorist any longer and the cellphone business is booming.

All as a result of the gun ban. Speak to any cop and they will tell you emphatically (off the record) that the gun ban is making them look forward to early retirement, making their jobs more dangerous, skyrocketing the crime rates and so on. The bobby on the beat in the UK when asked discretely will state emphatically that he/she wishes that every home had a firearm in it and a trained user. Violent crime would plumment. Ditto Australia but I cannot speak to that from personal experience.

And the United Kingdom used to be such a civilized nation, Winston Churchill is rolling in his grave.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234