Documenting use of force. - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Documenting use of force.

1. Quote Originally Posted by billwot View Post
    Well, since this is your hypothetical scenario, you can include whatever elements you want.

But...once you have 1) demonstrated tht you are armed, and 2) are willing to use lethal force (you just shot and killed BG #1) and 3) you are still holding your weapon, (presumabley now pointed at BG #2) its pretty unlikely that BG #2 is going have the presence of mind, and take the time, to pick up BG#1's knife (or collect any other evidence)

He is either going to simply turn tail and run like hell, or surrender.

JMHO

bill
    Sigh...
    Quick to the gun, Sure of your grip. Quick to the threat, sure of your shot. - Chris Costa

Quote Originally Posted by ClearSightTactical View Post
    Sigh...
    These "what ifs" are tough, aren't they, CST? We just keep throwing our own variables and interpretations in the mix (I know I'm guilty of that...).

I guess my bottom-line response is: I take care of business as I see fit, hopefully my judgement is REAL good, and then hope for the best (weapons laying around, witnesses, etc.). If any of these things are absent, I'd guess I'm in for a legal fight, but at least I'm still alive. I don't see how it's possible to document everything, especially if it's a fast action, do-or-die situation. Also, if everything else is absent (no witnesses, no weapons) all I can hope for, I guess, is that the BG on the ground has a rap sheet a mile long and/or is an escaped convict!

So far as the cell phone, by the time I click all around and finally find the camera or video app, they're gonna be a few blocks away, anyway. You need something that takes less than a second to deploy.
    I have a voice activated digital recorder. I'd think a real-life narrative of the event would suffice for evidence of who robbed who. If I was going somewhere risky, it would definitely be on.

1. They have no criminal records - because they've never been caught.Matter a fact they're honor students :-D

Don't forget mama crying on the 6 O'Clock news telling the world what "good boys" they were.
    In the beginning, the patriot is a scarce man -- brave, hated, and scorned. But when his cause succeeds, the timid join him. For then, it costs nothing to be a patriot. -- Mark Twain

5. Quote Originally Posted by RugerP345 View Post

1. They have no criminal records - because they've never been caught.Matter a fact they're honor students :-D

Don't forget mama crying on the 6 O'Clock news telling the world what "good boys" they were.
    AND were on their way to their "Youth against gun violence" seminars...
    Quick to the gun, Sure of your grip. Quick to the threat, sure of your shot. - Chris Costa

6. Quote Originally Posted by JJFlash View Post
    These "what ifs" are tough, aren't they, CST? We just keep throwing our own variables and interpretations in the mix (I know I'm guilty of that...).

I guess my bottom-line response is: I take care of business as I see fit, hopefully my judgement is REAL good, and then hope for the best (weapons laying around, witnesses, etc.). If any of these things are absent, I'd guess I'm in for a legal fight, but at least I'm still alive. I don't see how it's possible to document everything, especially if it's a fast action, do-or-die situation. Also, if everything else is absent (no witnesses, no weapons) all I can hope for, I guess, is that the BG on the ground has a rap sheet a mile long and/or is an escaped convict!
    lol they are..

I'm just trying to say "YOU'RE SCREWED!" ie: all of these very bad circumstances exist no matter how unlikely...

Quote Originally Posted by RugerP345 View Post

Sh#t! See, I already forgot this...Who the hell did I just shoot, a couple Boy Scouts? I have never thought of taping any encounter, just never figured in to my training. Truth be told, I'm not gonna start carrying a video camera, so I'll just be taking my chances, I guess. Judged by 12 and carried by 6 and all that...

When the friend reaches down to pick up his friends knife you bust a cap in his arse. Really are you going to let him reach down and grab another weapon to attack you with and just stand there? When the police arrive there is going to be at least one knife left at the scene.

Depends a WHOLE LOT on where you are! I guess I am just spoiled by my Florida way of thinking because this is simply a no questions asked scenerio here.

I am in the garage late leaving work because there was no way to avoid it... WTF? I have NO responsibility to explain why I was leaving work late and if I could have avoided it to take that option. That is not a justification for someone to decide to rob me. In Florida legal terms, I am "in a place I have a right to be".

These two jerks approach and decide to rob me. This is called a forcible felony and already has authorized me to use deadly force to stop it, then they get testy and say their going to call the cops ... right on bro, you have my cell phone, go ahead and dial 911. But one decides to approach with a knife, no question on this ... shoot if you are in fear of your life.

I don't understand the question. In Florida there would not even be an arrest.

You stopped an armed robbery against your person in a place you had a right to be by using deadly force. Momma can whine what a good boy he was on the six o'clock but she can't sue you.

That is the law in Florida and it has been upheld multiple times now. It is what you must lobby to get in your state and every state.

Quote Originally Posted by JJFlash View Post
    Sh#t! See, I already forgot this...Who the hell did I just shoot, a couple Boy Scouts? I have never thought of taping any encounter, just never figured in to my training. Truth be told, I'm not gonna start carrying a video camera, so I'll just be taking my chances, I guess. Judged by 12 and carried by 6 and all that...

A tape recorder is as good an investment as a gun. I got a digital one from walMart that records for about 72 hours before being "full" and it was only about $50. Came with a cord I can plug it into my PC and save the file on my computer. If nothing happens after 72 hours, I can just delete the file and start over!

Like clearsite said, "They were making rounds for their Bible study class and approached you to ask for a donation for the orphanage. Mama says they were always "good kids" and had a butterfly collection and spent all their spare time volunteering at the old folks home helping with the chores. And the only reason they had that knife was for opening boxes of food where they volunteered at the food bank to help feed the homeless. You're a gun nut and you just pulled out your piece and blasted them for no reason."

BUT, Then there's the tape where they are heard yelling "Give me your money mother*#$#*!"

Makes a world of difference!
    In the beginning, the patriot is a scarce man -- brave, hated, and scorned. But when his cause succeeds, the timid join him. For then, it costs nothing to be a patriot. -- Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by JJFlash View Post
    +1. I have made this point several times re being the first to call 911. Frick that, let 'em put my record (Dad, husband, several degrees, working professional) up against BGs (job? rap sheet?). So, I robbed THEM? BS of the highest order.

I know that we must be aware of all the financial, legal, emotional issues concerned with using our firearms, but we simply cannot become immobilized or afraid to act because of what is a demonstrably f-up legal system.

Give 'em my wallet, keys, car, etc.? So, they know where I and my family live? Ain't gonna happen. What they are gonna get is LEAD. And I don't care who knows by virtue of the fact that I posted this on an open site.
    In a court, their record is not admissible because it would prejudice a jury. Maybe the DA or police will take it into consideration, but a jury will never hear their bad record and they will have lots of character testimony about church attendance, Scouts and choir practice.
    The people think the Second Amendment protects their rights;
    Government sees an obstacle to be over-come.
    NRA Life since 1966

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast