Trouble at the Movies - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Trouble at the Movies

Sound like you were dealing with a real idiot he didn't have all the facts but opened his mouth, such as your wife's problem with her eyes and his potential problem with lead poison . Good move on your part that was one he couldn't have one.

You did the right thing. As they say, sticks and stones... If he had been threatening you with a weapon then that would have been another story. The day we start shooting people for insulting us is the day we jeopardize our right to bear arms. Words will never kill us. Part of responsible carrying is knowing when to use restraint. Well done!

Sam
    You did the right thing. When you have a firearm on you, you have to hold yourself to a higher standard than just wanting to kick his ass. Good job.

5. <<< "Thanks, that makes me feel better, but I still regret the whole event." >>>

You have nothing to regret. How much would you regret it if you got up and ending up having to shoot the A--hole. You did right and I applaud you for it. If your son has any intelligence, I you being his father, I believe he does (I am judging you intelligence by your very intelligent action), he will understand.

[quoteThere are three types of men. Some learn by reading, a few learn by observation, and the rest have to piss on the electric fence to find out for themselves.. Will Rogers=ggtgary;104263][/quote]

Just a further reference to my post of several days ago. We all agree that the actions taken ended up Ok and were prudent. I only question whether, in dealing with a individual who obviously cannot control himself, you should even say anything in response to his comments---they may sound innocent as you say them, but in the heat of the moment, as you respond to this crazy person, one wrong word can set him off. If you just shrug and act meekly, and say nothing--you may be better off. Having said the above---"easier said than done".

You Definitely did the right thing! Your son and your wife know you're the better and much stronger man for handling the way you did. What the BG doesn't know is that you were carrying your 1911, cocked & locked, and he can be thankful he didn't escalate it any further.

8. No doubt that you did the right thing.
    In the world we live in now, two people step outside to "sort things out" and they are both considered criminals.
    Even without being armed, our society does not tolerate the defense of honor. While this seems more civilized superficially, society has replaced the ability to stand for common decency with ... nothing. So we are left with a hole (actually, a lot of them, this fellow you encountered being one of many) in the workings of everyday life; people do cruel, rude, threatening, insulting things to others daily in public life - we see it so much, it no longer shocks anyone.
    The greatest thing you ever teach your son may be how to sort a threat to honor and ego out from a threat to life and limb.

I have endured the same kind of scenario that you have here, and I second-guessed myself quite a bit.
    My thoughts after the fact: I wish I had put my cell phone in movie mode and filmed the fool sharing his IQ. This public performance could then have been shared with security, LE, the world via YouTube (great for his employer or parole officer to see), or just kept for evidence should he resurface later with ill intentions. Many idiots gain some self-control when they realize that they're on camera.

I'm willing to bet that you couldn't find a single person in that theater who thought poorly of you or sympathetic to that fool when all was said and done.

Good job!

I agree that you did the right thing. What if the other fellow had been armed? Isn't it better that your son not know if the other fellow was armed? Be glad that your wife doesn't know. Think of what could have resulted...not a pretty picture, imho. You did the right thing by diffusing the situation. The other fellow IS, but YOU are NOT a coward. You are a grown man acting in the best interest and safety of your family. Be glad that you are the better man, that you showed your son how it's done! Good job!

the utmost restraint is the #1 rule in any situation such as this. You must not allow anyone to "goad" you into a fight. That speaks more about you to ignore his challenge, (as your son would view it) than to act like a schoolyard toughboy like the other guy. Good judgement in my book .......

Just read this and, as everyone is saying, you absolutely did the right and proper thing, and your wife and son should be proud. That jackass wanted a fight and you didn't give him one. You didn't let him walk all over your family, you challenged him, and then you stayed in control and saved his life by not rising to his childishness. You saved your wife and son from having to watch you kill a man, not to mention all the other patrons, you saved the cinema owner from having to deal with the aftermath of a shooting, you saved the cops from having to come down and draw a line around the guy instead of being out doing something useful, and you saved you and your family a ton of grief that would have come from helping along the initiation of a fight and having to shoot someone.

Next week he'll get his ass kicked by somebody with less restraint than you, and they can deal with the consequences, next year he'll be in jail or an early grave of his own making. You win. And I'm sure you son knows that. If not, talk to him about it.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast