This ALMOST happened to me
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: This ALMOST happened to me

1. This ALMOST happened to me

and it disturbs me greatly, I am still trying to figure out what I should of done, IF I WAS THERE.

A pair of cyclist, whom I frequently ride with had this happen. I just happened not to be able to ride with them that day. I'm a CCW permit holder and keep a PM-9 in my handlebar bag while cycling.

My two friends were riding in a rural area when an SUV rushed in front of them and cut them off turning into a driveway. One of the cyclist made a comment in nature of "You think the jerk could of waited for us to go 10 feet and be out of the way" I don't know if any stronger langauge was involved. The driver took umbrage to this comment and chased the cyclist, cutting across the yard to do so and forced them off the road. He exits the car brandishing a slapjack. The cyclist who made the comment pulls out a cell phone and calls 911. Meanwhile the slapjack weilding driver approaches and knocks the cell phone out of the cyclist hands and also knocking his glasses off. Meanwhile there was a passenger in the car yelling "Johnny, get the hell back in the car." Heated words where exchanged until the police arrived. There was no serious injuries.

If you were on a bike accompaning these to cyclist, and armed, what would you have done.

Nothing to do with the question, just for the curious, the driver was eventually found guilty in muni court of misdemeaner assault. He was not initially charged, it took the whole local bike community raising hell with the authorities to get something done. This was helped by an independant witness who drove by, stopped, and saw most of it. I also discovered later that the driver had mob connections or at least did in the past. I imagine the publicity didn't make his bosses very happy.

“There are three types of men. Some learn by reading, a few learn by observation, and the rest have to piss on the electric fence to find out for themselves.” --- Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by ggtgary View Post
    ... I am still trying to figure out what I should of done, IF I WAS THERE.

“There are three types of men. Some learn by reading, a few learn by observation, and the rest have to piss on the electric fence to find out for themselves.” --- Will Rogers
    Well, I'll tell you what you should NOT have done. Based on the info provided, this definitely was NOT a situation that would justify deadly force. Pulling your weapon would have been a big mistake.

Perhaps going to assist your friend WITHOUT a gun would have been appropriate.

bill

4. Really? Don't draw? I suppose it really depends on how threatening the situation is but from reading it if the guy swung a heavy object at my head I think someone drawing would be appropriate. That seems like self-defense to me

5. Quote Originally Posted by billwot View Post
    Well, I'll tell you what you should NOT have done. Based on the info provided, this definitely was NOT a situation that would justify deadly force. Pulling your weapon would have been a big mistake.

Perhaps going to assist your friend WITHOUT a gun would have been appropriate.

bill
    Why is this not a deadly force situation? The guy had a slap jack...that can cause serious injury including death. He even hit the guy in the face (it knocked off his glasses...)

if someone came at me or mine with it he'd have a gun in his face...

Slap jack

Black Leather Slap Jack Genuine black leather slap jack. It contains lead in the end for striking power! 11" overall.
    Quick to the gun, Sure of your grip. Quick to the threat, sure of your shot. - Chris Costa

Quote Originally Posted by ClearSightTactical View Post
    Why is this not a deadly force situation? .
    "Heated words where exchanged until the police arrived. There was no serious injuries."

JMHO

7. Quote Originally Posted by billwot View Post
    "Heated words where exchanged until the police arrived. There was no serious injuries."

JMHO
    did you miss the part of:

He exits the car brandishing a slapjack. The cyclist who made the comment pulls out a cell phone and calls 911. Meanwhile the slapjack weilding driver approaches and knocks the cell phone out of the cyclist hands and also knocking his glasses off.
    You're making the assessment after the fact. Someone approaching in an aggressive manner with a deadly weapon is a threat, and should be treated as one...
    Quick to the gun, Sure of your grip. Quick to the threat, sure of your shot. - Chris Costa

8. <<< "Heated words where exchanged until the police arrived. There was no serious injuries."" >>>

That as why I am conflicted and I posted this. As it turned out, it was not a bad ending. However, it is not known before hand what that guy is going to do with the blackjack.

9. I really think you would have needed to be there to assess how the person with the slapjack was handling that weapon and whether he was being threatening, approaching closely, etc. I still think that drawing wouldn't have been out of the question -- by the time he hits you with that slapjack its going to be too late to try and draw.

I agree 20/20 hindsight says the situation ended ok, but if someone is approaching me swinging a blackjack in the direction of my head, I call that fear for my life a justifiable "deadly force" self-defense incident.

What exactly would I, or you have done ... more 20/20 hindsight so why speculate.

11. Quote Originally Posted by 2beararms View Post
    I agree 20/20 hindsight says the situation ended ok, but if someone is approaching me swinging a blackjack in the direction of my head, I call that fear for my life a justifiable "deadly force" self-defense incident.

What exactly would I, or you have done ... more 20/20 hindsight so why speculate.
    Agreed
    Slow is Steady
    Steady is Fast

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast