To Chamber or Not to Chamber? - Page 11
Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: To Chamber or Not to Chamber?

1. Quote Originally Posted by gunsite View Post
    Can you describe that defensive situation...

I can describe several, why?
    Sam Ragsdale
    AGCM(AW/SW) USN-Ret

NRA Life Member

3. Quote Originally Posted by drjavelina View Post
    I can describe several, why?

I wondering how you see yourself in a SITUATION to where your assessment would be the need to draw so fast there was no time to rack. Keep in mind i don't advocate carrying a non-chambered weapon, so i'm not trying to prove why its better to carry a non-chamber weapon, that's not what i advocate.

i think everyone would like to hear the situation, and then, we can all listen to everyones opinions about reactions. Excluding your LE, body-guarding, security force, or military, but a situation that may occur as a private citizen with a CCW. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gunsite View Post
    I wondering how you see yourself in a SITUATION to where your assessment would be the need to draw so fast there was no time to rack. Keep in mind i don't advocate carrying a non-chambered weapon, so i'm not trying to prove why its better to carry a non-chamber weapon, that's not what i advocate.

i think everyone would like to hear the situation, and then, we can all listen to everyones opinions about reactions. Excluding your LE, body-guarding, security force, or military, but a situation that may occur as a private citizen with a CCW. Thanks
    1) The BG already has a gun pointed at you.

2) You've already been shot and are too weak from shock to rack the slide.

Another question, since when did CCW become the way to describe all citizens that carry a firearm for protection?

My personal preference... PHANTOM deep concealment holster... condition 1

I think it is safe to say that the population differs across the board... But it seems to mostly come down to comfort level. Comfort and confidence is something that everyone needs to work on and develop. I personally carry a 1911 "cocked and locked". If your sidearm is needed, I want to take full advantage of each precious second you will have in a confrontation. You will not be the one initiating the attack, so swift reaction is of the utmost importance.

Someone speculated the chance of you getting shot in the arm and not being able to rack the slide... I am more concerned about getting mortally wounded without enough time to react. At that point you have failed at protecting yourself and others which is the whole reason for concealed carry.

Carrying concealed safely comes down to a combination of training, equipment, situational awareness, and readiness. All come with time and experience. Bottomline is any firearm is only as safe as the handler. So I say to everyone, keep training and education yourselves. The time may come when it will pay you back "ten fold".
    "Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." -- Mark Twain

7. Quote Originally Posted by Unfettered Might View Post
    1) The BG already has a gun pointed at you.

2) You've already been shot and are too weak from shock to rack the slide.

Another question, since when did CCW become the way to describe all citizens that carry a firearm for protection?
    Thanks for stating your opinion, but i want to make sure i understand your answer.... your saying you carry one in the chamber because, IF THE BAD GUY IS POINTING A GUN AT YOU, YOU GOING TO NEED A FAST DRAW WITHOUT WASTING TIME RACKING YOUR WEAPON, i assume also that you mean you don't want an extra move that may cause you to fumble your weapon, you want to just reach, draw, shoot.

You stated that if your shot, you may be to weak to rack your weapon, so i assume you also carry a chambered weapon SO IF YOUR SHOT AND TO WEAK TO RACK THE SLIDE, YOU WANT TO BE ABLE TO DRAW YOUR WEAPON AND JUST PULL THE TRIGGER.

Majority of carry permits/Laws are CCW, NOT OCW.

8. This my friends is the answer to this on-going debate:

It is a personal preference: wow, I just solved this problem :-D

I can think of many reasons that chambered is better than not, and you can think of many reasons why unchambered is better than chambered.

We will have to use our training, our experiences, and our comfort level to guide us to the right decision for us.

OK. A novice but learning fast. I can not understand why you would carry and not have one chambered. (that is for except a 1911. more about that later) There are so many great guns out there with redundant safety features. The long pull of a revolver and other da/dao semi auto. There are da's with and decocking lever which you can carry like a 1911 or for extra safety with hammer down and safety on where first pull is DA.
    As far as the 1911 since I am a novice and need more time with this type of gun my concern is that having it cocked and locked that in the stress of a situation of having to present the gun that after taking the safety off I might end up shooting a bit before I actually want to. (Yes I know, just keep your finger off the trigger)
    On the other hand it is sure easier to hit your target with just that light trigger pull.
    So for me it is about getting more comfy with condition one ( I will be working on that because I see that as the optimal for self defense with a 1911.
    Just my $.02

Thanks for stating your opinion, but i want to make sure i understand your answer.... your saying you carry one in the chamber because, IF THE BAD GUY IS POINTING A GUN AT YOU, YOU GOING TO NEED A FAST DRAW WITHOUT WASTING TIME RACKING YOUR WEAPON, i assume also that you mean you don't want an extra move that may cause you to fumble your weapon, you want to just reach, draw, shoot.
    Correct, if given a split second chance by the BG's inattention, it takes too long to pull, rack and fire vs just pull and fire.

You stated that if your shot, you may be to weak to rack your weapon, so i assume you also carry a chambered weapon SO IF YOUR SHOT AND TO WEAK TO RACK THE SLIDE, YOU WANT TO BE ABLE TO DRAW YOUR WEAPON AND JUST PULL THE TRIGGER.
    Correct.

Majority of carry permits/Laws are CCW, NOT OCW.
    Incorrect

Gold Star Open Carry - Generally preempted open carry permitted on foot and in vehicles without a license; localities generally preempted.
    Alaska, Arizona, Idaho, Kentucky, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, North Carolina, South Dakota, Vermont, Virginia, Wyoming

Open Carry Friendly - Open carry permitted by state law without license, but either lacks preemption or does not allow unlicensed open carry inside a vehicle
    Alabama, Colorado, Delaware, Kansas, Louisiana, Maine, Michigan, Missouri, Nebraska, New Hampshire, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin

Licensed Open Carry - Generally preempted open carry permitted on foot and in vehicles with a license; localities generally preempted.
    Connecticut, Georgia, Hawaii, Indiana, Iowa, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Mississippi, New Jersey, North Dakota, Tennessee, Utah

Non Permissive - Open carry highly restricted or banned
    Arkansas, Florida, Illinois, New York, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Texas

Rual Open Carry - Open Carry Generally Allowed in Non-Incorporated Areas
    California

Looks like only 8 states that actually forbid OC, 42 others that allow either with a license or no license at all. 2 states are unrestricted on CC.
    12 states that are unrestricted on OC

5 states that forbid OC are shall issue states for CC, the other 3 are may issue and as far as I'm concerned may issue is too easy to not issue.

So where did you get your data that the majority of gun carry laws are pro CC? My data seems to suggest otherwise.

11. Disagree. Each situation is different. Here is my earlier post:

Reasons to carry with one in the chamber? Let me give you one example. You are in Orlando and stopped at a traffic light. Some guy bumps into you from behind, gets out of his car and walks up to your window. You are carrying but its on your strong side, there is nothing in the chamber and you are wearing your seatbelt to boot. No big deal right? Wrong. This guy gets to your window, hauls out a single action what looks like a Colt 45 and cocks the trigger while putting the business end in your face and telling you to get out of the car; no stay in the car; do you have money; do you have drugs; where are you going; do you have money? Etc. Get the picture? And his gun is all over the place. Up in the air... pointing downtown, etc. You try and pull your gun to defend yourself and you are a dead man. And your family is with you... what do you think their odds of survival are?

YOU DO NOT have time to chamber a round.

And how do I know? I am that guy in the car. And that was the experience that made me decide to carry whenever it was legal for me to do so. I did not even have a gun on me that day. As it turned out, the guy started retching, the light turned green and I floored it... leaving him in a cloud of dust at the entrance to the home of Mickey and gave thanks for a year that he did not open up on us with that huge huge .45. I have got to assume that any whacko carrying a single action .45 in chrome has either stolen it or owns it and is a desperately good shot. I'm just glad I never had to find out.

Now. Go out and make your decision. It's been five years and I'm still working on it.

Sometimes there is plenty of time to rack and fire; in my situation above it would have been one between the eyes that prevented me from racking as I attempted to do so. My PREFERENCE is to carry "hot" but not at the expense of personal safety or comfort. So, to my total posts I repeat.... it is a matter of your level of safety awareness and comfort. What are you wearing? What are you doing? Where are you located? Etc. Each has a bearing on how and what you are carrying I believe. The decision is an easy one. ALWAYS carry when legal to do so. The decision is a tough one. How and what am I going to carry today? (And keep in mind you don't want to jumble the mix up too much).

Like I say, five years and I'm still working on it.

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast