To Chamber or Not to Chamber? - Page 13
Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: To Chamber or Not to Chamber?

Quote Originally Posted by torontogunguy View Post
    If you have an understanding that a semiautomatic pistol that has no grip safety, no thumb safety but simply a split trigger is as safe as the aforementioned with GRIP and THUMB safeties then you are sadly mistaken. I carry my Glocks, begrudgingly at the moment, with NY1 triggers and hot. Why? Because it's the right thing to do for personal safety. I also carry them in premium holsters to prevent any mishaps with the trigger.

Revolvers are inherently safer as if the cylinder does not turn it will not fire. Right? So unless you are carrying your revolver cocked it's a whole lot safer than your Glock.

I guess what I am trying to say is simply that keeping your trigger finger off the trigger is not the be-all and end-all of firearm safety when carrying, especially concealed. There are many more factors to consider.

I think I am getting tired enough of the armchair quarterbacks on this thread to stop banging my head against the wall by reading it. There seem to be a whole lot of 'trainers', experts and the like popping out of the woodworks whom have read a book or watched a DVD.

Out of curiousity, how many participate in IPSC/IDPA for live fire practice on the range? I thought so.

It gets so scarey listening to some of the posts in these threads that one almost wants to run out and say to heck with the second amendment.... time for some serious gun control. Too many running around with firearms that should not be.

Get some training. Do some research. Think about the matter at hand and then and only then take the time to make an educated decision.... if you are smart you will realize that not all situations are the same, not all guns are the same and not all comfort levels are the same. Not all gun owners are prepared to do more than plunk down their money for the gun and license and start shooting away. It is a pity because, having seen the results of poor training and poor habits I have been playing with this matter for five years now. That does NOT mean that I don't carry when legal to do so. It simply means that I have not reached the end of my education and come to a firm decision.

What do you use?
    I carry a Glock 26 or Glock 30 with ported barrel and NY1 triggers when carrying OWB in a very solid and reliable holster. I prefer to carry a Sig P239 for the 8# first pull and 3# pulls thereafter. No safety - a decocker. The Glocks are, as far as I am concerned, cocked and unlocked as soon as you put one into the chamber. My HK P7M8 is a wonderful semi... a squeeze cocker and I would be happy to carry it down my underpants without a holster anytime. It is an ultra safe 9mm and has an inline barrel to boot. I had custom leather made for it so that I can carry IWB or OWB. If it was feasible for me I would carry a snubbie at times as well - safe as heck. Like I said, the cylinder doesn't turn the gun isn't going to fire. Period. So it would go into a really good leather holster. And as for 1911's - I love them. Ditto the Springfield XD45. Grip safeties. Thumb safeties. They have their place when their size is considered.

You can go nuts trying to figure this all out.
    To answer your question, I carry a Taurus PT-92 9MM in an OWB Safariland retention holster in condition 1.

Revolvers are NOT any safer than my semi set for DA on the first shot, I'd like to see you explain otherwise.

No one needs to participate in IPSC/IDPA to become a capable shooter.

People ask questions and I provide answers to the best of my knowledge.

I DO train, the money going out of my bank account every month on ammo is proof.

I DO research, countless hours upon hours I have devoted to it.

I DO benefit from two friends who were in the army and their training, not a DVD.

Not all of us who express our opinions are unqualified to do so.

Hey gunsite, you go check out that site that shows all the states that allow OPEN CARRY?

Or did you just decide to ignore that because it would force you to admit you were wrong about something?

You need to come off your high horse there bud.

Quote Originally Posted by gunsite View Post
    Hollie1, Don't take it so personal, i wouldn't know you if i was standing next to you, and i don't see the need for you to defend, or legitimize yourself, all i did was make a statement. I really don't care how good or bad you are, or how much training/experience you have, if... and when i post, just take it for what its worth.

REALLY...
    If i was to ask people on the internet what they know and what they can do... they would sound like their a combination of JEFF COOPER, AUDIE MURPHY, and BRUCE LEE. come on...haha

EVERYONE LIES... i never try to impress people by what i can do, done, or know... i just want to impress upon them the need for training. I'd just like people to stop and think for one minute, and then pursue the thought on their own base on my opinion if they choose to. Good Luck to you... stay safe.
    I for one Don't Lie! You quoted my statement in your reply! You could have quite simply made an over all statement to everyone on this board! Not just to ME! Thats what Annoyed ME! I can't stand those who Think they know it all! When in fact they are the ones who know the LEAST!
    My frist statement if we carry one in the chamber or not! I answered that & gave my reasons why! I felt it was important to me to carry chambered! Others have listed their feelings & reasons. Theirs are valid for them!
    I'm a strong believer in listening or in this case reading all sides! Thou some I may not agree with I would NOT have pulled their Quote to comment to! Most likely I would have private e-mailed,or posted a question or 2 to them them so I could better understand what their thought & reasons were! Has to my shooting,I wanted to make YOU aware that I can do more than just hold a weapon and shoot! Isn't that basicly what you were telling me I needed to learn?
    How to draw,fire,hit my target! The only time someone will know if they have to actually shoot someone is if they are faced with it! I HOPE & PRAY I don't ever have too be in that situation! But then don't we ALL!!

I always carry with my G23 chambered. Saves time and may save a life. But it does depend on your comfort level and most importantly SKILL Level with the fiream carried. When CC make sure your comfort level is at maximum and do not carry more gun that you can handle.
    Non Timebo Mala

6. Quote Originally Posted by hollie1 View Post
    I for one Don't Lie! You quoted my statement in your reply! You could have quite simply made an over all statement to everyone on this board! Not just to ME! Thats what Annoyed ME! I can't stand those who Think they know it all! When in fact they are the ones who know the LEAST!
    My frist statement if we carry one in the chamber or not! I answered that & gave my reasons why! I felt it was important to me to carry chambered! Others have listed their feelings & reasons. Theirs are valid for them!
    I'm a strong believer in listening or in this case reading all sides! Thou some I may not agree with I would NOT have pulled their Quote to comment to! Most likely I would have private e-mailed,or posted a question or 2 to them them so I could better understand what their thought & reasons were! Has to my shooting,I wanted to make YOU aware that I can do more than just hold a weapon and shoot! Isn't that basicly what you were telling me I needed to learn?
    How to draw,fire,hit my target! The only time someone will know if they have to actually shoot someone is if they are faced with it! I HOPE & PRAY I don't ever have too be in that situation! But then don't we ALL!!
    You don't lie... never... ever, not even on your tax return... haha.

Would you tell a lie in order to protect the truth... lol

7. Isn't that the main purpose of a lie?

8. Quote Originally Posted by Unfettered Might View Post
    To answer your question, I carry a Taurus PT-92 9MM in an OWB Safariland retention holster in condition 1.

Revolvers are NOT any safer than my semi set for DA on the first shot, I'd like to see you explain otherwise.

No one needs to participate in IPSC/IDPA to become a capable shooter.

People ask questions and I provide answers to the best of my knowledge.

I DO train, the money going out of my bank account every month on ammo is proof.

I DO research, countless hours upon hours I have devoted to it.

I DO benefit from two friends who were in the army and their training, not a DVD.

Not all of us who express our opinions are unqualified to do so.
    OK. Let me educate you.
    TAURUS PT92: Double Action/Single Action pistol? Means first shot is probably about 8# and thereafter about 3#. GREAT! Better than the revolver as your shots after #1 are all in the 3# range and going to likely be more accurate or at least easier to let off. It is a copy of the Beretta 92 series and likely has a decocker unless it is one of the original clunkers. GREAT! (Remember I said I loved my Sig P239... same deal...Hopefully your PT92 has a a safety and/or perhaps a decocker so the first shot is 8# and 3.5# thereafter until ready to reholster and then decock it and reholster.) It is indeed a safer gun than many and questionably not quite as safe as a revolver, especially a DA only revolver, the main point being that the revolver simply is NOT going to fire if that cylinder does not turn, no matter how hard you pull on the trigger. Put the revolver into a good leather holster and you are safe as safe can be. If that PT92 (I have one of those around here in the safe somewhere) has a safety AND decocker combo I would have to agree that it is as safe or safer than a revolver being carried concealed.

Like I said... five years and still trying to sort it all out.

You train the way you wish... I will train the way I wish. I can say for an absolute fact that standing at a bench or standing in a field and popping beer cans off a rock or shooting at a target is simply NOT going to give you the skills you want in order to win a gun fight. Think movement and cover in addition to accuracy and safety. I have the first three covered. It's the forth one, safety, that I am struggling with.

Whatever we do, let's stay safe out there.

BTW, you may rest assured that simply being army does not give you all the skills you should have in a nose to nose pistol fight from concealment.

I am just getting involved with this post and don't care to wade through 13 pages of posts !

All I am going to say are three things ......

I always carry with one in the chamber, if you don't like that get over it !

If you are shooting an Auto, get one that has a firing pin block, like my PX4 Storm or like one that is found on a Bersa .380

And last ..... if you carry a revolver you are always running with one in the chamber, unless you set it up on an empty cylinder hole, but WTF would you do that, unless again you have a real old pistol, then again you need to update you S H I T.

OK. Let me educate you.
    TAURUS PT92: Double Action/Single Action pistol? Means first shot is probably about 8# and thereafter about 3#. GREAT! Better than the revolver as your shots after #1 are all in the 3# range and going to likely be more accurate or at least easier to let off. It is a copy of the Beretta 92 series and likely has a decocker unless it is one of the original clunkers. GREAT! (Remember I said I loved my Sig P239... same deal...Hopefully your PT92 has a a safety and/or perhaps a decocker so the first shot is 8# and 3.5# thereafter until ready to reholster and then decock it and reholster.) It is indeed a safer gun than many and questionably not quite as safe as a revolver, especially a DA only revolver, the main point being that the revolver simply is NOT going to fire if that cylinder does not turn, no matter how hard you pull on the trigger. Put the revolver into a good leather holster and you are safe as safe can be. If that PT92 (I have one of those around here in the safe somewhere) has a safety AND decocker combo I would have to agree that it is as safe or safer than a revolver being carried concealed.

Like I said... five years and still trying to sort it all out.
    Yep, that's the one. I had an older 92 model for a while and then upgraded to the newer stainless version. Odd thing about the old decocker, when it was triggered in the down position, it stayed there instead of springing back up like my new one does. I just figured it was broken since I bought it second hand. They both had safeties on them. Yeah, Taurus bought the old plants down in Brazil and used the old tooling, it's nearly exactly the same design as the Beretta, except of course, for the decocker mounting locations. I for one prefer the frame mount.

I'm not sure about the cylinder friction against the leather argument. I mean with the mechanical advantage of the trigger mechanism, I'm not so certain that it would make any difference. I'll try it out the next time I have a revolver in my hands.

You train the way you wish... I will train the way I wish. I can say for an absolute fact that standing at a bench or standing in a field and popping beer cans off a rock or shooting at a target is simply NOT going to give you the skills you want in order to win a gun fight. Think movement and cover in addition to accuracy and safety. I have the first three covered. It's the forth one, safety, that I am struggling with.

Whatever we do, let's stay safe out there.

BTW, you may rest assured that simply being army does not give you all the skills you should have in a nose to nose pistol fight from concealment.
    We play out scenarios as well, using paintball and airsoft.

I would concur with you, just standing and "plinking" at targets isn't going to teach you to aim during a scramble and we practice live fire with multiple targets and movement and cover tactics.

Nothing ever assures your are fully ready for an actual encounter except experience with actual encounters. We can only practice as hard as possible and hope the muscle memory clicks when we need it too.

11. Quote Originally Posted by Socket View Post
    What are pros and cons to CC with 1 in the Chamber?
    I suppose if you are one of the best at the "run and gun" competitions then it might be OK to not carry one in the chamber as you will be quick enough to load as you are a skilled competitor that shoots 1,000's of rounds each week. For the rest of us want-to-be's, I would think one in the chamber is the way to go. Personally, I'm not as quick and agile as I was 10-years ago and those added few seconds might determine if I make it to happy our or not.

Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast