To Chamber or Not to Chamber? - Page 15
Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: To Chamber or Not to Chamber?

1. Agreed on the uncanny ability of some women to handle their firearm with no previous exposure. My wife and Mom were reluctant to take the CC cournse when we hired someone to come in New Year's Eve Day 2009 to conduct the class. During the range time they were BY FAR the best shots. Tight pattern of about six inches. I picked up a couple of pink tee shirts at a gun show a few weeks later with a target with a tight pattern shown on it and the caption of "shoot like a girl.... if you can!". They got a good laugh.

Neal

handgonnetoter Guest
    For me it comes down to what type of gun I am carrying. Years ago I used to buy a good handgun, but then go cheap on the holster. Stupid. I was always afraid to carry the G26 with a round in the chamber because of the flimsy holster. I corrected that. I used to feel a little nervous about shooting myself in the leg or butt, but that is just dumb to think that as long as I holstered the gun properly. The ones I own were built with firing pin blocks and safeties for a reason, so I use them the way they were engineered to be used. I practice with them the way I am supposed to so that I can use them without really thinking much about it - I just do it because I have done it so much it has become instinct. We should do as we feel comfortable, but I was practicing once trying to quickly draw and rack a round in the chamber and I was amazed at how many times I would "slip" and not rack the round. (Snap caps) Just my two pennies worth.

With my S&W Sigma i can carry one in the chamber confidently because the trigger pull is in excess of 10 pounds and thats not going to be accidentally pressed in almost any situation but i can understand how it might make you us-easy to do something like that with a gun that has a 5 pound trigger pull.

Not having 1 in the chamber can be effective if someone gets your weapon and you don't have to worry about them immediately shooting you but since most attacks happen at an arms length you will want to be prepared.

handgonnetoter Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by 901-Memphis View Post
    With my S&W Sigma i can carry one in the chamber confidently because the trigger pull is in excess of 10 pounds and thats not going to be accidentally pressed in almost any situation but i can understand how it might make you us-easy to do something like that with a gun that has a 5 pound trigger pull.

Not having 1 in the chamber can be effective if someone gets your weapon and you don't have to worry about them immediately shooting you but since most attacks happen at an arms length you will want to be prepared.
    Agreed. There are so many scenarios that can happen, very quickly, I think we are kinda chasing our tails trying to figure out who is right and who is wrong on this topic. I'll carry the way it makes me comfortable and leave the rest up to God to decide.

In the military I have seen too many Accidental or Negligent shootings here is one reason why you should not carry with one in the chamber.
    http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=393304

Stuff like that makes me glad to have a heavy trigger pull on my gun. It sucks at the range but makes it safer for me to keep it +1 .

As i have said before if i was carrying something like a Glock with a much lighter trigger it would be a tough decision.

Not that I'm by any means an expert, except that qual thing in the Navy, but I don't remember ever reading about a 1911 MOD1 ever discharging while cocked & locked. Please enlighten me if you find anything.

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

handgonnetoter Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mappow View Post
    Not that I'm by any means an expert, except that qual thing in the Navy, but I don't remember ever reading about a 1911 MOD1 ever discharging while cocked & locked. Please enlighten me if you find anything.

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)
    Me too, but in the Marines - we are cousins. Anyway, the only accidental discharge I recall is one where the guy next to me on the firing line, drops his series 70 (what we all had) 1911A1, and it goes off and sent the round between us and behind! Guys back there crapped their pants and he spent the next few hours bending and thrusting.

10. I tend to be happiest with my Glocks with the NY1 triggers in them (it is an easy mod) so that the trigger pull is 8# I believe. Next in line, I would have to say, is my Sig P239. First trigger pull is something like 8.5# and subsequent pulls are about 3.5# I think. (Can't be bothered to look it up). But you get the idea.

If you are squeemish about carrying hot then try the universal cocked and locked experiment; no round in the chamber but cocked and locked (whatever you are using); carry like that for a month and see if you have anything even closely resembling an 'incident'.

I can tell you for a fact that having one in the chamber is no longer a decision for me in any way, shape or form. We (my family and I) were accosted by a sky high druggie at a traffic light with a huge revolver and I had nowhere to hide. Unfortunately I was not carrying at the time (never again where legal) but had I been carrying there is NO WAY IN THE WORLD that I could have racked a semiautomatic and got the drop on the beast. A revolver? Yep, maybe so. So I decided that I would go for the best of both worlds and carry a semiautomatic with a slightly heavier trigger pull, especially on the first round fired. Or a semi with a triple safety (Glock does NOT have a triple safety guys)... I'm talking (1) a thumb safety, and (2) a grip safety, and (3) a trigger guard and good holster for safety. THAT is safety.....

I still love my Glocks but they take special handling as if that trigger gets twitched it goes bang. They are by far the most reliable handguns I own and by far the most dangerous handguns I own. Treat them with respect and care and you will not have a problem. Weigh the benefits against the potential threat and your decision should be obvious.

I am still pondering guys. Still pondering. But one thing I know for an absolute fact. An absolute truth. Your life will one day depend on having one in the chamber and the gun hot.

Oh.... the guy with the revolver and I am unarmed? I just waited until the traffic cleared and he teetered a bit and I hit the pedal to the metal and left him in a cloud of dust hoping that he would not start shooting. He did not.

I now avoid states that will not let me carry concealed like the plague. And living in Canada I am only a few very short years away from full retirement and we are already buying property down south as our base of operations once the kids are ensconced in college and we are fully retired and with motorhome. I just wish that as a U.S. citizen that we were one of "We the People" everywhere but apparently that is not so in several states. Those states we avoid like the plague and include New York, New Jersey, Illinois, Florida and others. If you do not recognize my several concealed carry permits (and I should not require ANY permit) then you do not want my presence nor my tourist dollars nor my resident dollars.

Funny thing is that we are planning on moving to Florida for strictly economic reasons (cheap for the kids to fly down) and hope that the BP oil thing doesn't screw things up for us too much.

And where did I get gun in the nose? Orlando, Florida... broad daylight... home of Mickey. Phoooey. Think they've change the rules as of late and the new statute has a preamble that now states that the definition of a resident is a citizen. That would be me.

In any event, I digress. I hate carrying one in the chamber and hot but it is a necessary evil. Just choose your gun wisely and carry it safely. Revolvers, BTW, are a whole nother story guys... cylinder doesn't revolve cuz your holster is tight you have no issues with AD/ND's, right? And if you want to be really safe if your revolver does not have a firing pin blocking plate then simply carry one less round with the hammer down on an empty hole. Simple.

At home, the gun is filled to the brim with one in the chamber and ready to go. It has the best of night sights and the strongest available gunlight under the barrel so I don't shoot the dog. I also carry the brightest available flashlight to misdirect return fire (mind, after the first round is fired you are going to get lead coming at the muzzle flash anyway). Our alarm is set to light up the downstairs like daylight when tripped to blind the perps and we have (need to replace it actually) a 3 million candlepower battery operated spotlight by the bed as well. One brief shot of that in the face of a perp coming in from the dark and he'll be blinking while being made into swiss cheese. Just make sure the splatter is on the INSIDE of the house and not on the porch.

And make sure YOU get the first accurate shot away. Better yet, make sure that you get several first shots away!

Last but not least... if you REALLY want safe and don't mind 9mm and 8 round capacity, take a look at the HK P7 series (I have a P7M8 and a P7PSP) ... they are squeeze cockers and are the safest and fastest semiauto's on the market but are very expensive and very hard to find these days. I would be comfy carrying one in my pocket with one in the chamber and zero holster. It just will not fire until you squeeze the grip to cock it. I love it except for the weight, except for it being 9 mm and having an 8 round capacity. Pity nobody else has come out with the same concept in polymer/stainless and double stack to at least ten rounds. This thing is all inline too by the way and it is 8 shots in a 25 cent piece sized hole at 25 feet. With your eyes closed (just kidding about the eyes).

Above all - remember that it is a nasty, mean, ignorant, sick in the head, beastly world out there and when the chips are down it is you and only you that will need to protect both yourself and your loved ones. Be prepared to do so and get yourself trained and well practiced so that it is reflexive. And choose your weapon wisely. Your life WILL one day depend on it; of that I can absolutely assure you. We have been held up, accosted, two home invasion attempts (one succesful but non violent), etc. I guess you don't want to be around me... its dangerous.

iT DEPENDS ON THE GUN

I carry Israeli draw, SOB. I have practiced presenting and firing at my berm a lot.I do not care if I am carrying a load of groceries. I can buy more. It takes me no more time to present this way than to draw and fire from a loaded chamber.

This is my personal choice. It is what I am comfortable with and how I trained since 2006.

I am happy with it.
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast