To Chamber or Not to Chamber? - Page 5
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 180

Thread: To Chamber or Not to Chamber?

  1. This is my first exposure to the Israeli Instinctive method. The Israeli's warefare successes are noteworthy but:

    Why is the right elbow pointed "up" during the draw?

    Why is the gun presented sideways before engaging the target?

    Why is the gun brought back to a sideways position after firing ceases?

  2.   
  3. #42
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    GA but a resident of TN
    Posts
    170
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike (Michigan) View Post
    This is my first exposure to the Israeli Instinctive method. The Israeli's warefare successes are noteworthy but:

    Why is the right elbow pointed "up" during the draw?

    Why is the gun presented sideways before engaging the target?

    Why is the gun brought back to a sideways position after firing ceases?
    My first exposure also but I have a theory type answer for your questions 2 and 3

    I believe it to be easier to see your target with the gun angled if not your entire target then atleast the portion of your target below your weapon ie. thier hands, as for going sideways after fire ceases I believe that is to ensure the chamber is empty (just a view point for you and your bystander, camera or instructor. If you train like that then that is what youll do instinctivly. I might be completly wrong but we shall see what others think. The elbow thing might just be some weird stuff they do or they (he) might find that to be the comfortable way to make a quick draw because you cant say hes not fast.
    "The purpose of war is not to die for your country. The purpose of war is to ensure that the other guy dies for his country." - General Patton

  4. #43

    Smile Alwyas loaded and chambered

    1 in the pipe and 15 in the mag.. otherwise its a hammer... what happens if you cant rack the slide? Strong side somehow injured?
    I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6

  5. My dad and I disagree on this subject, but I always carry a fully loaded gun.

  6. #45
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    northern kentucky across from cincinnati
    Posts
    4
    what is the point of cc if you are going to let the bad guy get the jump on you. that slight time difference could cost you plenty!

  7. #46
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Sunny South Florida
    Posts
    486
    I guess I cannot imagine having time to rack the slide if a firearm must be used in self-defense. Although here in Florida there is not duty to retreat law anymore, retreat still IS the first choice in EVERY confrontation if it is available. This is SELF-DEFENSE not military tactictal!

    Self defense with a firearm is when you are confronted with a situation with no other way out. This generally means the assailant is within you immediate area (7-10 feet), is generally armed and is already threatening your safety ... and you are going to pull a gun AND RACK IN A ROUND?

    If you have the time to do that, you probably have the time to RUN! If you think a situation is GOING to get dangerous and you pick up you gun and rack a round to be ready rather than getting the ******* out of there, then you are using very poor judgement and training and violating the law in many areas.

    YES, if your choice is carry with the chamber empty or don't carry the gun, then by all means carry empty, but think really hard if you are actually PREPARED to DEFEND yourself, or if you are just playing macho gun totin' dude?

  8. my goal is only to be a macho carrying a gun guy...

    I like how some post are just so plainly cut and dry, you must carry a gun with a round in the chamber, if you don't you are carrying a hammer and are a complete idiot because you don't know how to chamber a round and your are "*********". I am pretty sure with the practice I have and the muscle memory of drawing my gun and chambering, is faster than most that just draw, or reach down to draw from an ankle holster or where you have to un-tuck your over shirt for a compression shirt holster. So with some of these replies saying that I am dead if I don't chamber one is completely false.

    I have an honest question, has there been a situation where somebody who carries a CCW, actually had to react to a situations where they shot an assailant? I feel we are there to keep peace by being prepared to act. Now has there been a situation where somebody was killed or injured because "it wasn't loaded" and accidentally discharged a round?

    Maybe I am being too cautious or too safe, but I would rather have the split second to chamber, then somebody to be injured or killed. This is my comfort level right now. With 4 daughters under the age of 10, why take that chance? I could be unconscious from an auto accident, or a reaction to a prescription drug, slip and fall on the ice, these are more likely to happen then when/if I need to draw my gun. The only way I would be dead before I could draw and chamber is if the assailant had me in his scopes.

    Please don't refer to me as an idiot that's just carrying a hammer and is automatically dead because it will take me 5 minutes to chamber a round. But as a concerned CCW holder that is taking my constitutional right with understanding the consequences that come along with it.

  9. Quote Originally Posted by Socket View Post
    I like how some post are just so plainly cut and dry, you must carry a gun with a round in the chamber, if you don't you are carrying a hammer and are a complete idiot because you don't know how to chamber a round and your are "*********".
    Doesn't pertain to my comments, so ok..

    Quote Originally Posted by Socket View Post
    I am pretty sure with the practice I have and the muscle memory of drawing my gun and chambering, is faster than most that just draw, or reach down to draw from an ankle holster or where you have to un-tuck your over shirt for a compression shirt holster.
    Doubtful, at best.

    Quote Originally Posted by Socket View Post
    So with some of these replies saying that I am dead if I don't chamber one is completely false.
    That's one version of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Socket View Post
    I have an honest question, has there been a situation where somebody who carries a CCW, actually had to react to a situations where they shot an assailant?
    CCW's have shot many times.

    Quote Originally Posted by Socket View Post
    I feel we are there to keep peace by being prepared to act.
    No, that is the job of police and security officers. I'm not around to keep the peace, i'm carrying to protect myself, and my family.
    Quote Originally Posted by Socket View Post
    Now has there been a situation where somebody was killed or injured because "it wasn't loaded" and accidentally discharged a round?
    You can't accidentally discharge a round that isn't loaded so no... There have been however at least one account where someone likely died because the gun wasn't loaded..
    Quote Originally Posted by Socket View Post
    Maybe I am being too cautious or too safe, but I would rather have the split second to chamber, then somebody to be injured or killed. This is my comfort level right now.
    So you are faster than any of us at a draw, but your comfort level is well below ours...great logic.

    Quote Originally Posted by Socket View Post
    With 4 daughters under the age of 10, why take that chance?
    You asked about carrying with one in the chamber not storing.

    Quote Originally Posted by Socket View Post
    I could be unconscious from an auto accident, or a reaction to a prescription drug, slip and fall on the ice, these are more likely to happen then when/if I need to draw my gun.
    If you feel this way, then why carry at all?

    Quote Originally Posted by Socket View Post
    The only way I would be dead before I could draw and chamber is if the assailant had me in his scopes.
    Talk about false bravado.
    Quote Originally Posted by Socket View Post
    Please don't refer to me as an idiot that's just carrying a hammer and is automatically dead because it will take me 5 minutes to chamber a round.
    I never did, but OK.
    Quote Originally Posted by Socket View Post
    But as a concerned CCW holder that is taking my constitutional right with understanding the consequences that come along with it.
    Why'd you ask a question you already had the answer to? You seem a little unsure of yourself and your choices...
    Quick to the gun, Sure of your grip. Quick to the threat, sure of your shot. - Chris Costa

  10. #49
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Bonneau & Goose Creek, SC
    Posts
    441
    My preference is to always have one chambered. For me there is a trade off between safety and preparedness. I like to justify with additional gun safeties and actions. That would include the house, auto/MC, and on my person. The only unchambered weapons are the ones in the safe, cabinet or being maintained.

    I have four children, (one now out of the house and married), have all been taught gun safety and how to shoot since an early age ~3-5 years old. Most have chosen not to shoot guns (maybe because of the cleaning, maintenance and ammo), but knifes, bows and arrows are more their choices, now. My wife and I have even discussed getting my kids CWP when they go to college/leave the house. Have to look into changing local state laws from 21 to 18.

  11. #50
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    GA but a resident of TN
    Posts
    170
    Quote Originally Posted by Socket View Post
    Now has there been a situation where somebody was killed or injured because "it wasn't loaded" and accidentally discharged a round?
    Simply put No. One I have yet seen a weapon that was laying on the ground discharge by its self. It might be my good luck but I have never never seen a weapon accidentally dicharge only ignorant or neglangent discharges. I must ask the question here since we all have heard of someone or know someone that has "accidently" shot themself or someone else while cleaning a weapon, HOW? everyone here knows what the first 3 steps to cleaning a weapon are and if you dont then you should not be handling it.

    Quote Originally Posted by melloyello View Post
    My preference is to always have one chambered. For me there is a trade off between safety and preparedness. I like to justify with additional gun safeties and actions. That would include the house, auto/MC, and on my person. The only unchambered weapons are the ones in the safe, cabinet or being maintained.

    I have four children, (one now out of the house and married), have all been taught gun safety and how to shoot since an early age ~3-5 years old. Most have chosen not to shoot guns (maybe because of the cleaning, maintenance and ammo), but knifes, bows and arrows are more their choices, now. My wife and I have even discussed getting my kids CWP when they go to college/leave the house. Have to look into changing local state laws from 21 to 18.
    Good I thought I was the only "nut" left out there that believed in teaching children at a young age about firearms. I must ask you how many of those shootings where the kid found the dads gun and was showing it to a buddy has your kids taken part in vs the kids who were tought to "fear guns and guns are bad" were involved in.
    "The purpose of war is not to die for your country. The purpose of war is to ensure that the other guy dies for his country." - General Patton

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast