To Chamber or Not to Chamber? - Page 6
Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 180

Thread: To Chamber or Not to Chamber?

  1. #51
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    The High Country
    Posts
    1,029
    Quote Originally Posted by ClearSightTactical View Post
    You can't accidentally discharge a round that isn't loaded so no... There have been however at least one account where someone likely died because the gun wasn't loaded..
    And quite literally THOUSANDS if not MILLIONS of cases across the country and around the world since the Chinese first propelled a projectile with black powder, where innocent men, women and children HAVE been killed because of the plethora of potentially limitless circumstances combined with a round in the chamber when either the weapon malfunctioned or the trigger got accidentally pulled.

    It was probably their fault anyway, but they are still DEAD.

    Hey, let's just stay in denial and preach fully loaded, always under all circumstances for everybody - no compromise.

  2.   
  3. time to get off this post. There a those who love to be the "jerk", then there are those that really want to give some credible advice to someone who is going to need to compromise something. the uncomfortable feeling of having a loaded gun around children vs. a quick response to protect.

    If I were a cop or somebody who is at a constant threat level, I agree 100% with having one in the chamber, which very well may be the case for those that feel strongly about it. But for us average guys where the threat level is low. Low enough that I have never seen one instance where it deemed appropriate to draw and possibly shoot. So from my perspective chambering a round is the only risk or threat.

    I could guess that when a threat increases its around alcohol, which of course is when we are not lawfully allowed to carry.

    I appreciate all replies, with the good and the bad. Thanks for all of those who shared ideas and opinions and even those with insults and rude attitudes.

  4. #53
    First of all, depends on your comfort level. BUT if you're properly trained and very familiar with your carry weapon, and have a holster that prevents anything coming in contact with the trigger, there's not reason not to have it chambered. My greatest concern would be finding myself in a desperate situation and having to take the extra couple of seconds to rack my semi-auto. Could be the diff between walking away and being carried. I carry a S&W Sigma 40 cal which is a double action every shot and has a fairly firm pull, so I'm 100% confident in carrying with a round in the chamber.

  5. Quote Originally Posted by Socket View Post
    time to get off this post. There a those who love to be the "jerk", then there are those that really want to give some credible advice to someone who is going to need to compromise something
    Don't take it personally. We're both fairly new posters, so most of the people on this board have no idea who you are, what kind of personality you have, and what kind of training you have. There's also a lot of people who say things online they would never say to a person's face. Just a personality type. Problem is when you combine that kind of personality, with the fact that it's almost impossible to pick up sarcasm and wit online. We really on body language to really understand a person's expression, and what they're saying. For the internet...well...we have smiley's, and that's about it. How many times have you read someone's post, but didn't understand the reason behind a certain smiley? You likely are interpreting their post in the wrong way.

    I was hesitant at first to carry in Condition 1 (round in chamber), but it depends on a lot of factors. I carry a Sig P239, and when holstered, the trigger is completely covered, and there's no risk of anything snagging the trigger. Even if so, there's the 12.12lbs of pressure required to pull the trigger in double action. With the internal safety mechanism in many Sigs, it's pretty much impossible to have an accidental discharge. Note I said accidental, and not negligent. If you carry a DA/SA pistol, it would be very unwise to carry in SA. Proper grip while drawing is another thing. I've seen some of my coworkers draw the Sig P226 while their finger is touching the trigger guard, which they've occasionally slipped, having their finger rest on the trigger while still drawing. Thank god for DA, for if it was SA, some of these guys would have shot their own foot, or someone else. When I draw, my finger is straight along the slide, as far from the trigger as I can.

    Basically, as long as you exercise safe gun handling, there's very little risk to carrying in Condition 1. If your gun's not on you, it should be unloaded in Condition 4, locked securely in a hard case, with ammunition stored in a different location. There's nothing that upsets me more than somebody carelessly handling a weapon, loaded, or not. These are very basic gun safety precautions we've learned since Boy Scouts.
    Last edited by Aresye; 01-12-2010 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Addition

  6. #55
    Wow.... Being the new guy I just read this thread and all I can say is.... wow.

    Ok a few opinions that don't agree, I can live with that.

    Please forgive me in advance for going off on a rant here, but I read so many things that I wanted to respond to.

    As for me; I ALWAYS carry with one in the chamber. I ALWAYS store it with one in the chamber. Let me tell you why:
    First of all I believe in, teach, and practice the 4 rules of gun safety. That starts with EVERY GUN IS LOADED (ALL THE TIME). If that is true and I know that, then why would I carry an UNloaded gun (not chambered) because from a safety point of view I will treat it as loaded anyway. So much for all these arguments over safety IMHO.
    And yes before you ask, I do have kids in my house, but more on that in a bit.
    The only time I use the decocker is when I am going into the post office or school and I need to unholster my gun while sitting in my truck so I can lock it away. Many because there is limited room to keep it pointed safely.

    When people ask me why I carry a gun, I always reply be asking them why they wear a seat belt? I ask if they have ever been in an accident. Yet we all wear a seat belt because IF we are in an accident it can save our life. Even though I have never been shot at, attacked, etc, I carry a gun because IF I am (or my family is) that gun could save my life.
    As for carrying with one in the pipe I will still use the seat belt analogy. Having a seatbelt is great, but I don't want to try to buckle it while I am in the wreck. I want to know that seat belt is there ready to do it's job while I think about other things like trying to avoid the wreck or minimize the impact.

    I read on of you never lets your kids see your guns, and you keep it locked up... why??

    My 11 year old has been shooting all her life (so has the 6 yr old and the 8 yr old btw) I teach my kids gun safety from day one. I come home and lay my gun on the nightstand when I am not wearing it. yes with one in the chamber. Because safety is in the head not in the hands. And a locked gun is even more useless than an unloaded gun. My kids know the power a gun has. they respect it. When we go shooting they know it is never a toy. To this day they NEVER set foot on the range without telling me the 4 rules of gun safety first.
    In fact I had one of those red rubber training guns one time and my daughter was about 8, I picked up that piece of rubber to show someone what at 1911 looked and felt like and in so doing I 'tagged' my daughters foot. At which point she spent 30 mins ripping into me for pointing a 'gun' at her unsafely. (It made me very proud to see how much she understood gun safety).
    I will tell you she is the first on on my case to put on or lock up my guns if company is coming over. Please don't think I am so careless as to leave them laying around my house all the time.

    One final thing I would like to point out, the question was asked how many times has an unchambered gun shot somebody? I can tell you at least once. Long story a short a child in my town found a .22 in the couch while visiting his father. the child brought it to the mother and she freaked out. she took the gun and started trying to unload it while screaming wildly. Not knowing anything about guns, she pulled the slide back thus chambering a round. She then began beating on the gun to try to figure out how to unload it. Sadly her finger was on the trigger and the gun was pointing at her 2 year old son... the gun discharged and the boy was shot in the head (Thank God he survived).

    These are my choices, I am not saying you are wrong if you don't agree with me but for my self I always want my seat belt on.
    Accidents happen when you have no clue what you are doing.
    Last edited by CaptAmerica; 01-12-2010 at 09:33 PM. Reason: typo
    "Work Hard, Do Your Best, Keep Your Word, Never Get Too Big For Your Britches, Trust In God and Never Forget a Friend. "

  7. Thanks for the advice everybody

    The most convincing idea was the "seatbelt". It's there, but you don't buckle it during an accident. Safe preparedness sounds like the way to go.

    Nobody in my family has ever owned a single gun until I purchased my Glock 26 eight months ago. So I never grew up around them and until 8 months ago never really shot a handgun. I was in the Air Force and qualified as Marksmen in my first time at the range. So it always was in the back of my mind that I could shoot decent. I started shooting blue rock about 2 years ago and have done it maybe 5 times.

    When our horrible President was elected and being politically active, I came to realize that my constitutional right of owing a gun was threatened, I made my purchase. Other factors contributed, increase of live shooters in public places. I always asked myself, "if I was carrying, I could have saved those people's lives".

    My daughters are growing up and I have a huge paternal instinct to obviously protect them. My 2 oldest daughters know about my gun and the safety that is involved with dealing with it. I want them to be able to recognize what it is so if they come across a friend's Dad's gun, what to do. They know my gun only goes in 2 places: on me, or in safe.

    All of your posts have been very helpful in helping me understand the necessity of carrying one in the chamber. In the back of mind, I know this is correct, but still struggle with the safety reassurance that it won't go off accidentally even when we are 100% intent on handling it safe. Still it's human error that leads to accidents.

    We all want to be perfect and have the confidence that we are, but that never stopped a 7th grade friend of mine from being shot in the head when he found a handgun at a friends house. So, maybe some of you will understand my hesitation in chambering a round.

    Theory never has consequences and faith is only real when there is a risk involved. So I risk an accidental misfire, but have faith that I am 100% safe.

  8. #57
    The most convincing idea was the "seatbelt". It's there, but you don't buckle it during an accident. Safe preparedness sounds like the way to go.
    Glad that helped. Honestly I was almost done with this forum, but some good PM's and then your post made me realize we are the good guys, and we are in this world together...

    As for feeling safe, I totally understand. When I lay my gun down at night I make sure the barrel is pointing in a safe direction. You just have to understand the responsibility you have when you choose to arm your self, and that includes safety.
    I have three daughters, and I am very honest with them. I learned along time ago that the more we try to hide something the more they will want to find it. I made Guns a part of our life, and at the same time I made safety a part of our life. My 11 year old loves to horse around and play fight with me, and she always stops when we are playing and says "dad you need to take your gun off so you don't have an accident or something while I kick your butt"
    To me that tells me she gets it.
    That is what works for me, I am no one to tell you what is best for your house.
    "Work Hard, Do Your Best, Keep Your Word, Never Get Too Big For Your Britches, Trust In God and Never Forget a Friend. "

  9. #58
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    The High Country
    Posts
    1,029
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptAmerica View Post
    That is what works for me, I am no one to tell you what is best for your house.
    Ah, the voice of reason. So refreshingly rare around here, it seems.....

  10. #59
    Quote Originally Posted by Cocked _and_Locked View Post
    Ah, the voice of reason. So refreshingly rare around here, it seems.....
    Don't waste your time, a compliment from you holds little meaning. After reading through this forum I have very little respect for you right now.
    "Work Hard, Do Your Best, Keep Your Word, Never Get Too Big For Your Britches, Trust In God and Never Forget a Friend. "

  11. Quote Originally Posted by captamerica View Post
    don't waste your time, a compliment from you holds little meaning. After reading through this forum i have very little respect for you right now.
    lmao! That must have hurt.
    Quick to the gun, Sure of your grip. Quick to the threat, sure of your shot. - Chris Costa

Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast