Full size or compact? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Full size or compact?

We could beat this topic to death. The average DGU shooting distance is less then 21 feet. The average shots fired are two.

I carry a small powerhouse. .44 special wth 165g corbons. I am considering down sizing to a NAA .22mag.
    The whole idea is to stop the threat.

I am not a fan of consealed carry of larger pistols. To much weight, bulk, to cold, or to hot. They will often print. I do like to shoot larger pistols at the range because of the advantages.

If you feel you may need more fire power, then bring it.

IMO carry what is most comfortable.

I hope I have not hijacked this thread.

3. I switch between three main carry guns now: Glock 27, Kahr PM40, & a Diamondback 380.

For me, weight & size of a carry gun are IMPORTANT.
    My "big" carry is the G27; 28 oz. loaded to the hilt (Pearce extenders on the mags). I actually shoot this better than my G23, probably because I shoot the 27 all the time.
    My almost everything gun is the Kahr; 21 oz. with 7 rounds (6-shot mag w/ grip extension +1). Light, slim, points/shoots great, 40 cal.; with the 5-shot mag, I can pocket holster this gun all day.
    The DB 380? So small & light (12.5 oz loaded 6+1) that I can forget it's in my pocket. It's thinner & lighter than my Beretta 21 (22LR cal.), and it has SIGHTS! You can actually place shots with this gun! The DB goes places where I'd be tempted to go unarmed, or armed with a 22 or 22mag.

Quote Originally Posted by kevin mosley View Post
    I switch between three main carry guns now: Glock 27, Kahr PM40, & a Diamondback 380.

For me, weight & size of a carry gun are IMPORTANT.
    My "big" carry is the G27; 28 oz. loaded to the hilt (Pearce extenders on the mags). I actually shoot this better than my G23, probably because I shoot the 27 all the time.
    My almost everything gun is the Kahr; 21 oz. with 7 rounds (6-shot mag w/ grip extension +1). Light, slim, points/shoots great, 40 cal.; with the 5-shot mag, I can pocket holster this gun all day.
    The DB 380? So small & light (12.5 oz loaded 6+1) that I can forget it's in my pocket. It's thinner & lighter than my Beretta 21 (22LR cal.), and it has SIGHTS! You can actually place shots with this gun! The DB goes places where I'd be tempted to go unarmed, or armed with a 22 or 22mag.
    The Naa is perfect for deep consealment. I have shot rodents with a .22 mag revolver. It causes a very nasty wound. The report is very loud. If someone would make a J-frame in .22mag, i probably would carry that.
    I am not buying all the hype from gun rags and big bore fans regarding using only larger calibers for SD. I know am will catch arguements for my position.

Quote Originally Posted by theicemanmpls View Post
    We could beat this topic to death. The average DGU shooting distance is less then 21 feet. The average shots fired are two.

I carry a small powerhouse. .44 special wth 165g corbons. I am considering down sizing to a NAA .22mag.
    The whole idea is to stop the threat.

I am not a fan of consealed carry of larger pistols. To much weight, bulk, to cold, or to hot. They will often print. I do like to shoot larger pistols at the range because of the advantages.

If you feel you may need more fire power, then bring it.

IMO carry what is most comfortable.

I hope I have not hijacked this thread.
    You asked, I answered. Actually, to be fair, you did ask what the advantages are. So, I should have begun my reply with "Not necessarily advantages, but differences."

Quote Originally Posted by theicemanmpls View Post
    The Naa is perfect for deep consealment. I have shot rodents with a .22 mag revolver. It causes a very nasty wound. The report is very loud. If someone would make a J-frame in .22mag, i probably would carry that.
    I am not buying all the hype from gun rags and big bore fans regarding using only larger calibers for SD. I know am will catch arguements for my position.
    No argument from me, which is the point of my second paragraph. I just pointed out the differences. Advantage/disadvantage is in the eye of the beholder.
    The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - Thomas Jefferson

Most frequently carried: XD 40sc, Glock 39, PM9

Glock 21 with Hornady 45 ACP+P 200 gr XTP in a CrossBreed Super Tuck Deluxe.

The reason? Big clumsy hands.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan

I love my Bersa Thunder Plus 380. Mid sized, no printing if wearing my Uncle Mikes, of my Cross Breed Super Tuck. It fits my hand well and that was most important to me. And I have 16 rounds, again that is important to me. I know in a SD situation a million things can go wrong and I don't want to be the first guy out of bullets.
    Some days I will carry my S&W 38 Chief Special, but honestly the wooden grips are just to small for my hand.

It is all a matter of choice. My GF carries a little pocket pistol because she doesn't like to print while she is dressing all pretty.

I don't think there is any right or wrong answer here
    "Work Hard, Do Your Best, Keep Your Word, Never Get Too Big For Your Britches, Trust In God and Never Forget a Friend. "

Quote Originally Posted by CaptAmerica View Post
    I love my Bersa Thunder Plus 380.
    I have been looking at this gun. I like the fact that it is a medium sized gun. I am going to have to shoot one so I can see how it feels.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan

When you are under five foot tall compact tends to be the largest you can carry LOL.

Life's like a box o' chocolates....That's the way I look at all of the different guns I own. What I carry depends on the day, the climate, where I'm going, what I'm doing and what I'm wearing.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast