Is carrying dangerous? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is carrying dangerous?

id much rather die free and armed, than unarmed and at the mercy of some moron trying to thrive off of another mans accomplishments.

also, its these same morons that plauge this nations judicial system and make it harder for the law abiding American to own firearms.

dont know where i was going with that but oh well.
    lots of good valid points here.

Quote Originally Posted by itsmee View Post
    1) I'm approached by 2 or more BG with guns pointed at me. I don't dare draw because they have the drop on me. While patting me down for my wallet, they discover my gun and take it. At best, I've lost the gun, at worst they shoot me with it. Not having the gun, I've lost my wallet, but the odds are they won't kill me (at least in my area of the country).
    Certainly anything is possible, but I can honestly say I have NEVER heard of it happening, even once, that a private citizen carrying concealed was approached and disarmed by a would be assailant. Not to say it has not happened, if only once, just that it's an extremely unlikely scenario compared to the hundreds of thousands of violent crimes that occur each year.

Quote Originally Posted by itsmee View Post
    2) A home invasion scenario: one or more BG's break in. They have drawn handguns. I manage to get two shots from my 38 special +P into the torso of each (optimistically). They manage to shoot me before they fall (BG'S don't fall as fast as they do in the movies). If I didn't have a gun, they probably would ransack the house, but leave us alone.
    If someone intentionally enters a home where there are occupants, then they likely have something more nefarious in mind that simply ransacking the house. If they unintentionally enter a home where there are occupants, then it's likely the mere presence of a gun, certainly after that first shot is fired, will drive them away.
    Ken Grubb
    Puyallup, WA

4. Quote Originally Posted by RugerP345 View Post

In a worst case scenario, I could fall overgrabbing my chest like I had a heart attack, and have the opportunity to draw.

Wouldn't feighning back pain be more logical thereby allowing you to reach around to your backside?

Quote Originally Posted by alan93 View Post
    Wouldn't feighning back pain be more logical thereby allowing you to reach around to your backside?
    Point and shout, "Squirrel!"
    Ken Grubb
    Puyallup, WA

6. Quote Originally Posted by kengrubb View Post
    point and shout, "squirrel!"
    >ftw<

roflmao

Quote Originally Posted by Instructor_Dennis View Post
    Itsmee, your concerns aren't groundless. The problem is that you visualize yourself as a victim. Learn to develop and practice the warrior's mindset.

You should not be standing where two BG's can walk up and get the drop on you because you should have seen them coming a mile away.

Your remote security system should have picked up the BG's long before they broke into your home - giving you plenty of time to greet them with your Remington 870 shotgun. Start reading here...

Yup... well written. Don't wear the victim hat...

The best weapon you can have is the will to survive and the intellect to make it happen.

The gun is but a tool. The gun is not a magic talisman or shield from evil. It could be a knife or bat if need beÖ Itís all in the mind.
    Good training is invaluable. I'm looking at my schedule for more this year..
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

I'll second the previous post on physical fitness. Being in better shape can also add to your deterance factor. In addition to the increased energy and alertness, improved posture is another benefit typically seen when getting (back) into shape. Having better posture makes you look taller and more confident, which has a visual deterance effect.

Not saying that you won't get attacked if you are in top shape. Bodybuilder Dr. Franco Columbu and his wife were attacked by two muggers after a competition. One of the muggers aproached Franco with a length of chain which he never got to use because Franco's right fist shattered the man's jaw too badly. ( I know, shucks.) The other mugger fled in pannic.

Dr. Franco Columbu is a former boxing champion from Italy, turned powerlifter who set several records in his weight class, turned bodybuilder who was one of Governor Arnold Swartzenegger's contemporaries. He often worked out with Arnold and Dave Drapper. He is now a chiropractor.

Not saying that you have to take up boxing, train to lift realy realy heavy weights, and chissel a contest winning physique, just that improved physical fitness is always a worthy improvement.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123