Is carrying dangerous?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is carrying dangerous?

1. Question Is carrying dangerous?

I am new to guns (having grown up in NYC), but started carrying several months ago. Prior to this I was pretty oblivious to the possibility of being a victim.

Since then however I've been obsessing over every possible scenario that might occur while I'm carrying. (in order to be prepared).

The two situations that make me wonder if I'm really better off with a gun:

1) I'm approached by 2 or more BG with guns pointed at me. I don't dare draw because they have the drop on me. While patting me down for my wallet, they discover my gun and take it. At best, I've lost the gun, at worst they shoot me with it. Not having the gun, I've lost my wallet, but the odds are they won't kill me (at least in my area of the country).

2) A home invasion scenario: one or more BG's break in. They have drawn handguns. I manage to get two shots from my 38 special +P into the torso of each (optimistically). They manage to shoot me before they fall (BG'S don't fall as fast as they do in the movies). If I didn't have a gun, they probably would ransack the house, but leave us alone.

I don't regret the decision to buy a handgun or obtain my CWP but can someone reassure me that my concerns are groundless?

as for me, even in an extreme situation where I may not even have good odds I would rather have a chance than be left totally helpless. and bad guys generally are scared off by a good guy with a gun because they don't want to die either. to them it is the business they chose. so you can bet that if they hear a gun being discharged they will be running away with their pants full. so in my opinion it would be more dangerous not carrying, especially when your life could be on the line.
    You can have my freedom as soon as I'm done with it!!!

It is always better to be able to defend yourself than be completely defenseless. Each situation will be different and require different tactics. This is where training comes in. Take an NRA certified home defense course and/ or Concealed carry course, the more training the better. In each of your scenarios the BG's may decide to shoot you anyway. Being defenseless would not help and may cause the BG's to become even more dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by ronwill View Post
    It is always better to be able to defend yourself than be completely defenseless. Each situation will be different and require different tactics. This is where training comes in. Take an NRA certified home defense course and/ or Concealed carry course, the more training the better. In each of your scenarios the BG's may decide to shoot you anyway. Being defenseless would not help and may cause the BG's to become even more dangerous.
    This was my thoughts exactly!

Itsmee, your concerns aren't groundless. The problem is that you visualize yourself as a victim. Learn to develop and practice the warrior's mindset.

You should not be standing where two BG's can walk up and get the drop on you because you should have seen them coming a mile away.

Your remote security system should have picked up the BG's long before they broke into your home - giving you plenty of time to greet them with your Remington 870 shotgun. Start reading here...

Dennis Young

[email protected]
    www.theshootingschool.org

NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, and Personal Protection Instructor
    Law Enforcement Force-on-Force Instructor
    ASI Certified Baton Instructor
    ASI Certified Defense Spray Instructor
    Member - National Concealed Firearms Instructors Association

7. Unfortunately, you probably won't know what you will do in a situation until it happens. keep practice shooting and weapons training to build your self confidence with the responsibility of carrying. You will normally instinctively do what you train to do when a situation occurs. Practice doe not make perfect, perfect practice does.

Quote Originally Posted by Instructor_Dennis View Post
    Itsmee, your concerns aren't groundless. The problem is that you visualize yourself as a victim. Learn to develop and practice the warrior's mindset.

You should not be standing where two BG's can walk up and get the drop on you because you should have seen them coming a mile away.

Your remote security system should have picked up the BG's long before they broke into your home - giving you plenty of time to greet them with your Remington 870 shotgun. Start reading here...

+1, Very good observations and advice.

1) I'm approached by 2 or more BG with guns pointed at me. I don't dare draw because they have the drop on me. While patting me down for my wallet, they discover my gun and take it. At best, I've lost the gun, at worst they shoot me with it. Not having the gun, I've lost my wallet, but the odds are they won't kill me (at least in my area of the country).
    I don't buy this at all. If they are going to shoot you, they'll shoot you, regardless of whether they find a gun. If they weren't going to shoot you to begin with, and then they take your gun, they aren't necessarily going to shoot you. They get your wallet and your gun and have no more incentive to shoot you than if they just took the wallet.

First let me say that just because you do not have a gun and do not fight back does not mean the BG will leave without harming you or your loved ones. Punks love unarmed victims. As others have said practice as much as you can including doing as much dry firing at home as possible.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Good answers all. I would rather hope to get my two or three shots off and take out all the BG's than to hope that because I am unarmed they will leave me be after they get what they want. As noted, that is not usually the mindset.

Either they are trigger pullers or they are not and your not being armed is not going to change that, so I at least want the option to pull my own!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast