The Micro Guns
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Micro Guns

The Micro Guns

My son in law is in the market for a small pocket .380... His main carry is a Glock 23 RTF2 that he carries in a Kholster. He likes the rig very well. However, he works a job that sometimes requires a lot of bending, squatting or crawling. The IWB kholster with a medum size gun is not comfortable when having to be in some of these positions. His job sometimes places him in very bad areas of town and as such he likes being armed. He is very interested in having a small cigarette pack size pistol that he can just keep in a pocket holster when his job requires that he get down and dirty...lol. The overwhelming favorites on this site appear to be the Ruger LCP and Kel-Tec P-3AT. I would like to get opinions of each.

Went to the gun show yesterday and checking out the big three pocket rockets available.. i.e the Ruger LCP, Kel-Tec P-3AT and Taurus TCP, The Taurus gets my vote hands down. The biggest thing I like about the Taurus is that the slide stays locked open after the last round. I like to know when I am empty and it makes for faster reloading. DAO trigger pull is about 6lbs. Also like the titanium slide and polymer frame. The gun sells for about $300. It's the ammo that will empty your wallet!! Does anyone here have the Taurus TCP and how do you like it?

YouTube - Gunblast.com - Taurus PT 738 TCP .380 Pocket Pistol

Hey Glockster, hope this helps. I have a Ruger LCP with the Crimson laser. I think the laser is the right option for this gun. It is light and easy to carry/conceal. Just noticed the laser is not working and think the batteries are dead. I am surprised the batteries went so soon. Will check that out and let you know. It is quite accurate for a small gun. It was impressive at 45' out. Very consistent though of course this is not a gun for that distance. The new Ruger LCR has my interest and I think that is something you should look into.
    A bit more expensive but without a doubt very well made is the Kahr P380. Got one for my wife. This is a great gun built and works like a real semi auto. The slide locks open after the last round is fired whick the Ruger does not do.
    The LCP is impressive and would get another one. The LCR (Light Carry Revolver) is interseting but have not tried it. The Kahr, if you want to spend the $$ is worth it for sure! Check out the Kahr P380. I am going to put a laser on that and never upset my wife! lol Good luck. Let us know what your son in law decides. Hope this helped some.

IF he has the $$$, I'd also have him check out the Sig P238.. It is a copy of the old Colt Mustang..

It is a little bigger than the P-3AT, which actually makes it fit the hand better, but will still fit in a pocket fine.
    It is costlier, but well made and based mostly somewhat on the 1911 design.. It has a slide lock, real sights on it, a half cock, safety lever - no polymer..
    My wife has one, and she loves it..

Gulf Coast, Floriduh
    Sccy is the limit

My primary carry is a Kel-Tec P-3AT which I like a lot (carry it in a www.pocketholsters.com holster). I also have an LCP with the CT laser, and as already noted here in real world observation, the problem is the laser switch can easily be depressed in "storage" and suddenly ... dead batteries. However the LCP is also a great little gun and the laser is cool when it works.

I have not shot either the Taurus or the Kahr but based on appearance and reputation both seem like nice guns ... I really like the Kahr except the $$$. I have a Kahr PM9 which also makes a decent pocket weapon but is just a bit too big for my taste in pocket so it winds up IWB so I could go with a bigger weapon there (Glock, Sig, whatever) with little loss.

just my .02

I dunno...I still like my PPK/S.
    NRA Life; GOA Life; CCRKBA Life; Trustee, NJCSD; F&AM: 32 & KT
    The Only Answer to a Bad Guy with a Gun - Is a Good Guy with a Gun!
    When Seconds Count...The Police are only MINUTES Away!

Yes Capgun, he is looking for the DAO trigger...

Quote Originally Posted by Glockster20 View Post
    Yes Capgun, he is looking for the DAO trigger...
    Glockster20.. I'm sure you will help your son-in-law make a great decision..

The P238 is a great gun, but as with all things, it is not for everyone or every situation..
    We are quite satisfied with our purchase, and with our positive experience, I do promote the gun, but respect everyone's personal choices for many reasons..
    Happy gun shopping!! Let us know what you purchase, and how it work out!!!

Gulf Coast, Floriduh
    Sccy is the limit

Just a thought:

Have you looked at 9x18 Makarov? like FEG's, basically a Walther PPK in 9x18 Mak instead of .380 ?

Teensy bit more power in the size of a .380,

Ammo about 20 cents a round instead of 80 cents a round, and more plentiful, and a bit more powerful.

Bullet diameter just a smidgen bigger thn .380

Just a thought, because it's true that "It's the ammo that will empty your wallet!! "

I have an AMT Backup (same as OMC, discontinued model) , Seecamp (kicks hard), Diamondback DB380 (unfired yet) and Taurus PT58 (big for a .380)
    I'm looking into the FEG 9x18 myself though, for above stated reasons..

2bear... Thanks for bringing up the Kahr P380! That is one he nor myself had considered. I am wondering if he will want to spend the $$$. I will certainly make him aware of it.

I think he has his mind pretty much set on the Taurus. However, I thought I would queury the group and see if anybody has one or has fired one. I have heard good things about the Ruger LCP... once the recall issue was fixed anyway.

RPB... Thank you for bringing up the Makarov... Another one I hadn't thought of...lol. You are right about the ammo being cheaper. I will bring that to his attention and let him weigh the options.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast